Shoutbox

AIM plugin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: AIM plugin (/showthread.php?tid=65263)

AIM plugin by inoesomestuff on 08-23-2006 at 12:17 AM

Hi, i was wondering if anyone has tried to make a plugin for Msg+ that would allow MSN to chat with users from AIM. i thought about this because MSN is now allowing yahoo users and would it be possible to spoof that so it woudl connect to AIM and allow basic features like chat and sendfile. the plugin for this i think wouldnt be too big because i used something called TerraIM (http://terraim.sourceforge.net/) that is a standalone program that connects to AIM network and the file is under a meg

RE: AIM plugin by Hank on 08-23-2006 at 12:20 AM

cant be done

RE: RE: AIM plugin by brian on 08-23-2006 at 12:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by HSV
cant be done

Try to make less spammy and more helpful posts.  Atleast take the time to use punctuation.

inoesomestuff: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=62721 for things that scripts can't do.
RE: AIM plugin by RaceProUK on 08-23-2006 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by inoesomestuff
Hi, i was wondering if anyone has tried to make a plugin for Msg+ that would allow MSN to chat with users from AIM. i thought about this because MSN is now allowing yahoo users and would it be possible to spoof that so it woudl connect to AIM and allow basic features like chat and sendfile. the plugin for this i think wouldnt be too big because i used something called TerraIM (http://terraim.sourceforge.net/) that is a standalone program that connects to AIM network and the file is under a meg
The funny thing is, the very first versions of MSN Messenger could use the AIM network. However, AOL closed their network off to Microsoft, and have never re-opened it.

There are some multi-protocol clients out there, programs like Trillian, gAIM et al. These allow you to sign in simultaneously on Windows Live Messenger, Y!IM and AIM, among other networks. Though you do have to have an account on each network you want to use, obviously.
RE: AIM plugin by absorbation on 08-23-2006 at 10:55 AM

It's all about the protocol and companies allowing other companies to connect to it. MSN Messenger and Yahoo! share the same protocol (SIMPLE) and AOL and Google share the same protocol (XMPP). That's why Microsoft chose Yahoo! to have it's integration with and not another company, the same applies to Yahoo! and Google.

When I say share, I mean they use that protocol system, they don't share the same servers etc together :P

RE: AIM plugin by RaceProUK on 08-23-2006 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
MSN Messenger and Yahoo! share the same protocol (SIMPLE)
MSN Messenger uses MSNP, not SIMPLE. I don't know what Yahoo! uses, but it won't be MSNP. The interop is between the two networks using a mapping between the protocols.
RE: AIM plugin by ShawnZ on 08-23-2006 at 11:31 AM

quote:
AOL and Google share the same protocol (XMPP).

Google uses jabber...
RE: AIM plugin by MattyRid on 08-23-2006 at 11:33 AM

Perhaps someone could make a stand alone program like IMTiger. However, IMTiger is only for versions upto 7.5, so does anyone know if they are going to update it?

RE: AIM plugin by Volv on 08-23-2006 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
MSN Messenger and Yahoo! share the same protocol (SIMPLE)
MSN Messenger uses MSNP, not SIMPLE. I don't know what Yahoo! uses, but it won't be MSNP. The interop is between the two networks using a mapping between the protocols.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
AOL and Google share the same protocol (XMPP).

Google uses jabber...

I don't think SIMPLE is a defined protocol, I believe it's more like a protocol design technique (NB: I suck at explaining stuff) which both MSN and Yahoo utilise making it relatively easy for their two specific protocols to translate into one another.
Similarly, Jabber is based on XMPP or vice versa - not sure.

EDIT: Well here's what Wikipedia had to say:
quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia
In computing, SIMPLE (Session Initiation Protocol for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions) is an instant messaging (IM) and presence protocol suite based on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). Like XMPP, and in contrast to the vast majority of IM and presence protocols used by software deployed today, SIMPLE is an open standard.

SIMPLE applies the SIP to the problems of:
- Registering for presence information and receiving notifications when such events occur, for example when a user logs-in or comes back from lunch.
- Managing a session of real-time messages between two or more participants.

As of 2006, SIMPLE was IETF work in progress, taking place in the simple workgroup. Some parts have been standardized, e.g. RFC 3428. Other parts, in particular IM sessions, are still under discussion. However, several implementations are already available, notably including the Microsoft Windows Messenger.

SIMPLE is not the only IM protocol suite being developed within the IETF. XMPP, based on the Jabber technology, is a competitor

Despite its name, SIMPLE is not simple. It is defined by about 30 documents or more than 1000 pages (7 times more than HTTP 1.1, 15 times more than SMTP and IRC).

RE: AIM plugin by RaceProUK on 08-23-2006 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
I don't think SIMPLE is a defined protocol, I believe it's more like a protocol design technique
I think you're right:
SIMPLE
RE: AIM plugin by Aardvark on 08-24-2006 at 05:25 AM

Lol if you're THAT desperate to get an IM client which connects to all IM protocol types, then how about breaking into EACH AND EVERY ONE of the places where the server is maintained, switch the server to the one you want, and then hey presto problem solved. If you think this is a good idea...wake up you're dreaming

RE: AIM plugin by RaceProUK on 08-24-2006 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
Lol if you're THAT desperate to get an IM client which connects to all IM protocol types, then how about breaking into EACH AND EVERY ONE of the places where the server is maintained, switch the server to the one you want, and then hey presto problem solved. If you think this is a good idea...wake up you're dreaming
There was absolutely no need for that.
RE: AIM plugin by Aardvark on 08-25-2006 at 11:40 AM

Oh come on dude I'm just joking around! Oh man now I have a negative reputation:(

RE: RE: AIM plugin by MattyRid on 08-25-2006 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
Oh come on dude I'm just joking around! Oh man now I have a negative reputation:(

Well then don't post it..we don't need threads with questions full of people joking around.

As I said in my previous post IMTiger was a good add-on which I used all the time, however, haven't seen a new version yet so I'm wondering if a new one is to be released?
RE: AIM plugin by Aardvark on 08-25-2006 at 11:49 AM

Ok sorry:(