Shoutbox

Extracting Emoticons? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Extracting Emoticons? (/showthread.php?tid=66170)

Extracting Emoticons? by MrLuke on 09-13-2006 at 12:00 PM

Is there a way to get the actual files that the emoticons are, out ? I mean, say you want to back up all the emotes you have accumilated from various people and places, and want them in their original form as a GIF, BMP, JPG, PNG etc.. is there a way to do that?

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by Felu on 09-13-2006 at 12:05 PM

CookieRevised's reply to "Where does MSN store its stuff?"
CookieRevised's reply to "where is your custom stuff stored?'

These have detailed explanation and also have an answer to your question.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For Windows Live Messenger:
The cache directory is now located at %temp%\MessengerCache and will contain PNGs and GIFs (gifs are used for the animated emoticons only).
Files are named with a hash and have no extension. But if you browse that directory with a graphics program which can reconize graphic formats by their contents you can easly pick the ones you need and copt them

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by RaceProUK on 09-13-2006 at 08:55 PM

Animated emoticons are in GIF format, all others, including DPs, and in PNG format. Just change the file extensions from .dat to .gif or .png, and if one doesn't work, the other will.

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by Jarrod on 09-16-2006 at 03:46 AM

there was a program called ce/dp stealler and it saves all the emotions used in the current session (as their orignal file type)  but i don't know how useful it is with some of the latest versions of msn

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by Jimbo on 09-16-2006 at 09:39 AM

i use ce/dp stealer with WLM and it works perfectly.
Link to download it:
CEDP stealer 4

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by MrLuke on 09-16-2006 at 09:43 AM

I found verson 5.0 earlier, and it came with adware and a my scanner picked up a trojan in it too.. :S

Other than that though, it worked fone for what I wanted it for! :P

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by Jimbo on 09-16-2006 at 09:52 AM

thats the reason i posted version 4, because it comes with no trojans or any adware.

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by MrLuke on 09-16-2006 at 10:03 AM

Ah. If only I'd known earlier. No matter

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by Patchou on 09-16-2006 at 03:40 PM

note: emoticons will be accesssible to scripts in version 4.10.

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by Fredzz on 11-02-2006 at 01:13 PM

My Nod32 AV just detected multiplhe threats when i tried to download version 4. I'm looking for some old Display Pictures. Is there a program without spyware/adware/virus that can show me a preview of all the cached display pictures?

Thanks in advance. I replied here so it's not necessary to create a new thread :D

RE: Extracting Emoticons? by CookieRevised on 11-02-2006 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fredzz
My Nod32 AV just detected multiplhe threats when i tried to download version 4. I'm looking for some old Display Pictures. Is there a program without spyware/adware/virus that can show me a preview of all the cached display pictures?

Thanks in advance. I replied here so it's not necessary to create a new thread :D
You actually don't need any special software if you have a paint/graphics program like Paint Shop Pro or similar which can browse a directory of pictures (extremely many can be found with google).

See second post (Felu's) in this thread to get to the locations of the cached content.