Shoutbox

Bad news for guitarists - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Bad news for guitarists (/showthread.php?tid=65755)

Bad news for guitarists by aNILEator on 09-02-2006 at 11:02 PM

Well i'm a drummer but i feel sorry for you guys i've always loved guitar and watching people learn its great but now that the MPA have decided that Guitar Tabs are illegal copyright infringing stuff i think they've taken thigns a step too far

there's an editorial on neowin if you'd care to read http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34874

I hope it gets sorted out, i don't think music should have companies much more tahn a record label with producers etc and a supplier

I've never met one band member who gives a shit if you say you downloaded their songs, i think its great that i get to find out about new bands, i've discovered so many bands that i now own the albums too and have seen live many times (which i think really shows your support for them anyway, i'd love to actually see my fans and play for them rather than a statistic)  and in some cases made friends and hung out with the members, (electric eel shock for one ^_^)

I've had sooo much fun with friends and music tabs, learning how to play songs and jamming out that i really think musicians need to stand up against these companies and basically tell them that music is for everyone and should be spread and heard around loudly and freely, sorry to sound like a hippie but i just feel many great times for future generations will be lost now if they get their way

RE: Bad news for guitarists by MX-G on 09-02-2006 at 11:03 PM

blah, internet is very big :P, eMule 8-)

* MX-G runs xDD

RE: Bad news for guitarists by aNILEator on 09-02-2006 at 11:06 PM

stop running and fight...for your right....TO PAAAARRRRTTYYYYY :P

no but seriously all this copyright crap and sueing here and there is just getting stupid

RE: Bad news for guitarists by NiteMare on 09-02-2006 at 11:09 PM

based on that, lyrics should also be illigal, along with singing along to the radio

RE: Bad news for guitarists by aNILEator on 09-02-2006 at 11:13 PM

and music teachers, learnign CD's, Karoke CD's, midi interpretations etc all probably going to be borderline illegal soon 8-)

RE: Bad news for guitarists by NiteMare on 09-02-2006 at 11:15 PM

a hockey game with teh same score as another game will be called illilgal:P

RE: Bad news for guitarists by Stigmata on 09-02-2006 at 11:19 PM

thats stupid..

RE: Bad news for guitarists by MX-G on 09-02-2006 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
thats stupid..
indeed
RE: Bad news for guitarists by Stigmata on 09-02-2006 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MX-G
quote:
thats stupid..
indeed

i would have never been able to learn how to play the guitar if it wasnt for tab.....

how are people supposed to learn now?
RE: Bad news for guitarists by ShawnZ on 09-03-2006 at 12:05 AM

it isn't illegal, the MPAA has just decided they'll take people to court for it. they don't have the ability to say what you can and can't copy, you're still protected by the digital millenium copyright act fair use of media clauses. and i remind you, this is all america-only.

RE: Bad news for guitarists by *Saint* on 09-03-2006 at 12:15 AM

quote:
i would have never been able to learn how to play the guitar if it wasnt for tab.....

how are people supposed to learn now?
I wonder how they learned before internet :O

Buy a book pay for classes, I'm pretty sure that'll work.
RE: Bad news for guitarists by aNILEator on 09-03-2006 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

it isn't illegal, the MPAA has just decided they'll take people to court for it. they don't have the ability to say what you can and can't copy, you're still protected by the digital millenium copyright act fair use of media clauses. and i remind you, this is all america-only.

quote:[05:03:40] <TReKiE> 23, virgin, lots of spare time
    [05:03:45] <TReKiE> you do the math

It's hardly america only when they are shutting down websites now  from russia which pay the artists also is it? also its the MPA not MPAA (they are asshats about films not music)
RE: Bad news for guitarists by M73A on 09-03-2006 at 09:05 AM

america only? ha! UK ROX... well... kind of, tabs are the only way i know how to put together a tune :|.... more of an ornamental guitar ^_^

RE: Bad news for guitarists by GiantSpider on 09-03-2006 at 11:15 AM

They don't have the right to pass law, just because they think they need another way to line their pockets. Poor artists aswell, they never have a say in things like this. I think it is total bollocks & they're just jumping on the band-wagon, no one makes a profit from this & the real benefiaries are the fans, learning how to play their stuff.

RE: Bad news for guitarists by saralk on 09-03-2006 at 11:41 AM

They're probably not going to sue people who use the tabs, just people who host the websites with them on. And the internet is very resiliant and so will probably not make much of a difference.

RE: Bad news for guitarists by stoshrocket on 09-03-2006 at 12:35 PM

bah, this started to happen awhile ago... it started about 2 months ago with guitartabs.cc shutting down followed by a few other websites. The thing is, on the majority of tabs i read it says this is an interpretation, so technically it's not copyright? It's just the author's perspective on that peice of music. To be honest, i hardly use tabs anymore anyway, i've gotten to the point where i can listen to the song a few times and work it out from there (hell, it takes me awhile but atleast im not dependant on someone else's view via a tab).

RE: Bad news for guitarists by user27089 on 09-03-2006 at 12:42 PM

I don't see any issue if you aren't using the tabs to make profit (copying a bands songs to play at concerts etc. where you will be making money). Whereas if you're playing it for personal use, it should be fine.

Companies are just getting greedy and pathetic. I am going to continue download guitar tablature, regardless of the law against it.

RE: Bad news for guitarists by rix on 09-03-2006 at 12:54 PM

I read some article about it early in the summer already. I don't think it's really going to change anything. Perhaps some major sites are closed down (ultimate-guitar.com, guitaretab.com ...), but surely not all of them. And besides, spreading and sharing music has been illegal almost from the beginning (i don't know the exact history of piracy though),but in spite of this, there are still some sites running, which provide you free mp3 downloading. So there will be even more underground guitar tab sites, don't worry. ;)

And if young guitarists are still worried, download yourself a massive songbook collection, including about 20 000 tabs and so. Though players who are full of potential and enthusiasm, don't mind studying by training their ears like in the old days.

RE: Bad news for guitarists by Thor on 09-03-2006 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
I don't live in the US.. 8-)

Weeeeee!
RE: Bad news for guitarists by Lourix on 09-03-2006 at 01:30 PM

Same here but I'm sure things will get better.