Shoutbox

Sign in problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Sign in problem (/showthread.php?tid=65774)

Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-03-2006 at 03:46 PM

So...I've installed Windows Live Messenger for the nth time already...this time waiting about a month between installations...

So I enter my details etc. & click sign in...'signing in' seems to go on forever! I've even resorted to getting a new account...but it still won't budge... Any ideas?!

RE: Sign in problem by boston on 09-03-2006 at 04:16 PM

is it being blocked by any firewalls?

RE: Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-03-2006 at 06:30 PM

Not that I know of...last time I tried I turned off my firewall but it still wouldn't work...

RE: Sign in problem by boston on 09-03-2006 at 06:43 PM

hmmmmmm
What is the error code that comes up?

RE: Sign in problem by Chris4 on 09-03-2006 at 06:46 PM

Try waiting for ages until it finally does something, maybe an error, maybe goes back to the login screen. It usually does something, so just wait and wait. :P

RE: Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-03-2006 at 08:37 PM

No error is coming up...I left it 'signing in' for about 1hr 1/2 and nothing happened...

RE: Sign in problem by boston on 09-03-2006 at 08:43 PM

that is weird
does it do this for msn messenger 7.5

RE: Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-04-2006 at 10:02 AM

Nope, when I had that installed it was fine...no problems on any of my accounts.

RE: Sign in problem by boston on 09-04-2006 at 10:05 AM

Have you added yourself on msn likely this is the problem but may do something
Can you sign in on windows live messenger at your mates?

RE: Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-04-2006 at 10:57 AM

How do I add myself to msn?
I haven't tried...I'll go & try the other computer now though...

Well I tried both my current & new account on the other computer & they both work fine. The 2 computers are networked & I think the only real difference is the firewalls...mine is ZoneAlarm & the other is McAfee. *confused*

RE: Sign in problem by boston on 09-04-2006 at 01:28 PM

zonealarm hmmmm
heard alot of wlm signing problems related to this
so if you disable the firewall totally and see if wlm is not being blocked and try to sign in ;)

RE: Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-04-2006 at 01:58 PM

Ok yea I'll try that...
Happen to know of any other GOOD free firewalls? ZoneAlarm has been a bit annoying recently but I'm strapped for cash at the minute.

RE: Sign in problem by boston on 09-04-2006 at 02:02 PM

windows defender beta 2
is the only good free one i know...
anyone else know.

RE: Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-04-2006 at 03:00 PM

Hmmm...completely uninstalled ZoneAlarm...but I'm still not getting anywhere with signing in O.o

O.O it works on my brother's (unused) account on my computer... This is weird.

Not too sure how...but I got it working!! I deleted a pile of stuff that I didn't need...defragmented my drive...did various disc cleanups...uninstalled old programmes...etc... & now it's working...not sure if doing all that sorted it...but it's working anyway!

RE: Sign in problem by boston on 09-04-2006 at 04:17 PM

great to know that
install windows defender beta 2 its great deletes all cookies and everything not needed

RE: Sign in problem by narayanana on 09-06-2006 at 05:37 AM

I 've problem with singin to msn I using msn 7.5  it just week ago I got this problem plz give me any help for singin

RE: Sign in problem by Lourix on 09-06-2006 at 06:35 AM

Have you got wireless internet?

RE: Sign in problem by CookieRevised on 09-06-2006 at 08:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by boston
install windows defender beta 2 its great deletes all cookies and everything not needed
If he's happy with his current firewall, if it works alright, there is no need for installing a second firewall, especially not one that is still in beta.

Also, installing 2 firewalls makes no sense and in fact may corrupt things.

Moreover, firewalls are seriously overrated. In fact, you don't need any other firewall than the standard build in Windows firewall which does it job more than well enough for incomming traffic.

And deleting cookies and cache is not the job of a firewall tbh. If you don't want to use cookies or want them deleted (same with the cache), setup your browser correctly.
RE: Sign in problem by anticonform on 09-06-2006 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
If he's happy with his current firewall, if it works alright, there is no need for installing a second firewall, especially not one that is still in beta.

Also, installing 2 firewalls makes no sense and in fact may corrupt things.

Moreover, firewalls are seriously overrated. In fact, you don't need any other firewall than the standard build in Windows firewall which does it job more than well enough for incomming traffic.

And deleting cookies and cache is not the job of a firewall tbh. If you don't want to use cookies or want them deleted (same with the cache), setup your browser correctly.

He is a she :P thank you!! I uninstalled ZoneAlarm b/c it's been annoying me for a while anyway...so for now I'm just using the built in Windows.
RE: RE: Sign in problem by andrewdodd13 on 09-06-2006 at 05:55 PM

quote:
windows defender beta 2
is the only good free one i know...
anyone else know.

I was unaware that WD had firewalling capabilities, (I checked again, it doesn't have them) it's simply an anti-spyware-come-anti-virus-with-privacy-cleanup program.

Besides, it's made by Microsoft - it'd look pretty bad on them if they released a firewall program:
"So, Billy, I hear you've released a new firewall application - whats wrong with the built in Windows one which is supposed to protect users from threats?"
"Well with the Windows firewall we... umm... wanted to.... ooooh look at this, packet filtering!"

* andrewdodd13 really needs to invent a funny anecdote.

I agree with Cookie on the firewall point. I simply use the built in Windows XP one as well. (Well that's not exactly true, my wifi router has built in firewalling capabilities)