Shoutbox

[Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) (/showthread.php?tid=66063)

[Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by SmashD on 09-10-2006 at 06:36 PM

[Image: 4285msgplus-live-animated.gif]

Please watch the animation and tell your thoughts.
Would be cool if Patchou picks up that idea, nothing too hard to program.

Thanks for watching. :P

(btw, the animation starts with "What about auto-hiding desktop contacts...", start watching from that point to avoid confusion)

RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs by ayjay on 09-10-2006 at 06:45 PM

:lol: What an absolutely brilliant way of asking a question :P
This would be a really useful feature actually. I'd use it.

RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs by alexp2_ad on 09-10-2006 at 06:48 PM

Woah... you REALLY put the effort into that. :|

Patchou should implement it just for that. :P

I take it when you say auto hide you mean it becomes more transparent?

That *might* actually be possible with a script... but it'd be hard, you'd need to locate the desktop contacts positions, watch for mouse over of them and then change the transparency.  Far easier if it was build into plus me thinks.

RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs by Patchou on 09-10-2006 at 07:07 PM

I'm impressed, and yes, it's a very good idea.

Ok then, you got it. Middle click will do exactly what you just asked for.

RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs by SmashD on 09-10-2006 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I'm impressed, and yes, it's a very good idea.

Ok then, you got it. Middle click will do exactly what you just asked for.

Wow, thanks alot! Now I can have my desktop contacts always on top without locking the space underneath them. THANKS!
RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs by John Anderton on 09-10-2006 at 07:28 PM

Wow, that was seriously a lot of work into that one request. Its definately the most unique way ive seen a feature request being made :p
Nice :dodgyomar:

RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs by SmashD on 09-10-2006 at 07:47 PM

Well, again thanks alot Patchou!
And of course, thanks alot for your nice comments, ayjay, alexp2_ad, John Anderton and all others that might come. :)

RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs by vaccination on 09-10-2006 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton

I like the feature also, Good job (Y)
RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by MX-G on 09-10-2006 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

x2
RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by Islander on 09-11-2006 at 12:03 PM

I'm not sure if I understand it (ok, I don't). The contacts are hidden, and when you move the mouse to the position it is supposed to be, it appears for 1 second or so?

RE: RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by SmashD on 09-11-2006 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Islander
I'm not sure if I understand it (ok, I don't). The contacts are hidden, and when you move the mouse to the position it is supposed to be, it appears for 1 second or so?

It's the other way round...

-desktop contacts are visible always
-if you middleclick on a desktop contact, it hides itself

thats the way Patchou wants to implement it.

This way you have two advatages:
1. you can have desktop contacts always-on-top and never miss a message from a particular person (when being in tabbed mode you don’t know from which user the last message came until you click the tabbed conversation window, for example)
AND
2. they wont lock the access to the screen areas they occupy, because they are hideable by one single middleclick

Hopefully this was understandable...:P

RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by Islander on 09-11-2006 at 03:46 PM

Ok, now it's more understandable. I guess I don't see the personal use since I only have a few dozen of contacts at all and only 4 floating contacts, which I use to simply see if they are on or not (no tabbed chats needed for my 1 or 2 convos). I assume if you got many chats and many contacts it can be useful.

But there is another thing that comes to my mind... how do you get a floating contact bach once you hide it? I mean, without having to restart MSN. Or would it reappear as soon as that person disconnects (or reconnects) ?

Or is it even the other way around, that, when you click on a floating contact, the tabbed chat for that contact opens, the floating contact hides, and then appears again once there is a new message from that contact ?

RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by ForestPlus! on 09-11-2006 at 03:49 PM

What for those who don't have a middle click?

RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by minipatchou on 09-11-2006 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ForestPlus!

its left and right pressed at the same time thats is middle click
;) hope it helps
nice feature
quote:

RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by ForestPlus! on 09-11-2006 at 03:54 PM

tried it, does nothing

RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by CookieRevised on 09-11-2006 at 04:03 PM

quote:
indeed (and indeed not all mice or drivers take left+right click as a middle click)...

I like this feature a lot. But can't it be implement a little bit different? Like more like other desktop software does it: To have the click-thru effect you need to hold CTRL (or ALT or whatever) and click the left mouse button (or right button, or middle button).

In that way:
- you have all(!) buttons available to click.
- you only need 1 click (not two) to perform the action on the underlying window.
- is more in canon with many other desktop software.

(and when pressing the hotkey while your mouse is over a desktop contact (like CTRL or ALT), the contact can still be made to dissapear for convenience.)
RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by Thor on 09-11-2006 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MX-G
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

x2
x3  Great animation, unique and original way to ask about implenting a feature. (Y)
RE: RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by Patchou on 09-13-2006 at 05:53 AM

quote:

too bad :p
RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by ayjay on 09-13-2006 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
too bad :p

* ayjay goes to buy a cheap 3-button mouse
RE: [Suggestion]: Auto-hiding desktop contatcs (ACCEPTED!) by dimxfullv2 on 09-26-2006 at 04:49 PM

It's great idea !!! Thanks!!!!!