Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! (/showthread.php?tid=65958)

Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by dbgarza on 09-08-2006 at 06:17 AM

That's right as some of the people who were beta testers of the Windows Live Messenger 8.0 know, today the beta testing of the next version of WLM which is the version 8.1 started.

I'm beta tester and got my invitation to this test, I downloaded it and installed it not before take off the plus for better results, but when I reinstall the plus, the menu plus didn't got added nor any of the features so I thought it would be a good idea post this topic so Patchou could consider a compatibility with this version 8.1 in a future release.

For now I returned to the version 8.0.0812 of WLM so I can have my messenger plus live working too. :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by markee on 09-08-2006 at 06:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dbgarza
For now I returned to the version 8.0.0812 of WLM so I can have my messenger plus live working too. [Image: msn_tongue.gif]
How are you supposed to test it if you aren't sing 8.1? And anyway you shouldn't be using any add-ons or plug-ins while bet testing something as it could impact on finding problems (or you might find problems that are actually problems of the add-in).
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Underlord on 09-08-2006 at 06:41 AM

If invitations were sent out to WLM 8.0 beta testers then why haven't I received one?

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by dbgarza on 09-08-2006 at 07:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
How are you supposed to test it if you aren't sing 8.1? And anyway you shouldn't be using any add-ons or plug-ins while bet testing something as it could impact on finding problems (or you might find problems that are actually problems of the add-in).

I can sign in on the version 8.1 I'm a beta tester from Microsoft Connect, besides anyhow this first build of the version 8.1 has list of known issues that is longer than the list of rights a police officer reads to a criminal under arrest :P

About use add-ons the only one I use is the messenger plus, but I will wait till Microsoft releases another build of WLM 8.1, this one has a lot of issues that need to be fixed right now and that they already know what are them.

One of the most annoying issues this version has is that multiples instances of the new personalize messenger submenu inside of the actions menu appear when you click more than once on that menu and they keep appearing and appearing and appearing and the only way to stop it is closing the msn contact list window or the conversation windows since this issue appears on either of both windows :S

so for now I decided to wait after all this beta phase is just starting, like I said before I posted this so Patchou at least can get ready to work in the compatibility of plus live with this future version of WLM :)
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 07:47 AM

yup, only us butterflies got invites so far.

you also got an invite if you were on the Yahoo Interop beta

i don't see any issues at all, i've put it through the tests and haven't seen any problems with it so far, other then plus being incompati

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by kmcbest on 09-08-2006 at 11:36 AM

I rather care about what's new in this 8.1, like
"is the nickname feature  improved" and
"is it now possible to bring back the group block feature in MP!L"

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 11:53 AM

New so far

Roaming DP (allows you to keep the same display pic on any computer you use)

New Location feature - you can add your address and you can set it to show as your personal message, which will then open up Local Live, and show you a map of the area.

Backgrounds and DP selectors have been modified. - certain bugs exist within it though... i've already logged em.

Contact cards have been changed so you do't have to flip the card anymore to view extra info.

some bugs have appeared in the Shared folders journaling service, these have been logged i believe.

to the original poster.

you call yourself a beta tester? its not about whether you can run Msgplus live on it, so grow up, the whole point is to find as many bugs as possible before adding additional software to it, so as to fix as many of them as possible before RTM.

imo.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Salem on 09-08-2006 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
If invitations were sent out to WLM 8.0 beta testers then why haven't I received one?

Not all WLM 8.0 Managed testers received invites this time round

quote:
Originally posted by ~Bkitty~
quote:
Originally posted by Underlord

UPDATE:  Microsoft have only sent out invites to Windows Live Butterflies,

from" Msgaddict"..posted by Salem

http://msgaddict.

YEs, this was correct at the time i posted it, but things have changed since then (and i've not updated the post). Some WLM 8.0 managed testers (and non-butterflies) did receive invites. Also, members of the WLM/Y!M Interop Beta have also received invites.

I'll try and update my post soon.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Eddie on 09-08-2006 at 12:24 PM

I didn't receive an invite but it has been leaked on many sites already so there isn't really a need for an invite if thats always gonna happen. ;)

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by kmcbest on 09-08-2006 at 12:29 PM

And the roaming DP feature means M$ has bought more harddisks? LOL

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by alexp2_ad on 09-08-2006 at 12:36 PM

For those wondering:

Yes it has been leaked.
Yes you can use it without being a beta tester.
No plus doesn't work with it.
No, Reshacking the build number doesn't make plus work with it, you'll have to wait for an update.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 12:40 PM

for ne1 wondering,
no you can't use the leaked version without meeting certain requirements.

such as being activated to use protocol 14, and im not saying how....

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Underlord on 09-08-2006 at 12:53 PM

Through the yahoo thing?

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 01:25 PM

hahaha, well i've just learnt something else.

the only way any of you guys is gunna be able to use this is if someone makes a protocol changer :P they've improved security on this beta :D

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by markee on 09-08-2006 at 01:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yourmama_20

the only way any of you guys is gunna be able to use this is if someone makes a protocol changer [Image: msn_tongue.gif] they've improved security on this beta [Image: msn_grin.gif]

How so?  I can say that it is possible to at least sign in with an account that isnt activated to use the beta and also send messages.  Can you give me more information on how exactly I'm meant to be restricted?
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Eddie on 09-08-2006 at 02:13 PM

For anyone that applied to the Yahoo Interprob Beta will have Protocol 14 Access ;) and i'm sure most people will have this. And i thought with a recent Messenger build all were updated anyway. And the security on obtaining a beta has never been good and this is certainly far from it, the previous beta was better protected than this.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 02:15 PM

quote:
quote:

the only way any of you guys is gunna be able to use this is if someone makes a protocol changer [Image: msn_tongue.gif] they've improved security on this beta [Image: msn_grin.gif]

How so?  I can say that it is possible to at least sign in with an account that isnt activated to use the beta and also send messages.  Can you give me more information on how exactly I'm meant to be restricted?

nvm, my info was wrong,... damn newbies on the beta newsgroups spreading wrong info...

anyways, i just hope you all know that by using the new beta you lose all your custom smileys :D

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Eddie on 09-08-2006 at 02:18 PM

Yer i dont understand why we lose all our emoticons, could be because of the change to the layout of the Emoticons panel that it clears them but im sure there is a much more technological reason for it :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 02:55 PM

yeah its pretty much it.. still, they could've allowed an importer to bring over the custom smileys...

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by dbgarza on 09-08-2006 at 05:25 PM

quote:

to the original poster.

you call yourself a beta tester? its not about whether you can run Msgplus live on it, so grow up, the whole point is to find as many bugs as possible before adding additional software to it, so as to fix as many of them as possible before RTM.

imo.

hey wait a minute here, true partly I returned to the version 8 for the plus, but I mostly returned to the version 8 because the version 8.1 wasn't working pretty fine with me, I still can install it again but I'll install it later first I want to backup my emoticons and all to not lose them

and about losing the custom smilies be calmed, if you uninstall 8.1 and reinstall 8.0 you recover all your smilies, so you can return to 8.0 backup your smilies with any of the utilities out there like MSN Backup and then return again to 8.1 so at least you will have your emoticons and all safe.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by vaccination on 09-08-2006 at 05:52 PM

I am about to install it. Emoticons don't bother me too much, i have too many anyway and now i can add only the ones i want. :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 05:52 PM

you can use msn backup without going back to 8.0.. the problem lies in the changes to how the object data is stored

it'll likely get fixed in the next build

(ie it'll port over the old data during the install... hopefully)

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Keikonium on 09-08-2006 at 05:59 PM

I didn't lose my custom smilies ^o). Then again, I also installed the 8.1 Beta along side my 8.0. Just renamed my 8.0 program files folder, installed 8.1, then moved my 8.1 folder to another hardrive. Viola, no loss of anything :P. Oh, and I can sign in (altho it is much slower than 8.0).

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by vaccination on 09-08-2006 at 06:10 PM

Hmmm it seems to have rearranged my DPs in the change DP box. All still there just rearranged and in no visible order. *-)

EDIT: happened with my emotes as well, they are all still there as well. :S

EDIT 2: Well it appears a few have dissapered but not many.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Keikonium on 09-08-2006 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Hmmm it seems to have rearranged my DPs in the change DP box. All still there just rearranged and in no visible order. *-)

I also noticed this. It did the same with my emoticons :P.

I noticed I had some display pictures added to my list that I had deleted MONTHES ago :S:S. Not sure whats up with that lol. I also had some duplicates. My assumption is that it has something to do with the keeping your display picture no matter where you sign in. Just a hunch.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by dbgarza on 09-08-2006 at 06:22 PM

this is odd, I just installed 8.1 over the 8.0 and all my emoticons, extra winks and backgrounds are all there in 8.1

And I think I know why I didn't lost my smilies, is a pretty useful trick, when you use MSN Backup to save your emoticons, winks, display picture, etc. the program saves all this in files with .MCO extension, yes, that's right the extension of the MSN winks.

when you restore this backup you will notice that none of your contacts can't add your smilies to their msn, since it appear like if you bought them and were installed like you install the winks, so I think WLM 8.1 tought that my smilies were bought or something and didn't deleted them. :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by vaccination on 09-08-2006 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dbgarza
this is odd, I just installed 8.1 over the 8.0 and all my emoticons, extra winks and backgrounds are all there in 8.1

And I think I know why I didn't lost my smilies, is a pretty useful trick, when you use MSN Backup to save your emoticons, winks, display picture, etc. the program saves all this in files with .MCO extension, yes, that's right the extension of the MSN winks.

when you restore this backup you will notice that none of your contacts can't add your smilies to their msn, since it appear like if you bought them and were installed like you install the winks, so I think WLM 8.1 tought that my smilies were bought or something and didn't deleted them. :P

I didn't back up and still had all my custom content apart from a few missing smilies. And i didn't do what Keikonium did. :\
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 06:39 PM

your hunch would be correct. (more then likely)

i would suppose if you delete them now, they will stay that way from now on.

has any of you noticed that changing the background )with auto colour choose enabled) sometimes doesn't change the gui colour properly?

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by vaccination on 09-08-2006 at 06:47 PM

quote:

has any of you noticed that changing the background )with auto colour choose enabled) sometimes doesn't change the gui colour properly?

Yeah, for me it seems that depending on what colour the background you are changing to and what the auto colour is supposed  to be depends whether it changes or not.

If the new background is too far of a different colour it doesn't seem to change properly.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 06:57 PM

quote:
quote:

Yeah, for me it seems that depending on what colour the background you are changing to and what the auto colour is supposed  to be depends whether it changes or not.

If the new background is too far of a different colour it doesn't seem to change properly.

well thats a known about issue

what im referring to is slightly different

for instance, i have 2 backgrounds
1 changes the gui to a blueish colour and the other makes it purple

when i set the 1st background it changes to the bluish gui. but if i change to the next background, it changes the gui to purple for about 2 seconds, then sets it back to the blue 1 from before.

if i then click on the 2nd background again in the list then it sets it to the purple gui permanently, i get the same bug going back to the blue gui'd background.

i've also found that you get a similar issue when going from a static background to a dynamic background

if i select a static background, then go to a dynamic one, it goes back to the static one within 2 seconds... if i then click the dynamic ine again a second time, it selects it and it stays at the dynaminc bg.

meh.. anyways.. i've logged it.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by vaccination on 09-08-2006 at 07:04 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

well thats a known about issue

what im referring to is slightly different

for instance, i have 2 backgrounds
1 changes the gui to a blueish colour and the other makes it purple

when i set the 1st background it changes to the bluish gui. but if i change to the next background, it changes the gui to purple for about 2 seconds, then sets it back to the blue 1 from before.

if i then click on the 2nd background again in the list then it sets it to the purple gui permanently, i get the same bug going back to the blue gui'd background.

i've also found that you get a similar issue when going from a static background to a dynamic background

if i select a static background, then go to a dynamic one, it goes back to the static one within 2 seconds... if i then click the dynamic ine again a second time, it selects it and it stays at the dynaminc bg.

meh.. anyways.. i've logged it.

Ah, i see, sorry didn't understand the other post properly.

Well i have tested that and i get the same problem.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 07:09 PM

ahh finally.

btw, do you have the plus menu still on the main messenger window... maybe they are linked somehow... other people aren't getting the issue...

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by vaccination on 09-08-2006 at 07:13 PM

quote:
ahh finally.

btw, do you have the plus menu still on the main messenger window... maybe they are linked somehow... other people aren't getting the issue...

No i unistalled plus.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-08-2006 at 07:17 PM

ok good to know they aren't connected

BTW

GOOD NEWS!

the emoticons being missing in 8.1 IS A BUG!!! :D YAY... .. that means that it can be fixed in the next build!

any connect testers here can validate at
https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedba...=197740&SiteID=273

vaccination are you a connect or managed tester?

if not, i'll validate it and link to your post.
(regarding the Background and GUI issue)

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by 85thday on 09-10-2006 at 01:05 AM

so are we getting a Plus fir 8.1 beta, or do we have to wait for the final?

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Eddie on 09-10-2006 at 04:13 AM

Apparently from what ive read Patchou is going to release an update for 8.1 Beta. But i CAN confirm this (Y) (Not botherin with quote but read down below :D.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Astynax on 09-10-2006 at 04:53 AM

the reason why emoticons are going missing, are becoz of changes to the object data store (the folders on your cmputer where they are all stored)

its not moving the old folders properly

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Salem on 09-10-2006 at 10:43 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

nvm, my info was wrong,... damn newbies on the beta newsgroups spreading wrong info...

anyways, i just hope you all know that by using the new beta you lose all your custom smileys :D

I've not lost all my custom emoticons, i still have some of them

quote:
Originally posted by 85thday
so are we getting a Plus fir 8.1 beta, or do we have to wait for the final?

Patchou is to release a Messenger Plus! Live (MP!L) version that'll be complatible with WLM 8.1. It's gonna be tested by Beta Testers soon. Also, expect MP!L 4.02 within the next week or so*, although we don't think this will be compatible with WLM 8.1

*"within a week or so" is an estimate made by Patchou, this could be delayed, or brought forward.
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Dragunov on 09-14-2006 at 08:16 PM

well on connect.microsoft.com, it is still 'pending', maybe cause I'm a Belgian, and I speak Dutch, so I need to wait for a localized version of the program :)

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Salem on 09-14-2006 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Apparently from what ive read Patchou is going to release an update for 8.1 Beta. But i CAN confirm this (Y) (Not botherin with quote but read down below :D.

Yes, Patchou will release a version that will be compatible with Windows Live Messenger 8.1.

MessengerPlus! Live 4.10 will be WLM 8.1 compatible and was originally scheduled for release later this week, however this has been delayed and will now not be made available for AT LEAST another two weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The beta version of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 has been made available to private beta testers for about a week now and more and more people are asking for a compatible version of Messenger Plus!. I can happily say that Messenger Plus! Live 4.10 (previously labelled 4.02) is currently in the work and will be entirely compatible with the new Messenger, however, I do not plan to release this version before at least another two weeks. The main reason for that delay is very simple: the current beta of Messenger 8.1 is extremely unstable and brings nothing really new to its users. I encourage all of you to stick with version 8.0 for now, you’ll feel much better without a Messenger that can crash every 5 minutes during a chat :).

Also, i agree with Patch, i recommend that you don't all go rushing to use 8.1, and thats not just to prevent leaks. It is VERY unstable. I've been having trouble over the last few days with it. So recommend staying with 8.0 until they make 8.1 more stable & reliable*.  Trust me, you'll be happy if you do.

*This statement, is in know way meant to encourage you to download the Private Beta when it becomes more stable. I'm just saying if you really want it, there's not much benefit in using it now.

~Salem(@)
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by IchiTehkillah on 01-19-2007 at 07:06 PM

Well I downloaded Windows Live Messenger 8.1 and ran into my first brick wall. I Blocked someone from my list Then Unblocked them a few hours later. Now every time i log on i get ******@hotmail.com Would like to add you to His/Her Contact List (Even know they are already Added)

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 beta program started! by Salem on 01-19-2007 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by IchiTehkillah
Well I downloaded Windows Live Messenger 8.1 and ran into my first brick wall. I Blocked someone from my list Then Unblocked them a few hours later. Now every time i log on i get ******@hotmail.com Would like to add you to His/Her Contact List (Even know they are already Added)

YEs, this is still a bug in WLM 8.1.

At least with the refresh builds they've been able to (somewhat) lessen the constant crashes & instability that we saw early on in the Beta.

But, the "******@hotmail.com Would like to add you to His/Her Contact List" bug is still there. I've got this many, many times with the same contact, even when i click the Accept button on this Message.

~Salem(@)