Shoutbox

[Request] Recieved Files Renamer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Request] Recieved Files Renamer (/showthread.php?tid=65428)

[Request] Recieved Files Renamer by Chris4 on 08-26-2006 at 07:06 PM

I always find that when I'm going through My Recieved Files, I can never remember who they are from.

Would it be possible to make a script that automatically renamed the recieved files to: %email% (%num%) with a number afterwards so they don't get overwritten.

%email% = The person who sent the file's e-mail address
%num% = Number starting from 1

Appearing like this: someone@msn.com (1).JPG
(Prosuming you were sent a JPG file)

And if someone wanted to work on a slightly bigger project, the script could include a menu item on thePlus! icon, with a settings panel, and you can change the %email% (%num%) to whatever you want. Also, maybe you can select this just for images, etc.

Just an idea, maybe too much work needed :P
I'm sure a simple script would be fine.

RE: [Request] Recieved Files Renamer by saralk on 08-26-2006 at 07:10 PM

Its not a simple script, because the current scripting system doesn't do anything when a file is received, so if someone was to make it, they'd have to intercept the internet communication.

RE: [Request] Recieved Files Renamer by Chris4 on 08-26-2006 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Its not a simple script, because the current scripting system doesn't do anything when a file is received, so if someone was to make it, they'd have to intercept the internet communication.
Hmm, k.

End of that idea then. :-\
RE: [Request] Recieved Files Renamer by hmaster on 08-26-2006 at 08:58 PM

Dempsey made -> http://www.dempseysoftware.com/downloads/ReceivedFiles.exe (sorts into audio/video/archives etc..)
Maybe he could make it work the way you want it to *-)

RE: [Request] Recieved Files Renamer by Chris4 on 08-27-2006 at 09:39 PM

For MSN Messenger, not WLM :-\

Thanks anyway.

Anyone else like the diea idea of this script?

RE: [Request] Recieved Files Renamer by Dempsey on 08-28-2006 at 10:03 AM

The idea is very good and has been requested many times before, but it is just not paticually easy to code.  As there are no events for file transfer, it would involve either packet sniffing, hooking the windowless richedit control or active accesability reading the conversation window.

More threads:
Looking for Plugin
My Received Files
Who Sent It
idea for a feature
* Received File Sorting *
Custom recieved files folders

RE: [Request] Recieved Files Renamer by CookieRevised on 08-28-2006 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
The idea is very good and has been requested many times before, but it is just not paticually easy to code.  As there are no events for file transfer, it would involve either packet sniffing, hooking the windowless richedit control or active accesability reading the conversation window.
The recieved file (after downloading) can easly be "grabbed" by making a small app which goes in place of the virus scanner setting in the Messenger preferences (the app could also forward the file to the current virusscanner if needed/requested of course).

To know from whom the file is (who send it) is another thing, for that you indeed need one of the things listed...