Shoutbox

Chat log corrupted file - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Chat log corrupted file (/showthread.php?tid=65590)

Chat log corrupted file by Mattt on 08-30-2006 at 07:10 AM

Recently I have been unable to open the encrypted chat log of a friend, it's around 4mb now and I'd really like to gain access to it again. Basically I input the correct password to decrypt the file and it gets to end where it errors and suggests I reboot. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Chat log corrupted file by RaceProUK on 08-30-2006 at 10:07 AM

There's nothing you can do if the log's become corrupted I'm afraid.

RE: Chat log corrupted file by zedison_c on 08-30-2006 at 11:05 AM

for encrypt chat logs on and off will have this problem i have this problem with the previous version too... but i think its a software error which haven been solve.

RE: Chat log corrupted file by Mattt on 08-30-2006 at 11:14 AM

grah, well there goes 4 months of backup ~_~. Guess I'll just leave them unencrypted from now on to avoid this issues.

RE: Chat log corrupted file by zedison_c on 08-30-2006 at 11:19 AM

yup actually thats a good measure unless you are certain that you are able to remember all your password... there is actually a device that helps you to remember all the password its actually call a TAL-token assist login which enquires you to have your own server etc. which is quite troublesome also... hehe but one good method besides this is that use only one password for all the encryption that you are using...

RE: Chat log corrupted file by Mattt on 08-30-2006 at 01:09 PM

Oh the problem has nothing to do with the passwords, I have the password. It's just as it unencrpts the file it says that an error has occured during the decryption of this file.

RE: Chat log corrupted file by CookieRevised on 08-30-2006 at 01:24 PM

Mattt: What is the exact error message you got. If possible take a screenshot...

But remember:

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
There's nothing you can do if the log's become corrupted I'm afraid.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by zedison_c
there is actually a device that helps you to remember all the password its actually call a TAL-token assist login which enquires you to have your own server etc.
There are thousands of tools and program to store your passwords in (without the need of a 3rd party server), search google.
RE: Chat log corrupted file by Ezra on 08-30-2006 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zedison_c

there is actually a device that helps you to remember all the password its actually call a TAL-token assist login which enquires you to have your own server etc.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

There are thousands of tools and program to store your passwords in (without the need of a 3rd party server), search google.

Keepass for example, safe and free.

EDITED: Major Quote Screw-up, thanks for telling me Cookie.
RE: Chat log corrupted file by Mattt on 08-30-2006 at 08:07 PM

[img=http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5096/untitledkc6.jpg]

RE: Chat log corrupted file by CookieRevised on 08-30-2006 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattt

[Image: untitledkc6.jpg]

That message indicates that there was an error during the decryption process, it doesn't necessarily mean your log is corrupted (otherwise you would have had the "The file you're attempting to open is corrupted or cannot be loaded on this computer" message).

So, your best bet is to try to open it on another computer. Eg: install WLM and Plus! Live on your school's computer and open it and save it from there.

Note: You do have every Windows updates and fixes installed, no? If not, go asap to the Windows Update site and update your Windows and try again.

PS: next time a screenshot of only the message box is enough ;)
RE: Chat log corrupted file by Mattt on 08-31-2006 at 02:41 AM

haha yea sorry about the screen was in a rush to lectures ~_~