Shoutbox

How to make Good Logos - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How to make Good Logos (/showthread.php?tid=65228)

How to make Good Logos by Nagamasa on 08-22-2006 at 05:32 AM

How can I make (or the best way to create) logos of any sort (avatar, sigs, company brand, etc) using a free program from the Internet (or default on XP)?

RE: How to make Good Logos by kittymew on 08-22-2006 at 05:42 AM

in the microsoft free downoads section..at www.microsoft.com
or

http://www.filehippo.com/download_paint.net/

"Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 2000, XP, or Server 2003. It started development at Washington State University as an undergraduate senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. It is meant to be a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with all Windows operating systems.

Paint.NET has many of the powerful features that expensive commercial applications have, including the ability to use layers. We welcome any suggestions, and provide the source code for final releases under the MIT License.

Paint.Net requires the .NET Framework 2 in order to run"

its free ..and paint is a good program...

RE: How to make Good Logos by kao on 08-22-2006 at 06:05 AM

Gimp, basically a free version of photoshop.

RE: How to make Good Logos by Adeptus on 08-22-2006 at 06:08 AM

The main thing you will need is some artistic ability -- no matter what tools you use, if you want an original design, you will have to visualize and draw it.

As far as tools, you will need some vector graphics editor and sufficient skills to use it.  Common commercial software choices for vector drawing are Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW.  The only free application of that type that I know of is Inkscape.

Don't confuse these programs with raster graphics editors, such as Adobe Photoshop and all sorts of Paint-this, Paint-that.  Raster graphics are all about bitmaps of fixed size and resolution.  Vector graphics are all about lines and shapes, and can be rendered at any size and resolution, without loss of quality. 

Commercial printing requires designs in vector format.  One can always render a vector graphic to raster at any desired resolution, but not the other way around.  If you want your work to be done right and even remotely close to professional standards, you will want to use vector graphics.  Creating an original logo using raster graphics might be acceptable only if it is intended exclusively for web use.

RE: How to make Good Logos by dylan! on 08-22-2006 at 07:03 AM

the BESTEST images and stuff I've ever seen were done in paint:P :cheesy:

RE: How to make Good Logos by Zahid™ on 08-22-2006 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
Gimp, basically a free version of photoshop.

RE: How to make Good Logos by saralk on 08-22-2006 at 09:11 AM

http://msig.info/web2.php

RE: How to make Good Logos by -dt- on 08-22-2006 at 09:20 AM

Step 1: Open a conversation with Leejeffery
Step 2: Beg
Step 3: walk away with your new logo

RE: How to make Good Logos by CookieRevised on 08-22-2006 at 10:10 AM

tbh, the program you make them in isn't important; you can use whatever program you like. The big factor in creator good logo's is your own imagination and skill.

-------------

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
lol (y)
RE: How to make Good Logos by Nagamasa on 08-22-2006 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
tbh, the program you make them in isn't important; you can use whatever program you like.

Of course I know that Cookie. I'm saying, whats the best program to do this, not any old program.
RE: How to make Good Logos by RaceProUK on 08-22-2006 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NagamasaAzai
whats the best program to do this
For a professional look, you need a professional tool. This is where programs like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro are ideal, along with the GNU alternative, The GIMP. If you're not bothered about having loads of fancy features, then Macromedia Fireworks, Paint.NET et al will suffice.

And for the really hardcore, there's always pbrush.exe :P
RE: How to make Good Logos by John Anderton on 08-22-2006 at 04:37 PM

id go for something like photoshop cause thats what i use. Tho i dont know much of image editing and stuff. I find it easy enough to use and the online help database more than enough for me to create what ever i want (sig/avatar :P)
If you want to go for something free then you could go for something like Paint.NET which is good.

Tbh your skill matters more than your software cause the latter is only secondary, important none the less in its own way for obvious reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
:lol:

Which reminds me i still need a logo ....
* John Anderton fetches jelly