Shoutbox

Is there script to extend more space for nickname? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? (/showthread.php?tid=65631)

Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Bryan84 on 08-31-2006 at 04:43 AM

Cause if we use the default MSN one,it's so short depending on the user name itself

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Panachiba on 09-01-2006 at 12:55 AM

you cant extend more the space of nickname, sorry. script for that, err nop :P.

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Bryan84 on 09-01-2006 at 03:22 AM

Cause before LIVE!, we can enter as much nickname as we want. But now we can't :(

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Dempsey on 09-04-2006 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bryan84
Cause before LIVE!, we can enter as much nickname as we want. But now we can't :(
There were limits before Live Messenger also, and I don't think they have changed.
RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by CookieRevised on 09-04-2006 at 03:56 PM

quote:
No you couldn't. There has always been a restriction on the length of the nickname. It never was different.

The length restriction is also not something done by Messenger Plus!, but internally (protocol) by Messenger itself.

;)

PS: don't double post. If you need to add something before someone has replied, edit your message using the [Image: edit.gif] button underneath your post.
RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by vikke on 09-04-2006 at 04:00 PM

Actually it's Messenger's server..

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Bryan84 on 09-05-2006 at 03:33 AM

haha alright sounds like it's not possible :(

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by albert on 09-05-2006 at 03:46 AM

Actually, if I remember correctly, this was the reason why some people experienced a whole lot of problems signing into WLM not long ago.

What would happen was that smileys would not count as text in nicknames, yet when the connection was going to be made, every letter or symbol was counted. When the person tried connecting to the server, there was too many characters, making the server encounter difficulties and the person not being able to connect.

All that story to say that even if there was any way to do this, you wouldn't want to do it anyways. :)

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Bryan84 on 09-05-2006 at 10:13 AM

Only reason why I want is because some people, i just cannot remenber them by EMail. so i wanna add their nickname

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by CookieRevised on 09-05-2006 at 12:45 PM

In Windows Live Messenger you can add a nickname to whatever contact you whish, the maximum length for this is 40 characters. Way more than enough to have an unique nickname for each contact.

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by markee on 09-05-2006 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In Windows Live Messenger you can add a nickname to whatever contact you whish, the maximum length for this is 40 characters. Way more than enough to have an unique nickname for each contact.
You can also have it display by first and last names which will give you 40 characters for each or if you are smart about it, 40 characters a space and another 40 characters.  If you can't make a name that you remember in that then you're screwed and maybe should use the notes section and check back on it when you wonder who they are.
RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Bryan84 on 09-06-2006 at 08:46 AM

But this 40 chacater is based on if the contact name is already long or not.

What I mean is if I have a contact name that he puts his nick very long, then it will be less than 40 spaces already. Isn't it?

RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by CookieRevised on 09-06-2006 at 08:39 PM

quote:
But this 40 chacater is based on if the contact name is already long or not.

What I mean is if I have a contact name that he puts his nick very long, then it will be less than 40 spaces already. Isn't it?
A contact's friendly name is something different than Windows Live Messenger's nickname.

A contact's friendly name can be 129 characters long, a WLM nickname 40 characters. And as markee pointed out you can also use the first/ last name which is good for 80 characters. The latter two (nick and first/last name) can be set by yourself.

All three are independant to eachother and are set independantly.
All three can be choosen to be visible in the contactlist (but not all together, only one at the time) for the whole contactlist.

Personally I don't see how 40 characters are not enough for putting a nickname for a contact though.
RE: Is there script to extend more space for nickname? by Bryan84 on 09-08-2006 at 03:43 AM

Alright I will test it out then :D