Shoutbox

How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? (/showthread.php?tid=65617)

How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? by albert on 08-30-2006 at 06:10 PM

Here's a question which will probably seem dull for most of the advanced people here, but it's something I need to find out for my informatic class, and until here this is what I got :

1- A Virus is going to "fuck up" other files, yet a worm only needs himself to be able to cause the intented damage.

As stupid as this sounds that's the only thing I got.. How else can I differ them without looking at virus or worm site that will tell me what is which? Like if I'm ona computer and I know I got a dangerous file, how can I know which is it?

Any help is really appreciated.

RE: How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? by cloudhunter on 08-30-2006 at 06:14 PM

A worms main task is to duplicate itself as much as possible, and onto as many systems as possible, either using vunerabilities or by email.

Cloudy

Edit: You can't tell them apart just by looking at the file...

RE: How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? by kao on 08-30-2006 at 06:28 PM

Virus:
[Image: flu3c.gif]

Worm:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=721954]

RE: How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? by .Roy on 08-31-2006 at 02:39 PM

A virus like in real life attaches itself to your cells in this case computer programs etc...

A worm just works alone, you dont find it attached to a file or anything, its a file itself that damages your computer.

me thinks.

RE: How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? by ~INVASION~ on 08-31-2006 at 02:43 PM

reminds me of bio class :P

everything being explained about human viruses and sicknesses always seemed to be able to translate just as well to computers, made me laugh from time to time haha

RE: How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? by CookieRevised on 08-31-2006 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alby
Here's a question which will probably seem dull for most of the advanced people here, but it's something I need to find out for my informatic class, and until here this is what I got :

1- A Virus is going to "fuck up" other files, yet a worm only needs himself to be able to cause the intented damage.
That definition is not complete.
A worm is afterall a form of a virus. So it is also a virus.

What a worm also does, and which isn't in the definition, is that it mostly tries to spread thru external connections (eg: email, open ports, etc), while a plane standard virus stays local and only infects files on your own computer.
RE: How Do You Recognize A Virus From A Worm? by DJeX on 08-31-2006 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
Virus:
[Image: flu3c.gif]

Worm:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=721954]

DAMN you beat me to it.