Shoutbox

9/11 the day when the world changed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: 9/11 the day when the world changed (/showthread.php?tid=66066)

9/11 the day when the world changed by minipatchou on 09-10-2006 at 08:06 PM

Hi
Respect the 9/11 its very soon (f)
the horror that those people went through in the twin towers (national trade center)
he September 11, 2001 attacks (often referred to as 9/11—pronounced "nine eleven") consisted of a series of coordinated suicide terrorist attacks upon the United States, predominantly targeting civilians, carried out on Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

That morning, 19 men affiliated with al-Qaeda[1] hijacked four commercial passenger jet airliners. Each team of hijackers included a trained pilot. Two planes (United Airlines Flight 175 and American Airlines Flight 11) crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City, one plane into each tower (One and Two). Both towers collapsed within two hours. The pilot of the third team crashed a plane into the Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia. Passengers and members of the flight crew on the fourth aircraft attempted to retake control of their plane from the hijackers; that plane crashed into a field near the town of Shanksville in rural Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Excluding the 19 hijackers, a confirmed 2,973 people died and another 24 remain missing as a result of these attacks.They have no idea the history those people made on that day
NOTE america are revearsed so 9/11 is 11th of september
Twin tower videos

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by DarkMe on 09-10-2006 at 08:15 PM

9/10/2006 :o one day...
On 9/11/2001 i was traveling to Vancouver :p

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by ForestPlus! on 09-10-2006 at 08:17 PM

Its sad... and people are asking to put planes on WLM nicknames?! thats wrong.
better put a (f) instead.
but yeah, i remember the morning i woke up, and saw it on GMTV. i was horryfied. i had relitives visiting the states.. im not sure whether they're back or still over there, but they are alive. they just get worried about being on planes now. damn terroists

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by qgroessl on 09-10-2006 at 09:21 PM

Yeah... I think everybody (who's old enough) in the United States (maybe around the world) remembers exactly where they were.... I was in fifth grade... just coming up the stairs in school from gym class... and my 5th grade teacher looked horrified... and she explained it to us... and then turned on the TV... blah... just amazes me with it because you never would think it would happen in our own country.... mostly cause the US is like, seperated from most of the world.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by cloudhunter on 09-10-2006 at 09:24 PM

Well I'm british, yet I remember where I was. I was in class, and nothing was said about it. But when I got home, My dad had fox news on and they were just reshowing the footage of the first tower being crashed into...

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by vaccination on 09-10-2006 at 09:27 PM

Yeah i was in school and kids started saying it, and i was all like "pfft rumors..." Then the teachers let us all in on the info, i was shocked to say  the least. When i got home it was on tv, was glued to it for ages.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Max on 09-10-2006 at 09:28 PM

That was my first day at High School, hard to forget really.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by ayjay on 09-10-2006 at 09:59 PM

Was my first day at high school and my mum brought me out early because my uncle lived on the same street as the twin towers and no-one could get hold of him. (He was fine, although the same can't be said for his house :P) Turned out he'd left for work literally minuted before the attack.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by GiantSpider on 09-10-2006 at 10:02 PM

The day George Bush enacted phase one of his plan..........

Anyway, I was on my way to band when I heard it on the radio, all people were thinking was it was a Japanese, stupid really but throwback to the war n that.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by *Saint* on 09-10-2006 at 10:03 PM

I was in grade 8 english class and I only remember because we spent the entire english class talking about it. Although that was only when I found out, after lunch ~1:00 PM. I don't remeber what I was doing when it actually happened.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Voldemort on 09-10-2006 at 10:20 PM

i had the day off beacause of a flood, i saw it live while changing channels idly and stumbling with cnn

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by user27089 on 09-10-2006 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Max
That was my first day at High School, hard to forget really.

It was me first week of high school, it was weird watching it live on the news :s.

i don't think putting a (f) in front of your name on msn does a hell of a lot, I hate it when people do stuff like that, rather than only putting that in front of your name, act up and raise money or something... rather than sitting on your arse, moving your mouse and hitting 3 keys. Anybody can put a (f) in front of their name, even if they don't care about the 9/11 incident. Do something privately so that you know and you feel good about it, rather than do something publically to make people think to themselves, "hey, he's a good guy.. he has a flower in front of his name on msn!"
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Zephyr on 09-10-2006 at 11:24 PM

I remember when i first heard about it. It was my first week in year 8 and i was with a friend and we heard some sixth formers saying something about some planes crashing into some buildings. It was only when i got home when i realised what they were talking about. Me and my family were just watching the news for ages, everyone was just in shock.

At school today, we'll probably have a few minutes silence like we did last year.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by MeEtc on 09-11-2006 at 11:27 AM

http://www.google.ca/search?&q=loose+change

Thats All I have to say

RE: RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by alexp2_ad on 09-11-2006 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
http://www.google.ca/search?&q=loose+change

Thats All I have to say

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3143048862360929736

That's all I have to say.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by qgroessl on 09-11-2006 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
Yet ~30% of Americans could not remember which year it happened in

Source?... and what age group is that...

As for conspiracy theories... yeah... there are some.... the only one that's right is that a bunch of the taliban conspired and killed over 3000 people....

RE: RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by alexp2_ad on 09-11-2006 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
Yet ~30% of Americans could not remember which year it happened in

Source?... and what age group is that...

As for conspiracy theories... yeah... there are some.... the only one that's right is that a bunch of the taliban conspired and killed over 3000 people....

The 30% of americans figure was on Digg at some point but it was later pointed out the almost all of the figure was made up of old people and such, who were far less likely to remember, and that almost all young adults to middle aged people knew.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Eddie on 09-11-2006 at 12:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -Damo
I remember waking up, I was only 9 years old and it was all over the morning news, it was pretty freaky
i was same age as you, i had just got home from school in England to walk in to my lounge room to turn on TV to watch whatever i usually watched and it was all 911. :S But that loosechange website that was posted actually makes some good points and makes what they say sort of believable :\
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Lourix on 09-11-2006 at 01:03 PM

My dad was on the plane that hit the twin towers but he went on another flight using the same plane if you get what I mean.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Salem on 09-11-2006 at 02:09 PM

I'm South African (now living in the UK).

I remember watching TV on SABC 2, and then switching over to e.tv at 4pm SA Time to watch Pokémon, but which was interupted by Live coverage of the events from CNN Europe. 2 out of the 2 free-to-air channels had interupted regular programming in favour of rolling news coverage, which i followed closely. In fact e.tv, didn't go back to normal programming until the following monday, but instead offered news coverage from CNN Europe, Fox News & Sky News.

IN MEMORY OF ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE EVENTS OF 9/11.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by qgroessl on 09-11-2006 at 03:34 PM

Yeah... that picture is just sick in my mind....

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by minipatchou on 09-11-2006 at 04:14 PM

well
ive just came back from school and we had no minute silences...but had a assembly about 9/11:P

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by prashker on 09-11-2006 at 08:34 PM

In this text file it shows the names of all of the lost ones on 9/11

R.I.P :(

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by user27089 on 09-11-2006 at 08:39 PM

My school had an assembly today, but they didn't speak about 9/11, they refused too as we all know about it already and we don't need to be reminded about it every 5 minutes, it'll always be in our memories and our hearts.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Astynax on 09-11-2006 at 08:59 PM

...i remember wanting to grab a gun and shoot me some terrorists...

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by vaccination on 09-11-2006 at 09:22 PM

I was quite disappointed in our school today. Usually they always do a minute silence for this sought of thing and today they did nothing and none of the teachers seemed to care. :(

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Astynax on 09-11-2006 at 09:27 PM

you have to move on at some point.

3000 people may have died, but that is nothing compared to the amount of people that died during WW1 and WW2 (and im not combining bith death tolls together)

those people would much prefer you all to go on with your lives and build a better world, then to think of them every year, in silence.

celebrate in joy the life the dead have lived, and do not shed a tear for the fact they have passed...

...im sure someone said that.. im just not sure who.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by _Humphreys on 09-11-2006 at 10:00 PM

I mourn the death of those who died on that day however, I don't like the way that 9/11 was used and treated.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by vaccination on 09-11-2006 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Astynax
you have to move on at some point.

3000 people may have died, but that is nothing compared to the amount of people that died during WW1 and WW2 (and im not combining bith death tolls together)

rememberence day come to mind ¬¬. It doesn't how many people die. And i would imagine they would be glad we are thinking of them.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Lou on 09-12-2006 at 12:45 AM

Ground Zero will become a memorial area. The freedom tower will be a memorial tower as well (in it's own way), as it will have 111 levels instead of 110 (for the date). We are, however, lucky that the plan did not suceed as planned. (It was to grab the water from the bay and flood the subway, instantly killing 5,000,000 people. See First post, paragraphs 4 and 5: Terrorism - Are we helping) I personally think this is no big deal. Maybe 9 years and 11 years after...but 5? What's so special about 5? I'm sad so many people died but I don't think most of the fuss on the news and stuff is needed. They didn't do that last year:undecided:
(Sorry for the advertising)

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by ShawnZ on 09-12-2006 at 01:05 AM

the world trade center going down was pure brilliance. only a true artist would die to orchestrate something that would create such a powerful message. think about it, the choice of building, the method, the aftermath, they're all directly related to what they tried to portray by doing this. even the timing was perfect. so a few (thousand) people had to die for it to work, but thats just what it took.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by cloudhunter on 09-12-2006 at 01:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
the world trade center going down was pure brilliance. only a true artist would die to orchestrate something that would create such a powerful message. think about it, the choice of building, the method, the aftermath, they're all directly related to what they tried to portray by doing this. even the timing was perfect. so a few (thousand) people had to die for it to work, but thats just what it took.

Well it sure put it's point across. It wounded America, and let it know that it isn't invincible. They picked the buildings which were recognisable on the sky line.

Sure they could have picked different buildings, but none of them would have had the same inpact.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by ShawnZ on 09-12-2006 at 02:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudhunter
quote:

Well it sure put it's point across. It wounded America, and let it know that it isn't invincible. They picked the buildings which were recognisable on the sky line.

Sure they could have picked different buildings, but none of them would have had the same inpact.

no no no. think about it, what do they do at the world trade center, and how does it affect them?
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by cloudhunter on 09-12-2006 at 02:19 AM

quote:

no no no. think about it, what do they do at the world trade center, and how does it affect them?

Well i'm afraid I don't know what they did at the world trade center, although I know there were offices there.

Maybe someone else knows...

Cloudy
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Curtis on 09-12-2006 at 02:51 AM

I don't care much about 9/11, I just don't have any relation to it.  No one I knew died.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by qgroessl on 09-12-2006 at 03:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudhunter
Well i'm afraid I don't know what they did at the world trade center, although I know there were offices there.

It was a major center of trade throughout the international world I believe... I'm not exactly sure... but I'd imagine it had to do with international trade. TBH the death toll is probably fairly inaccurate with the number of clients and things some of those people might see in a day.

.Lou's comments about why 5 years... well... they're not going to put more signifcance on the date... it's like an anniversary... generally multiples of 5 and 10 are more emphasized then 3 or 6 years after the fact.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by qgroessl on 09-12-2006 at 12:07 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
Ground Zero will become a memorial area.

I heard McDonalds were gonna buy it... and make it their first fly-through restaurant.

dude... stfu.... Honestly I don't care where you're from.... you could be from fucking afghanistan.... don't say shit like that... don't post them fucking pictures.... 3000 people died... and you can be so cold hearted as to not even care. I hope somebody hijacks a plane in your town and kills half of it....

Not really... but that would be the equivilant.... so I don't care if you hate Bush... hate the US or whatever... If you don't care about 9/11... don't post in this damn thread... it's a memorial thread... not a "let's go make fun of the people who died" thread.

EDIT:... now that I think of it I could bring up a touchy subject with the London Train bombings... or buses or whatever it was where a bunch of people died... Sure... I don't know exactly what happened... but I'm not about to go crack jokes and post pictures making fun of it... I have more respect for the other people here than that...
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Astynax on 09-12-2006 at 12:40 PM

i don't hate the us.. but i don't feel like living the rest of my life mourning for those who no longer have life.

i have a life to live, and you have to get over it eventually.

nobody i knew died so i have no reason to be sad, sure if someone i knew did, then i would, but i'd still get over it, and i wouldn't be sad for them every year, i'd get over it.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by brian on 09-12-2006 at 12:42 PM

quote:
quote:
I heard McDonalds were gonna buy it... and make it their first fly-through restaurant.

THE CASE IS CLOSED.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Astynax on 09-12-2006 at 12:46 PM

well... The World Trade center was where alot of the US stock market trading and shit went down.

after the towers were hit, the US Stock market took a huge hit, and its still not recovered.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by MeEtc on 09-12-2006 at 12:55 PM

a bit off topic, but did anyone notice the thread id?
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=66066
coincidence? I think not...

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Underlord on 09-12-2006 at 01:06 PM

quote:
I've been a member 2 years now (almost? I think) and I have NEVER seen a memorial thread for the 135 thousand people who died in the Hiroshima atomic bomb incident.
[Image: Hiroshima_aftermath.jpg]
A nice image to remind people what happened in Hiroshima.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Funness on 09-12-2006 at 01:10 PM

Yes, 3,000 or so people died from "dem damn terrorists" but what about the 6000 or so us/uk soldiers that, if you follow it to the top of the chain, have been killed by G W Bush in Iraq, the county that had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks. Or the 444 soldiers and the 1,000 to 1,300 civilians who died in Afghanistan?

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by qgroessl on 09-12-2006 at 03:11 PM

But even so if there was a memorial thread I don't think people would go and make crude jokes about it.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Vilkku on 09-12-2006 at 07:56 PM

Time: for the first, and most likely the last time, I agree with you

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by ShawnZ on 09-12-2006 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
dude... stfu.... Honestly I don't care where you're from.... you could be from fucking afghanistan.... don't say shit like that... don't post them fucking pictures.... 3000 people died... and you can be so cold hearted as to not even care. I hope somebody hijacks a plane in your town and kills half of it....

why should anyone care? lol, 154398+ people die daily.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by kao on 09-12-2006 at 08:39 PM

again, i agree with time ;p

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by ShawnZ on 09-12-2006 at 08:49 PM

quote:
I have NEVER seen a memorial thread for the 135 thousand people who died in the Hiroshima atomic bomb incident.

thats because everyone on this forum is racist.

http://www.authentichistory.com/ww2/music/1942021...ucky_Millinder.mp3
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by prashker on 09-12-2006 at 08:51 PM

quote:
quote:
I have NEVER seen a memorial thread for the 135 thousand people who died in the Hiroshima atomic bomb incident.

http://www.authentichistory.com/ww2/music/1942021...ucky_Millinder.mp3

dodgy :lol:
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Voldemort on 09-12-2006 at 08:55 PM

note:
3 people die each second.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by dement0r on 09-12-2006 at 10:15 PM

Well fucking said, Time. That just about sums it all up. Spend war money on more important things - war is good for nothing, and violence doesn't solve anything!

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by cloudhunter on 09-12-2006 at 10:17 PM

I agree with you Time. Death shouldn't be repayed with death. Money should go into saving peoples lives, rather than endangering them.

PS: One of the good bad jokes I have heard :P

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Funness on 09-13-2006 at 02:32 AM

In my media room at school, there is a poster that, granted it is from the 1980's, but states "The ammount of money the world spends on arms is almost the same ammount of money needed to feel, cloth and provide basic medical treatment to the worlds needy for a year."

Since the arms are getting smarter and more expencive, I bet the ammount of time we could provide these things has gone up.

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Astynax on 09-13-2006 at 02:54 AM

quote:

actually im not racist at all.

i just hate certain groups of people, it doesnt matter what race they are.

.... i majorly hate, Blind to the fact christians and catholics who force thier religion down everyones throat.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by user27089 on 09-13-2006 at 06:33 AM

quote:
quote:

actually im not racist at all.

i just hate certain groups of people, it doesnt matter what race they are.

.... i majorly hate, Blind to the fact christians and catholics who force thier religion down everyones throat.

You're just an idiot to be honest.

And by the way:

quote:
Originally posted by the rules
Corrective Action: If you do not follow the rules, we have the right to edit/delete your posts/account or deny your access to this board. If you are banned, you must not try to bypass the ban by registering new accounts, and you may not post messages to any part of the board.

I'm obligated to tell an admin.
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by Astynax on 09-13-2006 at 10:19 AM

no, i just hate certain people.

RE: RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by CookieRevised on 09-13-2006 at 10:33 AM

I can't believe the stupid and total arrogance, disrespectfulness and plain imature attitude of certain people here...

If YOU don't care about something like this, fine. That's your good right. But at least show some respect to those who DO care.

But no, what you just do is posting "comics", sarcastic stuff and what not with the ONLY intention to shock, stir things up and what not.

And only when people complain you come up with the explanation behind it and why you supposidly posted it. Well, sorry, big major B S... I don't buy that "I posted it to let you think" at all anymore... If that is how you try to make people think or try to be funny all the time, then imho I think it is not us who are arrogant, ignorant or "not having a sense of humor"...

I, personally, do not care about 9/11 like others do either because I too think that it is blown out of proportion with that "when the world changed" stuff (indeed forgetting about stuff which happened in the WW's, what happens to people on other countries on a much wider scale, etc)...

BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN I CAN BE DISREPECTFUL TOWARDS THOSE WHO DO WANT TO REMEMBER THIS....

If you don't care about things like this, don't post...

If you don't agree with a memorial thread, fine, don't post in it.

If you want to discuss the whole thing, fine, but do it with respect to everybody, including those who do care and do want to remember it.

You guys do nothing more than constantly lowering yourself more and more with those posts (and not only refering to this thread) and show more and more how "respectful" you actually are towards others (despite if your opinion is correct or not)...

If you want to question the whole memorial thing you can do that also by simply stating this or asking a question, with respect to others... instead of constantly posting material and stuff with the only intention to shock, disrespect people and what not....

Also, the "you're missing the point", "get a sense of humor", "get a joke", etc lines are totally irrelevant and out of place.

--

eg: I too do agree with what you said in your last posts, Time, but that does not make the other posts any less disrespectful (eventhough I DO see the slight humor in that cartoon; I would not go that far to post something like that because OTHERS might find it offensive).

Turn this around. What if you posted a thread about something you deeply care about and someone else starts posting sarcastic stuff and accusing you for "not having humor" and what not? You would find it disrespectful too (and don't say "I wouldn't post a thread about it in the first place" or "they can post whatever they want" as that is besides the point; the point is taking in account other people and respect their choices and feelings, especially in manners like this).

-------

EDIT: sorry for the bad words used in this post, but... realy... This whole 9/11 thing started because of lack of respect to fellow human beings and what do you see in a thread which tries to give some respect to those who died?... a disrespectfull pic is posted (and it is by far the first time something like this happens in a thread.)

RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by John Anderton on 09-13-2006 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
note:
3 people die each second.
I wonder how many of them are killed?
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by absorbation on 09-13-2006 at 02:13 PM

quote:

Actually it is taught Christians should not try and convert other religons and leave them in peace. 'There is room in Heaven for everyone', that quote is why this is believed.

Do you even know what rasict means?
RE: 9/11 the day when the world changed by vaccination on 09-13-2006 at 02:56 PM

I agree with cookie, you should respect other people feelings towards situations like this, the only reason i would liked to of had a minutes silence at my school was because i know quite a few people in my school who lost friends or family and it would be nice to think about their looses with them and possibly make them feel a bit better.

I agree with time in the whole it's blown out of proportion and we should spend the money better but it isn't nice to post an image(even if i did find it funny) when most people reading/posting in this thread care about the event and want to pay a tribute of some kind to those that died.

On another note, i hate the fact of the "the day the world changed" thing because its utter rubbish. Most people, i believe, think this because it happened to/in America. Also when you start going to war with people such as Iraq and stay in their country continually enraging them more and more, it's practically stooping as low as them. Politics and the government are corrupt in my opinion.