Shoutbox

"STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! (/showthread.php?tid=66202)

"STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Jimcando on 09-13-2006 at 10:53 PM

I turned on the computer and after the boot screen a blue screen appears saying "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" and I can't log on.
Any help websites I can find just say to install a hotfix or make sure I have the latest service pack, but I can't get on to the computer to do any of this! :S

Any ideas?

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Stigmata on 09-13-2006 at 11:03 PM

Means there is a error in memory block c000021a

reinstall the operating system :)

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Jimcando on 09-13-2006 at 11:05 PM

Ya, thats what I thought I might have to do :(

Will I be able to put the hard drive into another computer and rescue all my files :P

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Stigmata on 09-13-2006 at 11:22 PM

just input the setup disk and choose to repair..

no formatting/deleting files..

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 09-14-2006 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata

erm, first of all, thats the error code, not a "memory block." also, if it were memory, how would reinstalling the operating system fix it?

that certain BSOD is a kernel-side failsafe. it'll happen when CSRSS exits or is killed. (see: process explorer, csrss.exe > end process)
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by iondream on 11-06-2006 at 07:41 PM

This is an error in winlogon. check this out.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156669

basically, press f8 during startup before the winlogo comes up, and choose  "last configuration that worked"

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by C_C_C on 08-04-2007 at 07:12 AM

I get this error when trying to install Windows. As well other times I may get the c0000221 error. This happens right after the first shut down of the computer.

I had my motherboard replaced and have been in contact with the supplier and the maker of the motherboard, ASUS, ( M2NPV-VM )

I have tested my RAM, (tried two different RAM testing programs, no errors found), ran several different copies of Windows XP Pro, all which works on other computers, used three different CD players.

I am using a Patriot PSD251266781 512MB - 5300 CLS RoHS Compliant RAM stick

RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by segosa on 08-04-2007 at 10:20 AM

quote:

Using this post as an example, I propose we ban idiots from helping.
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 08-04-2007 at 10:27 AM

C_C_C, when you see this message: Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver. during XP setup, press F7.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by C_C_C on 08-04-2007 at 06:34 PM

Thanks for the reply "segosa":
But unfortunately I am not able to, I just get one of the two error messages during the installation attempt and I have to start over, and over, and over with no success!

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by C_C_C on 08-09-2007 at 05:51 AM

Re:
C_C_C, when you see this message: Press F6 if you have to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver. during XP setup, press F7.

Sorry that I never got back to you sooner on this, but these features (F6 or F7) did nothing. Even tried UBCD and was unable to successfully install Windows XP with it....? Exhausted many suggestions, with no success. We think it is the motherboard which was replaced prior to all of this. the RAM (512MB) tested all right. Tried to install different versions of Windows, Vista, XP Home, and even '98.:@

RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by teddyshady on 09-08-2007 at 07:18 PM

quote:
just input the setup disk and choose to repair..

no formatting/deleting files..

I accidentally changed the PSAPI.dll file name ins Systems32 to PSAPIold.dll (don't ask please)

i am getting the message, i have tryed last known good config but doesn't work, will the repair work?
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by matty on 09-08-2007 at 07:38 PM

If you boot of the Windows XP installation cd and choose 'R' for repair.

When the Recovery Console loads press 1 (for the corresponding operating system). Then press Enter

Then type cd system32 and press enter
Then type ren psapiold.dll psapi.dll and press enter

Then type exit and press enter

RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by teddyshady on 09-08-2007 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
If you boot of the Windows XP installation cd and choose 'R' for repair.

When the Recovery Console loads press 1 (for the corresponding operating system). Then press Enter

Then type cd system32 and press enter
Then type ren psapiold.dll psapi.dll and press enter

Then type exit and press enter

I figured it out before i read this but many thanks anyways! i was trying to Google on how to do the rename thing  and i found out at the end! i have never been this please to see my computer turn on! lol

by the way the psapi.dll is not in my systems32 folder no more, its just in windows?

shall i copy it in there or leave it how it is?

the whole reason i got into this mess is becaues my windows messenger is reporting an error out of it! i tryed repairing it but that didnt work then i read somewhere to change the psapi file to psapiold and it will work after reboot! arrh

"the procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL.

thats the error i get... the psapi.dll file is also located in these folders:

BT Broadband Dektop Help\Smartbridge
Motive\Common
BT Broadband Dektop Help\de\classic\bin
BT Broadband Dektop Help\de\jsharp\bin
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by kaseya John on 01-04-2008 at 06:07 AM

I'm Experiencing this problem. I was advised to reinstall the operating system but i could not do it because i was receing a (pfn-list-corrupt) messege just on the initial installation. I changed the memory stick and this seems to have solved the problem. I'm confused of what could be the real problem.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by sql7 on 02-10-2008 at 08:57 AM

i had BSOD

stop: c000021a

blabla session manager initialization 0xc000026c {0x000 000 00 0x 000 000 00}

solution is replace corrupted file

WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys

:)

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by kimba8962 on 05-10-2008 at 01:21 AM

I am getting error after being informed via Symantec Anti-Virus that I had a Trojan and must reboot to complete removal. I was able to recover one time to the last known configuration. But now the laptop is dead and will need to be rebuilt.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by 5hundo on 09-13-2008 at 07:31 PM

I have this same problem and I was hoping someone can help me. The status is 0xc06d007e. I tried to repair but it wouldn't let me without trying to scan the drive for errors. However, the drive was scanned and reported no errors.

I'm at a loss people....

Please help! All of my Master's degree stuff is on here... :(

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 09-13-2008 at 07:47 PM

5hundo:

did the message look like this (but with different writing)?

[Image: Windows_XP_BSOD.png]

if not, you have a different problem.

RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by 5hundo on 09-13-2008 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
5hundo:

did the message look like this (but with different writing)?

if not, you have a different problem.

No, it just said:
quote:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc06d007e (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShakyTech on 09-15-2008 at 04:33 PM

For all those with the same problem...as I did I found out what the problems is:

(6)MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!(6)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 has caused this problem!:@

If you have this problem restart your machine and before XP boots in press F8.  Then go to "Last Known Good Configuration", select Windows XP (Home or Professional depending on OS yo have) and then your PC will restart and hopefully allow you to log back in.

However once you are in it will try and reinstall the same Service Pack....DON'T LET IT DO IT other wise you will have the same problem.

Good luck!!!!:D

Further advice----

If your system won't let you login there is only one other thing to do....reinstall the OS.

This can be done without overwriting any of the files you have personally saved.

Restart your machine with your XP OS disc in the CD drive and make sure that it reads this before reading the HDD (hard-drive).

Once you ask the CD to load XP again let don't choose "fresh copy" choose "repair".  This will remove the "nasty":@ files that Service Pack 3 installed and then reinstall the original files you need.

8-|
RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by 5hundo on 09-16-2008 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShakyTech
Further advice----

If your system won't let you login there is only one other thing to do....reinstall the OS.

This can be done without overwriting any of the files you have personally saved.

Restart your machine with your XP OS disc in the CD drive and make sure that it reads this before reading the HDD (hard-drive).

Once you ask the CD to load XP again let don't choose "fresh copy" choose "repair".  This will remove the "nasty":@ files that Service Pack 3 installed and then reinstall the original files you need.

8-|

I just realized something:

I have a dell with XP media edition. I don't have an OS "disc". The operating system is stored internally. Anyone know how to access it?

Sorry to be a pain... :$

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 09-16-2008 at 02:48 AM

quote:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 has caused this problem!

no, you're definately 100% and completely wrong.

you should *always* install service pack 3. it isn't provided for you to choose whether to install or not -- it has many important security updates and bug fixes that you don't want to go without.

quote:

this isn't true. from Recovery Console to BartPE (and the windows recovery environment on Vista,) there are tonnes of ways to fix a windows installation without being able to log in.

quote:
Originally posted by 5hundo
I have a dell with XP media edition. I don't have an OS "disc". The operating system is stored internally. Anyone know how to access it?

well, if you want to repair windows, you need the CD. if you want to erase everything and start from scratch, though, dell might have some recovery thing that restores your computer to factory defaults.

but there may be an easier way to fix your computer -- you just haven't provided a lot of information about your problem. what did you do before it stopped working, etc?
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShakyTech on 09-16-2008 at 11:19 AM

If I am 100% wrong about Service Pack 3 why are there so many threads from people who have had the same error?

Also if I am so wrong why did microsoft need to give the following webpage http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669/en-us ?

If you look at this page it CLEARLY states that a "service pack installation has failed"?

Most threads have had this problem directly after XP tried to automatically install Service Pack 3.

I suggest you do some research, like I did before you comment on what others know to be wrong.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Spunky on 09-16-2008 at 12:15 PM

quote:
The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:
•    Mismatched system files have been installed.
•    A Service Pack installation has failed.
•    A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
•    An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

There are a few different causes, not just a "failed service pack". do you know what that means anyway? It means the installation was not successful. I know loads of people with SP3 installed so how is it specifically SP3 that is the problem? It is because the installation didn't complete... (maybe some files were still in use for example)

It's people like you going on MS rants that gives the company a bad name, when the haven't done anything wrong. Yes MS makes lots of mistakes, but to be fair, they have pioneered a lot of things and get slated for them when they go wrong =/
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShakyTech on 09-16-2008 at 03:00 PM

5hundo

There are a few ways to get to the C: of your drive to try and repair it.

The first thing to try is to get to the C prompt, when the computer starts press F12 to get to the "safe mode" commands on a dell.   If this fails then you can go to
http://www.moonvalleysoft.com/product_info.php?pr...4JUCFQ1gQgodnxAzXA

which will let you download free boot recovery disks that you can then use to gain access to your machine.  Once there look for the i386 folder in windows which can then be used to repair windows.

If all else fails get an XP cd which will allow you to repair Windows, or you can try and use the setup of XP from a Dell recovery disk by exploring it.

Try these and if they still don't work then put up another post and I'll try and help you out.:D:

You say Microsoft are soooooo good?

Do you work for them?

IE 7....a rip off of Mozilla Firefox.
Windows 98...so bad at the beginning they had to bring out Version 2.
Windows ME....so many bugs.

They don't get it right everytime.  If they did they would never need so many support pages for when their software goes wrong.

I use Microsoft products all the time, but spend more time helping people who have problems with Microsoft software.

BTW I have been working with computers for 20 years....have you?8o|
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 09-16-2008 at 07:58 PM

Just a quick question about the service pack 3. I dont want to instal it on my computer but i have atomatic updates. So its downloading it automatically and bugging me to instal it. Everytime i cancel it a minute later it re-downloads it again and asks me to instal it. It doesnt matter how many times i cancel it keeps going. Its making my CPU hit the roof and my computer barely usable.

Is there any way to just leave automatic updates on. But stop my computer downloading just the service pack update?

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Spunky on 09-16-2008 at 09:23 PM

"Don't notify me about this update again"

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by [B]roken.[Hearts] on 09-16-2008 at 09:53 PM

its automatic updates. it doesnt come up with that at all. it just comes up saying theres new updates to instal. And when you click it, it just instals the updates.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShakyTech on 09-17-2008 at 11:47 PM

[B]roken.[H]earts...

Yes there is...

Go into Automatic Updates in your control panel and select "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them".

When they download you will get a yellow shield in the task bar (beside the clock).

When Service Pack 3 downloads again, double click the shield and this will pop up a box.  Instead clicking "install automatically" choose "manual install".

Another box will pop up with all the updates to be installed.

Uncheck the one for SP3 and before you press "continue" or "install" (I forget which one), click on the blue message which should say something like "Do not notify me about these updates again".

That should sort the problem.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 09-18-2008 at 12:58 AM

here's what to do if you don't want to install SP3:

in windows update, follow the steps as if you were to install SP3, up until the part where the SP3 installer starts. once that happens, close your eyes for an hour. when you open them again, your computer definitely won't have SP3 installed, and windows update will never bother you about it again.

quote:
You say Microsoft are soooooo good?

Do you work for them?

IE 7....a rip off of Mozilla Firefox.
yeah, they stole that "browse the web" feature! it's almost as if they do the exact same thing!
quote:
Windows 98...so bad at the beginning they had to bring out Version 2.
would you have preferred it better if they called 98SE "Windows 99"?
quote:
Windows ME....so many bugs.
and? that was 8 years ago.

quote:
They don't get it right everytime.  If they did they would never need so many support pages for when their software goes wrong.
how clueless can you be? SP3 isn't a new OS -- it's an *update*. as in, the exact thing designed to FIX problems that they didn't get right the first time! that's the entire POINT behind SP3. it was created solely to *fix* bugs. on top of that, don't forget about all the security updates it has -- purposely not installing it is like willingly choosing to run openly buggy software.

quote:
I use Microsoft products all the time, but spend more time helping people who have problems with Microsoft software.

BTW I have been working with computers for 20 years....have you?

it wouldn't matter if you've been working with computers for 100 years if you've been doing it wrong the entire time.
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Spunky on 09-18-2008 at 01:39 AM

quote:
it wouldn't matter if you've been working with computers for 100 years if you've been doing it wrong the entire time.

(L) Awesomeness.
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by segosa on 09-18-2008 at 02:36 AM

as much as shawnz is a little arrogant bastard, he's right

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Jarrod on 09-18-2008 at 10:53 AM

quote:
how clueless can you be? SP3 isn't a new OS -- it's an *update*. as in, the exact thing designed to FIX problems that they didn't get right the first time! that's the entire POINT behind SP3. it was created solely to *fix* bugs. on top of that, don't forget about all the security updates it has -- purposely not installing it is like willingly choosing to run openly buggy software.
he is right the only reason your windows software should be buggy is cos you don't update it, if it was actually that buggy and they weren't doing at least something right would they still have the market share?

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShakyTech on 09-18-2008 at 12:45 PM

:@MEGABYTE ME!!!!!!!!!:@

ShawnZ is not very well informed.  And yes arrogant.

A search of google using "XP Service Pack 3 problems" showed almost 8Million hits.

I know the Service Packs are there to fix bugs, but the latest SP3 causes a fundamental error....it causes systems to go into a reboot loop.  However as ShawnZ seems not to have a problem with it then I guess the millions who have a problem with it are all wrong and he's the only right guy.

If you thik ShawnZ is right and all-powerful then you and he won't want to visit this page....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/windows_x...3_reboots_crashes/

End of Discussion.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Jarrod on 09-18-2008 at 01:15 PM

quote:
:@MEGABYTE ME!!!!!!!!!:@

ShawnZ is not very well informed.  And yes arrogant.

A search of google using "XP Service Pack 3 problems" showed almost 8Million hits.

I know the Service Packs are there to fix bugs, but the latest SP3 causes a fundamental error....it causes systems to go into a reboot loop.  However as ShawnZ seems not to have a problem with it then I guess the millions who have a problem with it are all wrong and he's the only right guy.

If you thik ShawnZ is right and all-powerful then you and he won't want to visit this page....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/windows_x...3_reboots_crashes/

End of Discussion.
there is no technical credit to that article, i haven't had problems with sp3 neither has anyone i know and i know m$ aren't the smartest shark in the pond but they did beta test sp3,  cos if it did what that artical says it does it would not have been released

quote:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=927615]
google results can be used to prove anything

quote:
End of Discussion.

now who's being arrogant?
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Spunky on 09-18-2008 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod

because it searches for "problems", "service and "pack" even if "XP" and "3" are not found... they just have less relevant results. I bet only a few pages would be what you were looking for and only a handful of them relevant to a specific problem and none of them caused by XP Service Pack 3, but rather by incompetant users such as yourself. End of Discussion.
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by mkl on 09-18-2008 at 11:05 PM

Hi everyone,

First post here. I ran into pretty much the same problem as the OP. I think if I give out as much information as I can, then you could better provide me with some expert help.

My computer had a virus/spyware problem a year ago, and I fixed it with a rootkit anti virus program. I also "fixed" the computer with RegCure, or so I think. Turns out that drwstn32.exe starts to open many copies of itself after I use the computer for a few days and opened more programs. At that time, I have to shut it down and restart it to solve the problem. Also, sometimes the computer says Winlogon.exe has failed upon restarting.

So two days ago, I was updating Windows SP3, and I opened a few programs during upgrade. I did not shut down the laptop for a few days, and the Dr. Watson problem happened. At that time, nothing was working, and being a smartass that I was, I manually unplugged my laptop to restart it, thinking that Windows has saved the previous good configuration.

When I restarted it, XP tried to restore to its previous configuration. However, half way through, the C000021a error occurred. I could not even get it to start in safe mode, or restore previous configuration. Right after the XP splash screen, the blue screen shows up.

So right now I cannot even get into my computer. I'm not too great with command prompt, so I'm not sure what to do. Of course, I did not back up my documents in there. A fresh reinstallation would probably work, but I don't want to lose my files. My friends also suggested using Linux to get the files out and then reinstall the OS. That might work, but if there is an easier solution it would be great.

Would repairing it with a XP disc work? It's a Dell laptop, and I don't have the recovery disc with me. Would any XP disc work? Thank you very much for all your help. Without a computer, it's like 1996 all over again, except this time, I don't have any toys.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Jarrod on 09-19-2008 at 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
it was not me who posted that:P
quote:
Originally posted by mkl
Hi everyone,

First post here. I ran into pretty much the same problem as the OP. I think if I give out as much information as I can, then you could better provide me with some expert help.

My computer had a virus/spyware problem a year ago, and I fixed it with a rootkit anti virus program. I also "fixed" the computer with RegCure, or so I think. Turns out that drwstn32.exe starts to open many copies of itself after I use the computer for a few days and opened more programs. At that time, I have to shut it down and restart it to solve the problem. Also, sometimes the computer says Winlogon.exe has failed upon restarting.

So two days ago, I was updating Windows SP3, and I opened a few programs during upgrade. I did not shut down the laptop for a few days, and the Dr. Watson problem happened. At that time, nothing was working, and being a smartass that I was, I manually unplugged my laptop to restart it, thinking that Windows has saved the previous good configuration.

When I restarted it, XP tried to restore to its previous configuration. However, half way through, the C000021a error occurred. I could not even get it to start in safe mode, or restore previous configuration. Right after the XP splash screen, the blue screen shows up.

So right now I cannot even get into my computer. I'm not too great with command prompt, so I'm not sure what to do. Of course, I did not back up my documents in there. A fresh reinstallation would probably work, but I don't want to lose my files. My friends also suggested using Linux to get the files out and then reinstall the OS. That might work, but if there is an easier solution it would be great.

Would repairing it with a XP disc work? It's a Dell laptop, and I don't have the recovery disc with me. Would any XP disc work? Thank you very much for all your help. Without a computer, it's like 1996 all over again, except this time, I don't have any toys.
@mkl, doing that could work but it is not guaranteed that that will fix your problem, you might as well boot into something other than windows and back up everything, that's how we'd do it at work then if the repair doesn't fix it we'd preform a format

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 09-19-2008 at 12:34 PM

try uninstalling the service pack from the recovery console :p

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/unins...onsole/169701.html

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Spunky on 09-19-2008 at 03:21 PM

quote:
it was not me who posted that

quote:

Sorry, I'm using the Dodgy WDZ qiuck quote service :p *cough*needs upgrading*cough* j/k
RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by mkl on 09-19-2008 at 04:26 PM

quote:

@mkl, doing that could work but it is not guaranteed that that will fix your problem, you might as well boot into something other than windows and back up everything, that's how we'd do it at work then if the repair doesn't fix it we'd preform a format

Thanks Jarrod. Does that mean that you recommend boot up Linux to recover the files, and then try to restore or reinstall with the XP disc? I don't have the Dell disc that came with the computer with me. Would any other XP disc do, and would I still be able to get updates?
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Jarrod on 09-20-2008 at 12:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mkl
boot up Linux
only if you are confident with a linux operating system otherwise i recommend something like bart pe
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
quote:

Sorry, I'm using the Dodgy WDZ qiuck quote service  *cough*needs upgrading*cough* j/k
u didn't fix it though
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Jimcando on 09-27-2008 at 01:16 AM

Oh wow, I stop by after 2 years and find my thread is still going 'strong'.

By the way, I just formatted my drive and started again. Though I now have a brand new computer anyway. :D

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by dapimp944 on 10-22-2008 at 01:37 AM

The following BSOD is related to a corrupted HIVE file.  To fix this, boot into you OS using a boot disk such as ERD COMMANDER 2005.  Once booted to the OS, copy, rename and replace the 4 HIVE files.

SAM
SECURITY
SOFTWARE
SYSTEM

THIS WILL DEFINATELY FIX THE BSOD DUE TO "STOP: c000021a"

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME @ PIMPIN_EZ1@HOTMAIL.COM OR REPLY TO THIS FORUM FOR MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS.

I AM A NEWBIE TO THIS FORUM, BUT EVERYONE IS WELCOME!
:D

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Bootlebarth on 11-23-2008 at 06:12 PM

I'm new here but this is my problem too. I was maybe over zealous in clearing out an old XP Pro installation on my Inspiron Laptop. First ran intoNTLDR is missing then after reparing and  reinstalling from a Microsoft Backup on a net disc I land up with this BSOD.

I hope your method works I will try from the Repair Console which I can get from the DELL CD. I'm a tad worried because I cannot find a Dell Resources disc for this machine and all the drivers are on the Hard Drive "somewhere".

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 11-23-2008 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dapimp944
THIS WILL DEFINATELY FIX THE BSOD DUE TO "STOP: c000021a"

no it won't :p

quote:
Originally posted by Bootlebarth
I'm new here but this is my problem too. I was maybe over zealous in clearing out an old XP Pro installation on my Inspiron Laptop. First ran intoNTLDR is missing then after reparing and  reinstalling from a Microsoft Backup on a net disc I land up with this BSOD.

I hope your method works I will try from the Repair Console which I can get from the DELL CD. I'm a tad worried because I cannot find a Dell Resources disc for this machine and all the drivers are on the Hard Drive "somewhere".

lesson learned: don't do that.

who knows what damage you could have done, just reformat/repair with dell CD :p
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Bootlebarth on 11-23-2008 at 08:26 PM

Just in time - lucky tea time intervened. Thanks for the caution.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by nikko132 on 01-11-2009 at 05:41 AM

Im having the exact same problem but my computer is pretty much screwed up all i wanna do is find a way to wipe out the entire computer,
is there a way to do so?
im running a Toshiba Tecra
any help i dont wanna save anything just kill the computer and restart.
by the way im talking about the problem Jimcando had.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by coven08 on 02-26-2009 at 01:40 PM

I also get the message when i try to reinstall the system with the CD. Also when i start the computer it will just restart on it's own so i don't have access to any of the programs in there. This happened after I installed kapersky to delete a virus, it found a whole bunch of them and deleted all of them. So if anyone knows a way to fix this please post it. Thank you.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by coven08 on 02-27-2009 at 08:43 PM

How would i check if it made a dump file or not. B.T.W. I tried pressing the F8 to get "last good configuration" but the options didn't show up.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by djdannyp on 02-27-2009 at 08:50 PM

Look for the file

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by zs3889 on 02-28-2009 at 04:19 PM

Errr, so what's is the best solution for this error?

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x0000000)
The system has been shutdown.

Wow there.... what a happy bunch we are at this forum! by Hostile_R_Us on 03-02-2009 at 03:27 PM

First post but not n00b.

Mods: threads like this scare off n00bs. Who you trying to help - n00bs or the jumped up little tw@s who *think they* know it all anyway?

Anyway, onto topic: Got the same error as OP and for the record I don't have SP3 installed. Successfully boots at random so nothing to do with 'last known...'. Other issues include - device manager not working, AO'Hell' or IE not working, not shutting down or restarting even in safe mode and using msconfig... list goes on.

Not really seen an answer that hasn't been contradicted by someone else (you friendly lot) so even though this is not hardware related and therefore should be fixable I'm going to reinstall OS. Will post results if successful!

BTW: Kaspersky scanned clean but this is a customer’s PC and I still believe it may be result of a virus.

Peace love and little fluffy chicks out to n00bs!

EDIT: "--jumped up little tw@s--" Sorry, that doesn't count to everyone on this thread... looks like some are actually *trying* to help! ;)

Fixed.
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by coven08 on 03-09-2009 at 06:30 PM

Look for C:/Windows/minidump

When do I type that?

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by zjgto on 03-12-2009 at 07:23 AM

stop c000021a fatal system error
the windows logon process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (oxoooooooo 0x00000000)
the system is shut down

i get this messege when i try to log on to my computer  can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

RE: RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by coven08 on 03-12-2009 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
quote:
Originally posted by coven08

When do I type that?

Look for the folder titled 'minidump' in 'C:/Windows'

The files inside tell you what caused the errors.

I can't access my computer either cause it just restarts on it own when the wallpaper shows up.

Lots of other people solved this problem by changing RAM do you think it might work?
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by SANG5650 on 03-13-2009 at 08:29 PM

Hi,

I got similar error message and was spending tons of time googling through fixing it...

The fix was actually simple and i found it in my laptop manual.

I went through F11 during boot process and that FIXED MY PROBLEM. So thats it just press the shutdown button and hold F11 during startup. Windows will take control from there. Just follow instructions on the screen and you will be out of this problem.

What it does is, it runs the windows recovery procedure. This process WILL NOT DELETE YOUR DATA FILES. Only thing is softwares installed manually by you will be removed. But that was not a concern for me as I could always reinstall it.

Bye
Sangeetha

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Joshua on 03-14-2009 at 12:11 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

When do I type that?

I can't access my computer either cause it just restarts on it own when the wallpaper shows up.

Lots of other people solved this problem by changing RAM do you think it might work?
If the computer is low on ram, then it MAY work. But if it is another problem, it may not really work..
RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by whbonney on 03-15-2009 at 07:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zjgto
stop c000021a fatal system error
the windows logon process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (oxoooooooo 0x00000000)
the system is shut down

i get this messege when i try to log on to my computer  can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

hey, just had the EXACT same error and fixed it using some of the advice here in this thread,,,,(I use XP)

First, I started puter and pressed F2

Then I went into the section titled BOOT, and moved "CD" to the top so the puter would boot from the XP installation CD...I then made sure XP disk was inserted, and THen clicked F10 to save. 

Then follow these directions from this link previously provided above by someone else..The link is directions on removing XP Pack 3 which has been causing some headaches for people: 
   http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/unins...onsole/169701.html

Once done, u should be up and running,,,I helped me after days of researching.

Thanks for those who provided the info...saved me some headaches and a lot of needed files!!!!

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ubii on 03-19-2009 at 08:41 PM

I've got this same problem now and found this topic via yahoo search. I'm using someone else's computer to speak here.

Now, like an idiot, I installed a custom theme patcher (UX Theme Patcher by SP3 or w/e) and it screwed my whole pc, causing the whole c000021a fatal system error.

Again, like an idiot, I figured out that psapi.dll was the culprit file that needed to be dealt with, but instead of figuring out how to replace it with a properly functioning psapi.dll file, I deleted it. >_>..

My question is, how can I use the OS Recovery Console to add in a new psapi.dll to my c:\windows\system32\ directory?

I know the command, but I don't know what the location of the psapi.dll on the diskette is to copy it to c:\windows\system32...  ( i.e., copy [from disk psapi.dll] c:\windows\system32\ and press enter. )

...hopefully I make sense. o_O..  HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP ME .__., .. !

Thanks for reading!

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by cyberion1985 on 03-23-2009 at 08:41 AM

Hello every1 :D,

Well i couldn't keep still when I fixed this one so i decided to register and help you out (for windows XP SP 2 users only ;) )

So basically, it is possible to access the system in safe mode, and open the minidump file and find out which driver or file causes this blue screen "c000021a".

WHY AND HOW
===============================================
The faulty file is called "ntoskrnl.exe" and is part of the windows operating sytem. What happened is this: Basically, whenever you go online (Switching your pc on and it connects to the internet OR you plug in your cable/internet connection etc) the OS downloads updates from the internet and tells you later "updates ready for installation". Usually this goes fine, but sometimes it might cause problems. Sometimes updates clash with other software or are downloaded incorrectly due to internet network bandwidth instability or other issues that might cause the download to be corrupt when it download.

HOW TO FIX
1.) Firstly, start the machine in safe mode. To do this, start the PC up and keep pressing "F8" to open the "Advanced Boot up options" screen. Then select "Safe mode" from the list. Your pc should then start in safemode.

2.)When on the desktop after loading, navigate to
"C:\Windows\prefetch" and delete its entire contents.

3.)Navigate to your "C:\Windows\minidump" directory , change the view to "Details" , and sort the window by "Date Created" so that the recent minidump.dmp file is on top of the list. Then compare the dates of the minidump files and find the last one in the list that has the same "size" as the first one.

4.)Then, open your control panels and open "add and remove programs".

5.)Check the checkbox "Show updates".

6.)Scroll down to "Windows Upates" and find the entry/installation where the date installed is close to the creation date of the mindump files that you have observed in step 3.

7.)Uninstalled said update, there are likely more then 2 (I had to uninstall 12 updates) and confirm requests of system and remember to check the checkbox "Do not restart now" so that you dont have to restart every time when you uninstall one update.

8.)When you are done with all that uninstalling of the updates you will notice (or maybe not) that one installation will have included the "ntoskrnl.exe" file removal which should indicate to you already that you have won :D

9.)Navigate back into "C:\Windows\Minidump" and delete all the samesized minidump files exept one ,because they contain the same info on the same file/issue.

10.)Now, restart your machine BUT use "F8" again to get to the "Advanced options" like in step 1 with the only difference being that NOW you select "last known good configeration", and let the machine boot in like that now :D

PREVENTION AND NOT-HAPPEN-AGAIN
Well the updates as said cause the problem. If you do manual update from the windows update site, it should work fine OR have a CD that already has an updated service pack 3 or 2 that you need.

RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by coven08 on 03-24-2009 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joshua
quote:
quote:
quote:

When do I type that?

If the computer is low on ram, then it MAY work. But if it is another problem, it may not really work..

My RAM is 512 MB.
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by coven08 on 03-26-2009 at 06:15 PM

BTW I got the fatal system error problem because of a virus, so do you know if changing the RAM might work.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by henrysmom on 04-21-2009 at 04:48 AM

is there anything you can do if you cannot get into command prompt to type things in? unfortunately my cd drive is not working so i assume i'll need to get an external one to fix this.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Alex K on 04-21-2009 at 07:06 PM

Hi everyone.
c000021a error can be anything you just can imagine:  hardware, software, driver, update, you name it. In my case it was update “Lela” for Linksys Wireless-G Router WRT54G2 “Linksys EasyLink Advisor”. There is no universal solution to solve this problem. Honestly, this is real pain in the ass. Good luck.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by eveve on 06-22-2009 at 10:50 PM

Dear All,
I am having the same more or less problem with the rest of the people here. When booting to windows xp I get a blue screen and a message like this
STOP: c000021a (Fatal System error)
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x0053ec24)
The system has been shut down.

I tried using the safe mode and removing the last program Microsoft SQL Express 2005 server that I've installed and after which I was getting this message but without any success. The system immediately crashes and i get the same blue screen.
People do you have any ideas of what i could do to fix this???
It's kind of urgent so I would appreciate any quick responses.
thank you all again
eveve

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 06-22-2009 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alex K
Hi everyone.
c000021a error can be anything you just can imagine:  hardware, software, driver, update, you name it. In my case it was update “Lela” for Linksys Wireless-G Router WRT54G2 “Linksys EasyLink Advisor”. There is no universal solution to solve this problem. Honestly, this is real pain in the ass. Good luck.

YES. This post is exactly correct. If you got here through google, don't bother, because nobody here is going to be able to fix your problem. Errors like this are almost impossible to diagnose without physical access to your computer.

There are a few general things you can try, though:

- Unplug every non-essential device plugged into your computer (e.g., leave only the screen and power cables connected)

- Download memtest+ on another computer, copy it to a floppy disk, USB drive or CD, and run it on your computer

- Repair windows. If it still isn't working, reformat windows completely. If you can't even get into windows setup, erase your hard drive with a utility like the gparted live cd and then try.

- Take off your computer's case, and pop out the CMOS battery (watch battery) for 30-60 seconds, and put it back in. Then try again.

- Take off your computer's case, and remove any non-essential expansion cards. Take out all the RAM but one stick. unplug any CD/DVD drives or hard drives, other than the ones you're using to install windows.

- Throw out your computer and get a new one :p
RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by eveve on 06-23-2009 at 06:57 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alex K
Hi everyone.

YES. This post is exactly correct. If you got here through google, don't bother, because nobody here is going to be able to fix your problem. Errors like this are almost impossible to diagnose without physical access to your computer.

There are a few general things you can try, though:

- Unplug every non-essential device plugged into your computer (e.g., leave only the screen and power cables connected)

- Download memtest+ on another computer, copy it to a floppy disk, USB drive or CD, and run it on your computer

- Repair windows. If it still isn't working, reformat windows completely. If you can't even get into windows setup, erase your hard drive with a utility like the gparted live cd and then try.

- Take off your computer's case, and pop out the CMOS battery (watch battery) for 30-60 seconds, and put it back in. Then try again.

- Take off your computer's case, and remove any non-essential expansion cards. Take out all the RAM but one stick. unplug any CD/DVD drives or hard drives, other than the ones you're using to install windows.

- Throw out your computer and get a new one :p

I'll try repairing windows first and then if that doesn't work I'll do the formatting..... Let's hope that I won't need to go to the last solution:P
Let you all,
Thank you
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by aaff12 on 08-06-2009 at 09:14 PM

hello all i have a problem with my laptop...i log on to my laptop it showes up my wall paper my icon but not my menu bar the it comes up a blue screen saying stuff

:(

please help me

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by C.H.A.O.S on 08-15-2009 at 03:38 PM

Sorry but I have exhausted all of the options and it is DEFINETELY NOT A MEMORY BLOCK!!! this has to be a Driver Problem or a Windows Software Problem in a system32 file that is corrupted or something to that effect...anyway grab the windows disk and start all over again or buy a new driver its either one or the other dont blame your memory and once u have peformed the system recovery try to google the recommended software for preventing further fatal system errors...VISTA is flawed and upgrading your computer for better gaming peformance doesnt always pay off when u have VISTA so make sure to purchase the neccesary software or buy a new motherboard of better calibre! What I will do is buy this Cure Software I was surfing through on google and do my research on preventing further Fatal System Errors like this one as it is probably one of the worst attacks anyone could suffer and there really is no way around it so Wipe your Puter and start again and if u have wiped it and started again and still cant login then its your Hard Drive! buy a New One Get a Windows disc and start back at square one.

ISSUE: C000021A FATAL SYSTEM ERROR

why?: Vista is Flawed,Virus Attack,Malware,Spyware,Hard Drive is Stuffed,accidentally deleting important files i.e - the advanced options in an attempt to enhance gaming peformance.

Solution: Buy a new Hard Drive and load Windows on it. (unless you think it isn't your hard drive then good luck but it most likely is)

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by ShawnZ on 08-15-2009 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by C.H.A.O.S
but it most likely is

err, what? it most likely isn't...
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by turtlebox on 08-17-2009 at 05:50 AM

Okay , i'm on board this one too now.

My probs started with Computer crashing and saying it could not find user32.dll

I reinstalled XP Recovery, then needed to find a sys file for the wireless found it on C: and continued.

My Compp crashes when as it loads or finishes loading the background  programs.

The Desktop is white unlike what I have it set to.

It starts okay in safe mode, but that doesnt help me as I cant access Outlook to back it up to start allover again.

So I'm between a rock and a very hard place

Help Please

Further more, the Laptop is making a glug noise now and again

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by RaceProUK on 08-26-2009 at 12:18 PM

Sounds like the wireless driver is corrupt. Try installing a fresh copy from then maker's website in Safe Mode (obviously you'll need to download on another PC ;))

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by GatorRay on 10-24-2009 at 04:37 PM

Im no computer expert but none of the above mentioned fixes actually worked. What worked for me is below. Hope this helps someone, it worked for me.

I just booted in safe mode to the command prompt and picked a restore date before I downloaded the windows updates. Then I typed in the command below and followed the prompts.

Use the System Restore process
Note Before you use System Rest
ore, make sure that you have restarted the computer at least one time after you installed Windows XP SP3. By restarting the computer, you allow for any remaining servicing processes to finish.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Copy and then paste the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
Click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by lance637 on 11-06-2009 at 06:59 PM

I had the same problem.

It was so bad that I was not able to boot into windows at all. 
Attempts to so a system restore from the Vista disc failed citing unknown errors.
After changing the bios setting (ASUS M2N SLI MB) to not restart on error, I did the following.

1.  Booted from VISTA CD, allowed it to fail restore and selected "command prompt"
2.  CD \Windows\System32\Config [enter]
3.  move Software Software.bad [enter]
4.  move Regback\Software [enter]
5.  exit [enter]
6.  reboot.
7.  updated bios
8.  Now the system restore worked.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by cpguru21 on 12-11-2009 at 12:03 AM

Just my 2 cents ;)

In my situation working on a customers laptop....most deffinately the hard drive.  Will remove from machine and verify of course, but the "ear" test tells me something mechanical going on...then you hear the hd spin down (off) right before blue screen.

as an FYI to anybody looking for solutions to this problem, your situation may be related to someone on this post, or may not.

With most windows errors, they are a starting point to trouble shoot from.  just look at all the people who had different resolutions to the problem.

in my case, recommend to customer to replace hard drive (2 days out of warranty) and re-install.  And be patient with those that are trying to help ;-)

pce

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by amarinoni68 on 02-14-2010 at 01:33 PM

Hi Stigmata,

I´m in Brussels and I have to restore my vaio VGN series laptop operating system.

I bought the laptop in the US and I didn´t ask for the operating system cd

Do you know where I can quickly buy it in Brussels?

Many thanks.

andrea[/size]

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Chrissy on 02-14-2010 at 02:10 PM

Can you boot into windows?

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Ssor on 02-24-2010 at 11:57 PM

Hi,
I hope this thread is still going.

Recently my old laptop was running slow so thought I'd re-install the OS to give it a clear out.

Dell Inspiron 8600
Windows XP SP3
1.5 Gig RAM

Anyway during the installation the system crashed with a stop c000021a fatal error. I then tried Repair, or Restore to previous working version and seems to get it back so I could login.

When I log into the system it brings up my splash page and then a popup to say that I have to activate windows. I select yes and the system goes to load, but then crashes with a stop:c000021a fatal again.

I booted in safe mode to command prompt and installed KB94650 hotfix and IE8 as I'd seen post that talk about a SP3 clash. Reboot ... system crashes at the same point.

Crash is
stop:c000021a (fatal system error) then some text about windows subsystem terminating an then 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3 ... which is always the same and then different sets of numbers 0x006cf28c or 0x0055f28c)

Suggestions welcome please

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by beck.je on 04-22-2010 at 06:07 PM

I ended up helping a user just this morning with this same problem by doing a Microsoft System Restore through the F8 "Repair my Computer" option. 
The alternative option I have seen is to try (if you are able to boot into windows) an SFC /scannow.  This does find and fix the .dll problems that are related to most types of windows installations. 

The problem with this error, however, is that people are having the same error code with multiple causes and multiple fixes being posted.  I would recommend having the new problems in alternative posts to further assist the ones that are not pertaining to the original exact problem.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by mkp0203 on 05-10-2010 at 02:52 AM

I have received the "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error!  I am very stressed right now. I own a Compaq equipped with Windows Vista (Home edition I think?) I was using the internet when my browser crashed, and when I went to send in the report for the crashed browser, it failed. And my computer started acting very slow. I tried a few things, but got fed up with the snail like pace, and just turned the computer off. When I turned it back on, I got the screen where I pressed, "Start Windows Normally," and when I did this, it went to a blue screen and started to "Repair" the system, and said it could take over an hour... I am thinking this whole time that I have a horrible virus. So in thinking that my computer was being searched and destroyed during this "Repair" operation, I turned the computer off and back on again. This time, it brought me to the blue error screen saying "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error!.... I am not a computer expert, so I will not understand all the complex computer lingo out there. What can be done to fix this problem? Someone please help!! :|

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by younggeeza on 09-01-2010 at 04:59 AM

Hi there, first post here. I'm on XP Home and everything was working fine until i contracted a virus. The virus turned up as win32/patched.fm on AVG free but it refused to clean it.

In the end i got fed up of the constant irritations from avg and restarted the computer in safe mode. I ran a scan and it left me with the impression that it'd cleaned it all out.

When i restarted my computer from safe mode however...would get up to just before booting windows and then the computer would simply restart and this would go on and on and on and on.

I cut the cycle and told the computer to stop restarting on fatal error and the message i got was as quoted.

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The systenm has been shut down.

Help please :(

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by bugs on 09-12-2010 at 09:36 PM

I had this error and tried several suggestions to correct it until I was advised to try http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/rem...my-security-shield. It seems I had picked up malware. I downloaded their program, cleared the malware and reinstalled host file exactly as they directed. And hey presto the problem with coooo21a had gone.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Darkmatrix on 10-04-2010 at 03:43 AM

Hey everyone. Running windows xp pro. Having the same fatal error as everyone else but just want to make one thing clear, I get the error no matter what I do. F8, all the options shuts down the comp. Xp disc won't load all the way. It stops shortly after the f6 choice. Have very important pics on the computer so I'm against wiping it. Even if I could. Someone must know a trick or two here. Contacted a win32 virus the night before ran a lot of programs to try and rid myself of it and I think it changed a registry value. Any help would be great. But again to review f8,safe mode, xp disc don't work so please don't advise with any of those options. It's all I've read in the last day a lot of contradicting statements. Lol. Thank you kindly. Cheers,

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by kp314 on 10-10-2010 at 12:21 PM

Restoring the registry fixed my c000021a error.

I have Vista and I was also getting the c000021a error. I could not boot into Windows via any method without it rebooting. Trying Safemode would show crcdisk.sys as the last item and then it would reboot as well. I had to hit F8 at startup and choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure" to see the c000021a error. Attempts via a Vista Recovery Console using "chkdsk C: /f /r" failed to fix it. System restore via the Vista Recovery Console failed to complete.

OK now onto what ended up allowing me to boot back up. It ended up being a restore of the registry. I had to backup and then replace DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, and SYSTEM in C:\Windows\System32\config with files of the same name in C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack. Per the below Microsoft article for XP, to do this for XP you have to copy the files from C:\Windows\repair instead.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

The article said to NOT do this if you have an OEM PC, but I did it anyways so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK if you have an OEM PC.

You will need to get to a Recovery Console for your OS to do this or if you have access to a working computer you can download a live Linux distribution like Ubuntu to access your C: drive and to rename and copy the files. I used Linux myself. If this doesn't work you can always undo it by restoring the files you backed up if need be. System Restore, which was failing from the Vista Recovery Console before the registry restore, worked from within Vista after the registry restore but the c000021a returned so I re-restored the registry again to get back in. I'll be sticking with the current registry. I'm just happy I didn't have to format and reload Vista. Hope this helps.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by DramAlexe on 03-15-2011 at 12:48 AM

Hi everyone, truth be told, I think perhaps the abject panic in my soul is preventing me from seeing the solution to my problem. You all seem pretty computer savvy, and I'm not. But I believe I can fix this problem myself if I just know what to do. I'm unemployed now, I don't have money to spend on this and I need my PC to look for a job. Please help me.

Here's the error message:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

Here's what happened:
We've upgraded to hi-speed Internet and phone. I installed the hi-speed modem to the pc in the den on Tues. I installed the Netgear router on Wed. I installed the Netgear wireless adapter for my bedroom pc (the BSOD one) on Friday. I had been offline for about a week, so Windows had 7 updates to install when I shut down. No problems. Sunday I tried to download a file and got a message that I needed to upgrade to Windows Media Player 9. I installed the upgrade. I allowed the program to restart my Dell, and that's when I got the BSOD.

I can't boot up at all. Not in safe mode, not with the last good configuration, not no way, not no how. I have a Dell, so I don't have XP discs. Dell's Diagnostics (with and without the CD) don't work. I downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD on the den's computer, that won't work. I was planning to buy PowerSuite Golden, but it had horrible customer reviews. I called tech support for System Mechanic premium to see if it would boot up my computer, because their website says it will, the tech says it will not. I'm running XP Home, but we have XP Pro on the computer I'm at now, and I do have the discs for that. I'm not sure what to try next, but I'm very good at following instructions, just throw 'em at me.

Thanks!

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by DramAlexe on 03-15-2011 at 11:12 PM

I can't log in with command prompt. I feel like the best solution may be a boot disk, but Ultimate Boot didn't work, and I don't know any others.

RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by nimicitor on 03-18-2011 at 06:56 PM

Well the first thing you need to do is backup your data, either by putting your hard drive in another computer as a slave or by using a Linux live CD and a USB stick\removable HDD.

From Linux you will be able to look in your computers hard drive and see if there are any DMP files which are usually left with BSOD.

In Windows 7 you can find it at: 'C:\Windows\Minidump' XP should be the same.

If you have access to another Windows computer then copy these files to a USB stick and use a program like WhoCrashed and\or BlueScreenView to read these files to see what is causing your problems.
You could also follow this guide but you might find it confusing depending on your level of experience with computers.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by MQSS on 06-09-2011 at 07:30 PM

HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE!!!!

Here is the problem I am working on an HP Pavilion dv1000 Laptop running windows xp pro. When the laptop boots I get the following error

Stop: c000021a { Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000012f (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shutdown.

natural one would try to load last known good configuration to see if you get any results, but no success there. i have tried safe mood and I get the same error. I looked into the Microsoft so called knowledge base, but it assumes you are able to get into the system which I am not able to do. I can't run repair from the XP CD because for some strange reason, I am unable to log in under the administrator. I have tried using ERD commander to change the password but I am getting no where with that. So I decided to try and replace the system32/config files. Upon doing that, the pc now just goes through a reboot instead of staying on the BSOD stop:c000021a.  I am completely stuck and I don't have an extra license to I can install the OS all over again. I need help seriously I am two seconds from throwing the pc away. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

I have searched over the web, but I have not found anything that will help

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by sgayres on 07-24-2011 at 05:39 PM

OK... I didn't go through the whole thread, but I had the same blue-screen error when I tried to reinstall Windows by accessing the recovery partition on a Gateway running XP MCE.

Suspecting memory error, I did a shutdown removed all the RAM (4x512) and installed one 512 stick of known good RAM.  Recovery started successfully and the problem was isolated to a original stick of bad RAM.

So before troubleshooting software on a C000021a blue-screen, try substituting RAM modules.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by MoeCat on 08-24-2011 at 07:01 PM

If anyone is still receiving this error you can try this solution, it worked for me.

RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by kara on 10-03-2011 at 07:36 AM

Here is the problem I am working on an pc with windows xp pro. every 2 or 3 days  I get the following error

Stop: c000021a { Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3   0x005aed04). The system has been shutdown.
And then I have to press reset button and repeat my work.
Pls help me:$:$

RE: RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by JDarwein on 11-10-2011 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kara
Here is the problem I am working on an pc with windows xp pro. every 2 or 3 days  I get the following error

Stop: c000021a { Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3   0x005aed04). The system has been shutdown.
And then I have to press reset button and repeat my work.
Pls help me:$:$

there is a error in memory block c000021a
reinstall the operating  system
RE: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! by Mrchava on 03-14-2012 at 06:30 PM

Dudes, i had the same problem, I searched online and I found a blog posting from Charles white, my problem was a computer with viruses, I used avast to clean them and did a reboot clean, my mistake was to make the settings to erase the virus files instead of repairing them or moving them to quarantine, so I messed up windows and couldn't even get in safe mode, I tried to repair it from the xp install disk, after the first reboot I got the blue screen of death, and I was all frustrated, I was not comfortable using the repair console and writing down commands but I still took the chance, this guy posted the way to repair your xp and it worked, I read 9 pages of this blog here without a solution until I tried Charles white's solution, it worked for me, and I hope it works for you, here is the link:
http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/vie...cle.jsp?id=8658-0#

I hope it works for you too!
Sal