Shoutbox

webcam port changing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: webcam port changing (/showthread.php?tid=66342)

webcam port changing by Trunk_z on 09-16-2006 at 11:06 PM

Searched the internet, and the forum for hours with no luck.

is there any way to change the ports that WLM uses for webcam?

as i understand its a random port within a range...

here is the situation... uni has blocked some ports, and by changing the port that the webcam uses i should be able to use it again.

any help would be much appriciated

Regards,
Chris

RE: webcam port changing by Jarrod on 09-17-2006 at 05:08 AM

i got a thought it might now work but it's worth a shot. i'm assuming you want to do this because your webcam connects to a firewire  port or usb port and msn doesn't like the one that it connects to
am i right?

tell me the port on your camera and the port msn wants to use and i'll try think of something

unless some1 else knows
i think port emulating might not work

RE: RE: webcam port changing by Vilkku on 09-17-2006 at 07:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
i got a thought it might now work but it's worth a shot. i'm assuming you want to do this because your webcam connects to a firewire  port or usb port and msn doesn't like the one that it connects to
am i right?

tell me the port on your camera and the port msn wants to use and i'll try think of something

unless some1 else knows
i think port emulating might not work

No, he means the port to the Internet, and his university firewall is blocking the ports he need for the webcam functions over MSN to work. I haven't heard about this being possible, and I doubt it is. Not a way build into MSN at least afaik.
RE: webcam port changing by Jarrod on 09-17-2006 at 07:46 AM

oh opps sorry guys i've heard of port redirecting somewhere i read about how to do that although u might need a third party program

RE: webcam port changing by Trunk_z on 09-17-2006 at 10:42 AM

thanks for the replies.

Yeah, i did mean the ports over the internet, sorry should have been clearer.

Using a 3rd party program isnt a problem.... i was looking into http tunnelers, but didnt get very far. does anyone think they might do the trick?

RE: webcam port changing by Jarrod on 09-17-2006 at 11:11 AM

i'll look in to it and get bak to u but it was my prob i didn't read the whole post propley

RE: webcam port changing by Trunk_z on 09-17-2006 at 01:55 PM

:) why thankyou. lol, ill fiddle around too... on the off chance i find anything

RE: webcam port changing by Trunk_z on 09-21-2006 at 03:19 PM

just fyi , gave up and skype'd it

RE: webcam port changing by Jarrod on 10-04-2006 at 07:25 AM

i know udon't need it now but i worked out how to do it you'd probally get shot by your uni though i found the port redirect but it is a feature in a trojan (i won't mention the name. ) they are well known trojans and get shot at by any working av so you probally wouldn't be anygood unless you could authenticate it's existance.

RE: webcam port changing by rav0 on 10-04-2006 at 01:24 PM

FYI, Yahoo! Messenger will work fully even from behind a firewall ;).

RE: webcam port changing by Trunk_z on 10-04-2006 at 03:14 PM

indeed... a trojan i think the uni would pick up on.

Yahoo i know does work through firewalls.. however, i dont like it. lol. And i was using skype at the same time as msn anyways :)

Ty for the replies