Shoutbox

Encrypt or Hide URL - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Encrypt or Hide URL (/showthread.php?tid=65716)

Encrypt or Hide URL by DJeX on 09-02-2006 at 04:29 AM

Ok. What I'm trying to do is disguise or hide the URL in the right click properties menu for my website. For example if you right click on this page and click properties you will see under address the link to this page. Now I want to hide that with PHP. How can I do it? I've seen it done before.

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by rav0 on 09-02-2006 at 04:47 AM

I guess you mean in Internet Explorer's page properties. It can't be done with PHP, because PHP just preprocesses the HTML before the server sends.

If you've seen it done, it's probably some dodgy hack into Internet Explorer by the page or something installed on the computer. I don't think that there is a designed method to do this.

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by DJeX on 09-02-2006 at 05:29 AM

Humm. well I've seen it happen on these forums though. Start a new thread and then right click the page, where it says the address it will say not avalible.

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by rav0 on 09-02-2006 at 06:18 AM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=723350]

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by DJeX on 09-02-2006 at 06:18 PM

[Image: nourluf3.jpg]

I don't get it. :S

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by Ezra on 09-02-2006 at 09:03 PM

I think it's just a bug with your internet explorer :P

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by Supersonicdarky on 09-02-2006 at 09:51 PM

iframes would help...

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by cloudhunter on 09-02-2006 at 10:52 PM

It's possible with javascript. Using javascript you can show whatever you want in the status bar on a hover over a link. However, I don't know how to do it...

Cloudy

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by DJeX on 09-03-2006 at 12:53 AM

Ok what I'm trying to do is make a webpage almost unblockable by hideing the infomation. If they cant get the info they can't block it. Now so far I have the url signed up at a short url service so it masks the url in the address bar. Now I need to find ways to hide the other info like the properties and such. Any ideas?

RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by WDZ on 09-03-2006 at 03:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
If they cant get the info they can't block it.
hahaha... whoever's doing the blocking would have to be pretty incompetent... :p
RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by rav0 on 09-03-2006 at 04:14 AM

They could just block the short URL, and the address of the long URL in the code of the page at the short URL anyway.

You can't hide a URL of something that you want people to access, the URL is needed to retrieve it. The user agent has to request the URL.

RE: RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by ipab on 09-03-2006 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Ok what I'm trying to do is make a webpage almost unblockable by hideing the infomation. If they cant get the info they can't block it. Now so far I have the url signed up at a short url service so it masks the url in the address bar. Now I need to find ways to hide the other info like the properties and such. Any ideas?

base 64 encode and decode?
RE: RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by DJeX on 09-03-2006 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
They could just block the short URL, and the address of the long URL in the code of the page at the short URL anyway.

You can't hide a URL of something that you want people to access, the URL is needed to retrieve it. The user agent has to request the URL.

Short url don't matter to me. They can go ahead and block the sort url I'll just get another one. But what I can't get another of is my server address. So I need to hide that.
RE: Encrypt or Hide URL by ShawnZ on 09-03-2006 at 11:57 PM

as rav0 said, the url is there for a reason... there's no other way to find out what page someone wants