Shoutbox

What is the best search tool for Windows? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What is the best search tool for Windows? (/showthread.php?tid=65995)

What is the best search tool for Windows? by alegator on 09-09-2006 at 09:45 AM

I think one of the best new features of Vista will be its (delayed) enhanced search tool for files, etc. What is the current best 3rd party search tool for XP? I know Google has a desktop search tool but I'm hesitant about it as it introduces security issues.

RE: What is the best search tool for Windows? by Rik on 09-09-2006 at 09:51 AM

you can  get MSN Search Toolbar with Windows Desktop Search.
i used it a little and it's really good :)
you can get it here

RE: What is the best search tool for Windows? by linx05 on 09-09-2006 at 10:12 AM

Definitely Locate32. Very fast and it is free. It's the best one I've tried.

RE: What is the best search tool for Windows? by alegator on 09-09-2006 at 05:00 PM

linx05, I went to http://locate32.webhop.org/ and found that the latest version is one year old, seems the software is not updated regularly. Are these search tools uninstalled safely? I mean, I assume they are tightly integrated into the OS, like say Norton Systemworks, and my worry is that they might damage the registry after uninstall. Or am I wrong to assume this?

RE: What is the best search tool for Windows? by Voldemort on 09-09-2006 at 05:41 PM

did you read the link you posted :P

it mentions how they work and i dont think they sill

RE: What is the best search tool for Windows? by ShawnZ on 09-09-2006 at 06:44 PM

dir/s/b \ | find /I ""

RE: What is the best search tool for Windows? by linx05 on 09-10-2006 at 03:35 AM

alegator, you can download the updated BETAs (pretty sure they're dailys) from that site or Fileforum. It isn't "tightly" integrated into the OS. Just unzip the files to a dir and set up a database and update it. Very easy.

RE: What is the best search tool for Windows? by minipatchou on 09-10-2006 at 09:22 AM

id say the default windows live desktop search or google im not sure.......