Shoutbox

2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! (/showthread.php?tid=65510)

2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by Mentality on 08-28-2006 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://pspupdates.qj.net
Today hundreds of PSP's will say hello to the world as they run their first piece of homebrew - the "Hello World" application. This will be made possible by a new exploit found that does not require one to own a copy of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, but rather load a simple image off of your memory stick. This remarkable demonstration can be executed on 2.0, 2.01, 2.50, 2.60, 2.70, 2.71, and 2.80 firmwares!

If you are stumbling while reading this sentence, I wouldn’t be surprised. I just told you that you are now able to execute a homebrew application on 2.0-2.80 firmware. Now that you know it is possible, you are probably wondering how. With the combined effort of several dedicated users – NOPx86 (provided the original x86 proof of concept), psp250, skylark, joek2100, jimp, cswindle and Fanjita, they have managed to execute the first piece of homebrew on all firmwares above (and including) 2.0!

Less than a week ago, Fanjita dropped by our forums to tell us that a newly discovered exploit is indeed genuine and a usable exploit. This “exploit” started off as a discovery by NOPx86 in libtiff. He managed to find vulnerability and as a result – alter it to crash the PSP and many other image viewers. Fanjita, NOPx86 and the rest of this exploit team have put their hearts and souls into this exploit, and as a result they were able to execute a Hello World application on all PSP’s with the ability to view tiff files (2.0+). This application runs in "User Mode", but kernel mode will be achievable on all firmwares except 2.80.

Full Article

[Image: hw_all_qjgenth.jpg]

A little video of the exploit in action this is my 2.71 psp saying HELLO WORLD and also piece of mind for people who think it might brick their psp - IT WON'T

Opens in windows media player, or right click and save target as. File is 11mb

Quality of the video isn't great, but it prooves the point, thus serving it's purpose.

Don't think I can post the links to the exploit, just PM me if you are interested and someone correct me if I can post them please.

NOTE - THIS DOES NOT DOWNGRADE YOU PSP, IT IS A PROOF OF CONCEPT OF HOMEBREW RUNNING ON 2.00+ PSP'S WITHOUT GTA-LCS
RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by M73A on 08-28-2006 at 06:29 PM

omg! YES :D:D:D:D please say can get emulators and loaders on 2.7 ... i updated like a day before the 2.6 exploit was found... lol

RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by Mentality on 08-28-2006 at 06:44 PM

I did the same as you (except a week before, you got pwned more than me :P) and ended up buying a new psp and downgraded it, you may be able to get an exchange, I couldnt because I bought mine from the US and they wont exchange them in the UK.

Anyhow, no not just yet, although this opens the door for a potential downgrader or emulator, but more likely a downgrader, which is preferable so sit tight. Do not upgrade above what you are already. I say this incase Sony brings out any suprise updates in sight of this new exploit.

Soon you should be in the world of 1.50 or now even 1.00 which is already possible for people with 1.50.

But I will only going to 1.00 on my currently 2.71 PSP :D Since there is always a slight risk - AS WITH ANY DOWNGRADER, of bricking your system. (If a downgrader comes out that is.)

RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by aNILEator on 08-28-2006 at 08:49 PM

damn my RSOD'd PSP :'(

RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by RaceProUK on 08-28-2006 at 10:15 PM

Slight problem: you can't put the PSP into standby with this running.
In fact, you can't actually turn the damn thing off!

2.80 firmware.

* RaceProUK goes to remove battery

That wasn't my initial reaction. It started off with 'Fuck, I crashed it!', followed shortly by 'Holy shit! This actually works!' :cheesy:

* RaceProUK might start looking for homebrew now

I got a weird flickering with it though.

RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by M73A on 08-28-2006 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK

2.80 firmware.

That wasn't my initial reaction. It started off with 'Fuck, I crashed it!', followed shortly by 'Holy shit! This actually works!' :cheesy:

what did you put on it sorry? :S

RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by DarkMe on 08-28-2006 at 11:38 PM

I removed the battery while updating and still not working :s

RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by Mentality on 08-29-2006 at 10:29 AM

While updating what, this is just a proofe of concept, its not a downgrader, and doesn't mean that you can start running homebrew, just means that doors have been opened and MAYBE soon you will be able to play homebrew on newer firmware, or downgrade. But at the minute this is NOT possible guys.

RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by ShawnZ on 08-29-2006 at 10:30 AM

quote:

its up to the application to respond to "home" and the power switch.
RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by RaceProUK on 08-29-2006 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
what did you put on it sorry?
My PSP has the 2.80 firmware, the one where you can't get kernel access yet. Which is probably why I couldn't turn the thing off.
quote:
Originally posted by darkme
I removed the battery while updating and still not working
While updating the firmware? Congratulations, you've successfully bricked your PSP.
RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by Mentality on 08-29-2006 at 10:36 AM

quote:

2.80 firmware.

The flickering is normal, and it does require a hard reset, again this is just a prototype, beta, POC, so don't even bother looking for homebrew yet, this is still not possible apart from this tiny little app. just keep your eyes peeled, I will be sure to keep everybody updated :D

quote:
Originally posted by darkme
I removed the battery while updating and still not working :s

quote:
While updating the firmware? Congratulations, you've successfully bricked your PSP.
:lol: PWNED
RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by ShawnZ on 08-29-2006 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
this is still not possible apart from this tiny little app

of course its possible, they just haven't coded any loader for it yet.
RE: 2.0-2.80 Firmware PSP's Say - "Hello World" as New Exploit is Found! by Mentality on 08-30-2006 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
this is still not possible apart from this tiny little app

of course its possible, they just haven't coded any loader for it yet.

I meant

This isn't possible at the minute Sorry :P

\/And A little update for whats to come guys. \/

quote:
Originally posted by www.noobz.eu
So what happens next? This shows that we can run code via this exploit. It won't be too hard to develop an eLoader that can use this exploit on v2.0 - v2.6. v2.7+ will be harder, due to extra security, but will happen a little later. Kernel mode is unavailable on v2.8, but it is likely that a downgrader is possible on all other firmwares. But then, with the possibility of kernel homebrew running without the need for a game UMD, why would you need to downgrade?

Full credit is given in the Hello World, but repeated here: Thanks to NOPx86 for the initial proof of concept on the x86 processor, and psp250, Skylark, Joek2100, CSwindle, JimP and Fanjita for the PSP work. Thanks also to Ditlew, HarleyG and our families for general support during this work.

I like the fact they say it's easy to create the e-loader :D This means that there is absolutly no doubt that something will come of this exploit. Instead of it just being false hope for everybody.