Shoutbox

About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) (/showthread.php?tid=65874)

About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Tebb on 09-05-2006 at 11:48 AM

Hello to all, first off, excuse my poor english, I hope you all can understand me.

The problem that I have is that when I unselect the option to not encrypt the logs anymore, the new logs aren't encrypted, but the old logs are still encrypted.

I just want them to be plain txt files again, is it possible? (I have the password fot them...)

Thanks in advance!! I hope someone can help me!

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by markee on 09-05-2006 at 11:50 AM

The best way to do this is open the old logs and copy and paste the content into a new text document.  I don't think there is a way to convert them to not have a password anymore.

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Tebb on 09-05-2006 at 12:13 PM

Well, that would be a pain... got a lot of logs ://

I guess there should be a way, I wasn't told that if I encrypted logs I wouldn't be able to uncrypt them later ://

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Patchou on 09-05-2006 at 12:13 PM

Note: for those interested in creating some automateds tool to manipulate encrypted log files, try to launch the log viewer application with "/?" as command line parameter.

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Tebb on 09-05-2006 at 12:43 PM

Uh, then it wouldn't be that hard, right?

It would be just an application that will search for .ple on a folder and sub folders and execute everytime the program with the command...

The bad thing is that I don't know any language like VB or C... :/

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by RaceProUK on 09-05-2006 at 03:46 PM

I'll look into this tonight.

Edit: Or Cookie will beat me to it :P

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 09-05-2006 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tebb
Uh, then it wouldn't be that hard, right?

It would be just an application that will search for .ple on a folder and sub folders and execute everytime the program with the command...

The bad thing is that I don't know any language like VB or C... :/
You can also make a VBScript- or JScript-script in Windows itself, you can make a Plus!-script or you can make even a batch file.

Even with a bit of smart copy/pasting, replacing and notepad you can quickly create a whole list (as a batch file) which needs to be executed.

Example of a batch file which will decrypt all your logs is attached in the zipfile (more user friendly would be a script I guess... but I started to make a simple batch program and ended up with a bit less simple batch file; though it nicely shows what can be done with Windows DOS commands only):

notes: run the program from within your log directory and enter the password as a parameter. If no password is provided, it will ask for one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: If this is going to be made as a script, wouldn't it be cool to see:
- An option to enable/disable overwriting of files
- An option to delete or keep the original encrypted files
- A password textbox where you can enter multiple passwords (which will all be tried)
- A selection between:
  a) A combobox to select the account which you want to decrypt all the logs of
  b) A textfield (with browse button) to select a directory and an option to enable/disable subdirectories
- Configuration textbox (with browse button) for the path and filename of the log viewer (though, filled in automatically at start)
- Showing a progress dialog (progressbar + filename)
- At the end showing a dialog of which logs failed and why, and which logs were successfully decrypted/encrypted with what password (listview)

;):p:D

------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

DecryptAll.bat & EncryptAll.bat - Command line tools for mass decryption/encryption

Description of included batch files (version 4.1 - 2011-02-16)

These batch files are compatible with Messenger Plus! 4 and above.

However, due to a bug in the Log Viewer in Messenger Plus! 5, the batch files will not work as intended in conjuction with Messenger Plus! 5 or when you have entered the wrong decryption password. So, until that small bug is fixed, please don't use them on large directories for your own sake.

If in doubt, test first on a copy of the directories, or make a backup first!

Syntax:

DecryptAll <password>
   EncryptAll <password>

Thus enter the password as a parameter to the batch file (spaces in passwords are supported as-is; do not enclose the password in double quotes).
eg: DecryptAll My LoNg PaSSw0rD
eg: EncryptAll My LoNg PaSSw0rD

The password is optional though. If you don't provide a password, the batch files will ask for it.

Usage:

• These batch files will decrypt or encrypt all the log files of Messenger Plus! Live which exist in the current directory and in its subdirectories.

• After a log has succesfully been decrypted (encrypted) the original encrypted (decrypted) file will be deleted so only the decrypted (encrypted) file will remain.

• Previous existing files (thus files with the same name) will not be overwritten.

• Run these batch files from within your log directory.
    Therefor, you need to open Windows' command line console and go to the log directory:
    1. Start > Run > cmd
    2. go to the log directory by using the cd command. eg:
      cd "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Logs"
      decryptall My LoNg PaSSw0rD

• Run it multiple times when you have logs with different passwords.

• It is NOT possible for these tools (or any other tools for that matter) to decrypt logs if you do not know the correct password.
    If you can't remember your password, there is NO way to decrypt your logs, with any tool.
Installation:

No installation is required. Just unzip the attached zip file to your log directory.

What's new:

v4.x:

Compatibility with Messenger Plus! 5 and above.

However, due to a bug in the Log Viewer in Messenger Plus! 5, the batch files will not work as intended when you have entered the wrong decryption password. So, until that small bug is fixed in Messenger Plus! 5, please don't use them on large directories for your own sake.

v3.x:

A hell of a lot. Including a lot of fixes and workarounds for various (rare) situations. Piping is now supported. Vista compatibility. 64-bit compatibility (though not tested). A lot of batch 'tricks' and other far less known methods are used in these batch files.

Commented version included which explains a bit why some stuff is done in a particular way and not in an 'easier', better known and often used way.

v2.x: More friendly UI and a bit more streamlined to work in more situations.

v1.x: First very simple version. Quick 'n dirty, for Tebb...

Why?:

Because I'm old-school.... Long live DOS...

Download:

previous downloads: 4838
EDIT: I've updated the link inside the batch files which points back to this post....
         Apparently I've forgotten to include the correct link back in 2006. lol

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Tebb on 09-05-2006 at 09:51 PM

Woah, worked really good...

I wish I had the time to spend on things like this...

Thank you so much!

RE: About uncrypting logs by aadimo on 06-06-2008 at 01:32 PM

I have forgotten my Msg+ logs password (since I don't open them very often) and I need some conversations, but since I can't open them I wanna ask you if you can.
I've read some earlier posts and they all say that decrypting the logs without the pass is impossible and that's why I am writing this PM. I wouldn't mind to send you the logs so that you decrypt them and send my password.
Please HELP!

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Thor on 06-06-2008 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aadimo
I have forgotten my Msg+ logs password (since I don't open them very often) and I need some conversations, but since I can't open them I wanna ask you if you can.
I've read some earlier posts and they all say that decrypting the logs without the pass is impossible and that's why I am writing this PM. I wouldn't mind to send you the logs so that you decrypt them and send my password.
Please HELP!
It's still not possible, this tool is only for decrypting many log files if you have the password. There is no way of doing it.
RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by ubisoft4me on 08-13-2008 at 09:01 AM

In order to get it to work for 64bit you need to change:

code:
"REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live" /v AppDir 2>NUL | FINDSTR REG_SZ > TEMP.BAT"
with
code:
REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live" /v AppDir 2>NUL | FINDSTR REG_SZ > TEMP.BAT

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by jasmiester on 12-31-2008 at 07:40 AM

I get the error:

"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." when i try to run the batch file..

Ive tried renaming the file.. but it wont the .html always exist?..

Can anyone help me with solving this problem please :)..

Thanks a lot!

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by jasmiester on 01-07-2009 at 01:05 PM

bumppp?

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by marcosetorresc on 01-23-2009 at 09:04 AM

I had the same problem and after going through the whole batch found the following:

Line 42 "SET LOGVIEWER=%LOGVIEWER:~18%" defines the variable %LOGVIEWER% after extracting the Path for Log Viewer.exe from the registry. This value comes in the form     "AppDir    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\"
When it runs "SET LOGVIEWER=%LOGVIEWER:~18%" it is truncating the first 18 characters of the string, leaving it as  "SZ    C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\" when it should be leaving it as "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\".

How to solve this?

Since I don't exactly by how many characters it will differ on each case, here is a generic procedure:

- Open 2 shell windows (Start>Run and type cmd) (do this twice)
- Go to the directory where you will be running the batch from
- Type "edit Decryptall.bat"
- Find these two lines:
"CALL TEMP.BAT
DEL TEMP.BAT 2>NUL"
-Insert a PAUSE in between this two lines, it should look like this:
"CALL TEMP.BAT
PAUSE
DEL TEMP.BAT 2>NUL"
- Now save the script and run it
- You will get an message asking you to press a key ton continue (means you just hit the pause)
- On you second shell window (and being in the same directory where your batch is) type the following command "TYPE TEMP.NAT" (no, is not a typo or a mistake, I repeat, the command is "TYPE TEMP.BAT")
-This will show you exactly what is being executed to decrypt each file. The first line should say "@Echo Off". The second line, in order for the decrypter to work, MUST SAY "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe" and a buch of other stuff. But we care about the beginning of the line. This line must begin with a " and then the path for thelog viewer....whatever space or other characters must go!
-Now, count how many characters (including spaces) are in excess right after the quotation marks (the marks must stay).
- You must edit again your Decryptall.bat. in the following way:
Let's say you counted an extra 6 characters, then add that number to 18 (remember the weird command atthe beginning?) and substitute the 18 for that number. In this case, you would change 18 for 24.
- Run your batch again. If you get the same error it means you miscounted the characters. You may have still some extra characters or you might have truncated more thant you should.

In any case, repeat until you get the line to look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Log Viewer.exe"

NOTE: I am assuming you used the default instaltion path for Messenger Plus. If you change that, you need to match this path with the Key on the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live

Hope this is more helpful than confusing!

RE: RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 01-23-2009 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marcosetorresc
I had the same problem and after going through the whole batch found the following:

Line 42 "SET LOGVIEWER=%LOGVIEWER:~18%" defines the variable %LOGVIEWER% after extracting the Path for Log Viewer.exe from the registry. This value comes in the form     "AppDir    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\"
When it runs "SET LOGVIEWER=%LOGVIEWER:~18%" it is truncating the first 18 characters of the string, leaving it as  "SZ    C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\" when it should be leaving it as "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\".
The problem is that the REG command in Vista will convert tabs to 4 spaces instead of leaving tabs to be tabs. So, the REG command does not output exactly the same thing as in XP for which these batch files were created.
quote:
Originally posted by marcosetorresc
How to solve this?

Since I don't exactly by how many characters it will differ on each case, here is a generic procedure:

[SNIPPED]
Instead of doing all that you simply need to replace the line:
code:
SET LOGVIEWER=%LOGVIEWER:~18%

with the lines:
code:
SET LOGVIEWER=%LOGVIEWER:<tab>=<4spaces>%
SET LOGVIEWER=%LOGVIEWER:~24%
where:
<tab> must be replaced with a TAB character.
<4spaces> must be replaced with 4 spaces.

---

Also note that there are a lot more ceavats in these batch files. They are designed for XP, not for Vista. Whenever I have the time I'll update them to the newer versions (which will tackle/fix a lot more problems which you could encounter when you run this on Vista).
RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 01-25-2009 at 12:44 AM

Sorry for shameless bump... anyways.... The batch files are updated.

They aren't as finished as I like them to be, but it has been a very very long time since previous update and the new versions were just sitting in a dark corner at my HDD rusting away waiting to be tested for more than a year. And since I don't know when I'll find the time to continue, I'll put them here as-is.

They should already fix most of the (rare) problems you might encounter.

;)

Remember: if you lost your password there is no way to retrieve it. Not with these batch files, not with any other tool, it is impossible!

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by jasmiester on 01-25-2009 at 11:58 PM

Whats the difference between the EncryptAll file and the EncryptAll_COMMENT file?

RE: RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 01-26-2009 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jasmiester
Whats the difference between the EncryptAll file and the EncryptAll_COMMENT file?
EncryptAll_COMMENTED.bat

and
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
What's new:

v3.x:

A hell of a lot. Including a lot of fixes and workarounds for various (rare) situations. Piping is now supported. Vista compatibility. 64-bit compatibility (though not tested). A lot of batch 'tricks' and other far less known methods are used in these batch files.

Commented version included which explains a bit why some stuff is done in a particular way and not in an 'easier', better known and often used way.

v2.x: More friendly UI and a bit more streamlined to work in more situations.

v1.x: First very simple version. Quick 'n dirty, for Tebb...

and
code:
code from EncryptAll.bat and DecryptAll.bat
REM For detailed comments see EncryptAll_COMMENTED.bat
There is no difference except for the included comments.
RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Cut on 04-19-2009 at 06:18 AM

thx! it's really useful!

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by riahc4 on 04-26-2009 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

If you can't remember your password, there is NO way to decrypt your logs, with any tool.[/list]

Not sure if this is 100% true. Before anyone trys to contact me:

1: I have no idea if it is true or not.
2: I dont have the tool.

And no; Neither me and im sure Cookie will NOT provide a alternative method to do it.
RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 04-28-2009 at 12:04 AM

riahc4, what is the purpose of that post?

You've been here on these forums long enough to know and read all the discussions and threads about this issue where it is explain again and again that it is not possible. In some threads it is even explained how the encrypted logs files work and exactly _why_ it is not possible.

So why making that post in a thread in which you didn't posted before, without anyone asking you a question, as a response to a post which is 4 months old, and thus frankly without any reason to make such a post?

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by ravenle on 11-21-2009 at 02:03 AM

hey,

i downloaded the zip file and i have extracted it and it encrypted my files fine. but does that mean all the logs to come(the ones i will have in the future), will they also get equiped with that password and encryption automatically?

thanks,

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 11-21-2009 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ravenle
hey,

i downloaded the zip file and i have extracted it and it encrypted my files fine. but does that mean all the logs to come(the ones i will have in the future), will they also get equiped with that password and encryption automatically?

thanks,
No...

The batch files are simply small external tools which only encrypt/decrypt existing files, it does not change any setting in Messenger Plus!. If you want to encrypt logs in the futur you must set the proper settings in Messenger Plus! Live.

Plus! > Preferences & Options > Conversations > Logs Encryption

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by ravenle on 11-22-2009 at 01:46 PM

for some reason, my logs aren't getting encrypted.
i go to the preferences then log encryptions and i type in a pw and it tells me to verify this. once i do, i press enter/ok and it closes. i go back into it and its blank as if i never touched it. my logs are also found not encrypted. that is why i'm wondering if the zip can fix this. do you know how i can fix this problem? i really want to encrypt my logs.

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by dreaded on 02-15-2011 at 07:03 PM

I been looking at the bat files and changed it to work for Messenger Plus! 5.  I have been looking and trying to find out how to change the key file size in the bat file. Is there a way?

Would %LOGVIEWER% /encrypt="%%~fI" /pwd="%PASSWORD%" /keysize="%size%" work?

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 02-15-2011 at 11:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dreaded
I been looking at the bat files and changed it to work for Messenger Plus! 5.  I have been looking and trying to find out how to change the key file size in the bat file. Is there a way?

Would %LOGVIEWER% /encrypt="%%~fI" /pwd="%PASSWORD%" /keysize="%size%" work?
No that will not work.

But yes you can manually add a keysize to it.
But note that you shouldn't yet use those batch files with Messenger Plus! 5 since there is a bug in the Log Viewer of Plus!5 which makes these batch files rather useless in case you enter the wrong password. As long as that bug isn't fixed the batch files will not work like they should anyways (no matter what you change)...
RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by Gorgo on 10-09-2012 at 10:44 AM

Hi CookieRevised.
I'm really need to use your DecryptAll but my password contains "&" and the batch file return "& not expected".

There are a lot of conversations and I can't modify password one by one :( Could you fix the bug?

Thank you so much!

RE: About uncrypting logs (i've got password!) by CookieRevised on 10-09-2012 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo
Hi CookieRevised.
I'm really need to use your DecryptAll but my password contains "&" and the batch file return "& not expected".

There are a lot of conversations and I can't modify password one by one :( Could you fix the bug?

Thank you so much!
Hi,

This is not a bug.

It is the way DOS works and as such I can't do anything about it other than suggesting not to use such special characters in passwords (there are more programs which have trouble with them though - always be careful when you use them)

Anyways, & is a special character in DOS and therefor should be escaped if you want to use it. But escaping it might not always work in DOS either, depending on the situation and context it is used in.

So, what you can try is:
1) Do not enter the password as parameter on the command line.
Instead, start the batch files without any parameters.
The bath file will then ask for a password.

2) Enter your password, but before the & you need to enter ^.
Thus if you password is 123&4, you need to enter 123^&4
(make sure you actually see the ^. On some keyboards, depending on the local, you might need to enter a space too in order to actually see the character because it is a combination character)

If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid I can't help you at the moment.