Shoutbox

Router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Router (/showthread.php?tid=65517)

Router by Rodney on 08-28-2006 at 09:05 PM

In a couple of days I will be getting a new laptop. It's supposed to be ready to get online, but I've been looking into routers and they've got different sorts of connections. (802.11g etc.) How will I know what type of router I should get? Also, I want to keep my desktop pc hooked up with the wire, and if possible want to make it so that I can access data on the pc with the laptop. I think I can do that by getting a router with a switch built in, is that true?

RE: Router by DarkMe on 08-28-2006 at 09:16 PM

It depends on the wireless card you have the router you need. And for conect a pc to laptop you can use remote acces

RE: Router by Rodney on 08-28-2006 at 09:20 PM

Point is, I don't know what kind of wireless card the laptop has.

RE: Router by DarkMe on 08-28-2006 at 09:29 PM

Go to Control Panel > Red & Internet Connections > Wireless Red Connections > Properties and i think you'll find what kind of wireless card is

RE: Router by cloudhunter on 08-28-2006 at 09:30 PM

If it is 802.11b/g, any 802.11g router would serve your needs. Just make sure it has at least 1 ethernet port on it, or you wont be able to connect to your computer. Do you have an internet connection youd like to share?

Cloudy

RE: Router by Rodney on 08-28-2006 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney
In a couple of days I will be getting a new laptop.

So, yeah.

I was kinda hoping to have the router by the time I got the laptop but it seems I'll have to wait and see what card it's got.
RE: Router by cloudhunter on 08-28-2006 at 09:34 PM

You wont have to wait. If it has a 802.11g wireless card, all wireless routers (g standard) will access it. Just make sure your wireless router supports WPA and WEP, so you are prepared for any kind of encryption.

Cloudy

RE: Router by Rodney on 08-28-2006 at 09:46 PM

Well I'm getting the laptop through my university and all it says in the specs is WLAN, LAN, Modem. However, looking through their site, all of their other laptops seem to have 802.11g so I think it's worth the risk and get one of those.
That leaves my other question: if I buy a router that's also a switch, will I be able to set up a network and access the pc with the laptop and vice versa?

RE: Router by cloudhunter on 08-28-2006 at 09:48 PM

Yes :) Just after you set your wireless up, set it like a normal network. We have a similar setup here, 2 desktops and 1 laptop on wireless, and a desktop on cable, all connecting and accessing through the router.

Cloudy

PS: If you get a 802.11g router, its backwards compatible with 802.11b.

RE: Router by Rodney on 08-28-2006 at 10:06 PM

Right, thanks. I'll be doing some shopping tomorrow then :P

RE: Router by RaceProUK on 08-28-2006 at 10:09 PM

WLAN is WiFi is 802.11b/g is WLAN [Image: msn_wink.gif] It's all just different names for the same thing.
Just like LAN is Ethernet is 802.3 is LAN, and Firewire is IEEE 1394 is Firewire.

And all WiFi G routers will support B, and all N routers will support B and G.

RE: Router by .Roy on 08-28-2006 at 10:12 PM

If you have a g card then you can get a b or g router, i suggest getting a G router, its faster but costs more i think.

RE: Router by Rodney on 08-28-2006 at 10:31 PM

On a related note, in the future I might want to upgrade the laptop to be able to play games on it (currently using the desktop pc for that).
I've read replacing graphics cards in laptops can sometimes be nearly impossible. This is the laptop I'm talking about.* Does anyone know if I'll be able to upgrade its graphics card?

* I just found out it's called Joybook P51 so I googled and now I know for sure it has a 802.11g card :P

RE: Router by lizard.boy on 08-28-2006 at 11:13 PM

General rule of thumb: if your laptop dosn't cost more than $2000 US, then you most likely cant upgrade more than ram and hdd. Only specialty gaming laptops usually let you upgrade stuff like graphics. I think alienware makes at least one model with removeable graphics cards.

RE: Router by MattyRid on 08-29-2006 at 04:53 AM

Not sure about any other routers apart from the NETGEAR RangeMax NEXT wireless routers which have the Draft N Standard. Having a few devices on a g standard, I found that it was pretty easy to cahnge it's settings to allow WEP ecryption.

The RangeMax NEXT may cost a bit more but provided you set it up right, you won't have a problem.

RE: Router by RaceProUK on 08-29-2006 at 10:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
WEP ecryption
Is not very secure at all. It's recommended that you use WPA, which all wireless devices should support now.
RE: RE: Router by MattyRid on 08-29-2006 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
WEP ecryption
Is not very secure at all. It's recommended that you use WPA, which all wireless devices should support now.

depends on what adapters you have though..I'm in the process of fully upgrading everything, so it's not an issue to me anyway as I had already prepared myself for it, and now with another type of encryption (WPA2-PSK (AES)) on the RangeMax NEXT routers is even more reason for me to upgrade my adapters from WPA to. I have a friend who is still on WEP and insisted that if I didn't keep it to WEP he would never get me to service his computer ever again 8-)