Shoutbox

Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ (/showthread.php?tid=65887)

Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-05-2006 at 09:40 PM

I've just switched to sky broadband... its being a bitch....

it keeps f*cking up and disconnecting and the router cant find a server quite often...

i can't goto http://www.projectpsp.com/forum/ proxy websites load it for me (although dont allow me to login, if anyone has a proxy site that does so please post it)

but what i would really like to know is how to make it so my computer will just load the damn site!

Thanks!

pinging the site with cmd.exe shows up as request timed out!

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by DJeX on 09-05-2006 at 10:07 PM

1.Well your new ISP may be blocking certin servers.

2.Check your hosts file to make sure that site is not listed in it.

3.If you have a router you may have to fool with your settings for the new ISP. This is what happened to me. I had to lower the MTU number in the router settings. Also I'm not sure but I think that if you don't have a router theres a MTU number somewhere in the internet settings.

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-05-2006 at 10:09 PM

ive got a router.

why would it block certain servers? i should be allowed to view what i want... its only a damn psp site aswell:(

* M73A checks host file
EDIT: its not in the host file... GRRR

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by DJeX on 09-05-2006 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
ive got a router.

why would it block certain servers? i should be allowed to view what i want... its only a damn psp site aswell:(

* M73A checks host file

EDIT: its not in the host file... GRRR

Ok then try the MTU setting.
RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-05-2006 at 10:28 PM

whats that? how do i find it? what is it? what will changing it do?

it wont load on either pc, so im guessing its to do with my router or isp...

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by DJeX on 09-06-2006 at 12:03 AM

MTU is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTU_(networking)

Im not sure what router you have so I'm not sure how to set the MTU. What router do you have?

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by kao on 09-06-2006 at 05:28 AM

you can change MTU setting with DrTCP

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-06-2006 at 06:16 AM

i have a netgear DG834GT (i think, its the one i got from sky)

is it a bit dodgy changing the mtu? or is there nothing to worry about

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by rav0 on 09-06-2006 at 10:39 AM

A non-optimal MTU setting will give non-optimal network performance, but you won't break anything by changing it, and it can easily be changed over and over again. I found a nice guide to check your optimal MTU setting, I'll try and find it. My MTU is best at its default of 1500, so I didn't need it. I can't even remember if the MTU should be set on the PC or on the router.

MTU is maximum transmission unit, the amount of data that will be send in one frame. If your MTU is higher than the MTU of your internet connection, the frames will have to be opened, and resend to match the lower MTU, and will take more frames than if MTU was set to the lowest common denominator to begin with.

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-06-2006 at 01:41 PM

btw its not just my computer... so its something to do with either sky or the router...

digital spy forums have a section on sky broadband, ive been posting there too....

cnn.com is another site which wont load :S not that im interested in that one...

GR

Thanks for any help, stupid sky...

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by DJeX on 09-06-2006 at 09:12 PM

Well did you try and change the MTU? Because I know with my ISP I used to get Page Cannot Be Displayed when the MTU was not changed to the right value.

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-06-2006 at 09:37 PM

how do i find the right value? and where do i find the place to change the settings? id rather not change it using a program, i will if i have to though

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by DJeX on 09-07-2006 at 12:32 AM

I tried to find a value on the Sky Brodband website but no luck. So some Google searching said to try 1460 or 1450. You can find this value in the router control panel by either going to 192.168.0.1 or what ever IP your router is.

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by rav0 on 09-07-2006 at 07:20 AM

Bam, here's your MTU instructions. No guarantees that you problem is actually caused by improper MTU though.

In Command Prompt, enter this:

code:
ping -f -l 1472 www.dslreports.com

Raise the number until you get errors about fragmentation. The highest number that doesn't give fragmentation errors will be your magic number.

Hint: You'll probably end up finding either 1472 or 1464 as your magic number, so try those first, and then start checking every other number.

Your optimal MTU value will be your magic number plus 28.

Use DrTCP to change your computers' MTU value to the optimal value that you have found. You might as well set it on your router as well. There is no proper place to change the settings, if you want to do it without using any extra programs, you'll be editing hex values directly in the registry.

The optimal value won't constantly change, so don't bother retesting it regularly. If you cahange your connection, then it may be worth retesting though.
RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-07-2006 at 03:15 PM

mtu set to 1472.... still dont load:(

this was on digital spy:

quote:
There's a thread about this on uk.telecom.broadband. What appears to be happening is that certain sites inadvertently have the Sky BB address block (90.192.0.0/12) in their bogon filters (filters for blocking bogus or 'spoofed' IP addresses). Easynet are working to contact the sites involved and rectify the situation.

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by Adeptus on 09-07-2006 at 03:46 PM

MTU is not likely to be the problem here.  It will be one of the two: intentional filtering (which some ISPs offer as an option) or routing issues at your ISP or its upstream providers.  The latter would include the potential problem mentioned in the quote in your last post.

There are tests we could go through to pinpoint which it is (and, for the routing issue, where), but neither will be repairable by doing things to your computer; it will take contacting the ISP anyway, so you might just want to start with that.

I doubt it is filtering, because you are also having problems with CNN.  While I could see a "safe surfing" filter give a bad rating to some forum, it is not likely they'd blacklist a major news site.  However, you can ask if they offer any filtering and if it is enabled for your account when you call. 

So, call and complain that you can't access www.cnn.com and some other sites.  Focus on CNN rather than your forums, as that is something other people are likely to complain about as well.

RE: Certain Websites Arent Loading !!! HELP PLZ by M73A on 09-07-2006 at 04:19 PM

they don't have filtering... lol

i've posted on the forum and asked about getting the ip's unblacklisted or whatever :D