Shoutbox

[Request] Reply Notification - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Request] Reply Notification (/showthread.php?tid=66479)

[Request] Reply Notification by Spunky on 09-20-2006 at 08:45 PM

This is probably impossible (or really hard anyway...), but I'm thinking of a script that can detect when a reply has been posted to a thread and displays a toast message that links directly to the post. I don't like the fact the when the topic subscriptions email you as it means either wasting time checking emails, or just coming onto the forum and searching each topic for new posts.

If it can be made, it should be possible to have a list of "Watched Topics". It's just an idea, hopefully it's possible :D

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by Jimbo on 09-20-2006 at 08:49 PM

fantastic idea, i could really do with this
Also, maybe an always on top window that flashed a different colour for different threas you set

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by Spunky on 09-20-2006 at 09:00 PM

I think it'd also be a good idea because it could be adapted to work with LOADS of other forums using the same system... I'm gonna wait for one of the boffins to come and say whether it can be done before I get my hopes up though :p

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by NanaFreak on 09-20-2006 at 09:06 PM

ok im not too big on the scripting ladder but my ideas would be it would be very very very hard without an rss feed.

but i love the idea for it

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by Spunky on 09-20-2006 at 09:08 PM

I know it's possible to read through the source code of a HTML page, so if we could use that and then search for the tid variable and possibly post ID's it might be possible, just frickin hard

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by NanaFreak on 09-20-2006 at 09:10 PM

yes i never thought of that. but still dont get your hope up till a big person like matty comes here because i coulld be wrong :P

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by IamFroggy on 09-20-2006 at 09:13 PM

naw this would be pretty easy,using scraping techniques i could nock one up in no time, but it would only work on individual systems, and only those that had not been modded to much.mind you, you could simply just watch for page size changes couldnt you, that would be really easy

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by Spunky on 09-20-2006 at 09:14 PM

Looks like you'd better make a start then ;) jk

RE: RE: [Request] Reply Notification by IamFroggy on 09-20-2006 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Looks like you'd better make a start then ;) jk

He i could write the script but i hate designing the ui and all the surrounding functions. Tell you what i'll make it and have it done by the weekend, a general watcher of urls you add to a list, is that going to be enough?

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by NanaFreak on 09-20-2006 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by IamFroggy
He i could write the script but i hate designing the ui and all the surrounding functions. Tell you what i'll make it and have it done by the weekend, a general watcher of urls you add to a list, is that going to be enough?
i can make the ui for you if you want seeing as ilike making them
RE: RE: [Request] Reply Notification by IamFroggy on 09-20-2006 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Jay
quote:
i can make the ui for you if you want seeing as ilike making them

Yeah, but the scripting behind em is what im talking about, oodles of functions just to make an interesting theory user friendly heh
RE: [Request] Reply Notification by NanaFreak on 09-20-2006 at 09:28 PM

i can do that too, i have had lots of experence with windows (i make them all the time).

if you make the function to do it i will add the config window after

i made windows for gradient, wlm preview box, and others [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

RE: RE: [Request] Reply Notification by IamFroggy on 09-20-2006 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Jay
i can do that too, i have had lots of experence with windows (i make them all the time).

if you make the function to do it i will add the config window after

i made windows for gradient, wlm preview box, and others [Image: msn_tongue.gif]

ok that sounds great , i will make the watcher, i'll make either a url watcher ... hmm actually a forum watcher might be better.

How about you make 3 windows, an about window, a main settings window with add topic, ok and cancel buttons and a big square list pane. when you click on add another small dialog should open letting the user enter a url which will be added to the list box.

i will add code to translate the url to a topic title and forum system. mybb will be supported as proof of concept, the phpbb then others.

50/50 credits Programing by froggy ui by jay-jay, deal?
RE: [Request] Reply Notification by Spunky on 09-20-2006 at 10:45 PM

quote:
50/50 credits Programing by froggy ui by jay-jay, deal?

A-hem! lol I don't mind coding stuff as well, I do have SOME experience with scripts too y'know ;) Be kind interesting if I could help with anything... I at least wanna be a tester :p

EDIT: Spelling...grrr!
RE: [Request] Reply Notification by NanaFreak on 09-21-2006 at 01:04 AM

quote:
ok that sounds great , i will make the watcher, i'll make either a url watcher ... hmm actually a forum watcher might be better.

How about you make 3 windows, an about window, a main settings window with add topic, ok and cancel buttons and a big square list pane. when you click on add another small dialog should open letting the user enter a url which will be added to the list box.

i will add code to translate the url to a topic title and forum system. mybb will be supported as proof of concept, the phpbb then others.
yep ok but i have now got 3 scripts i am doing :P yay this holidays is gonna be good

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
A-hem! lol I don't mind coding stuff as well, I do have SOME experience with scripts too y'know  Be kind interesting if I could help with anything... I at least wanna be a tester
yes sure you can script with us the more the merier :P but i would get more coz i am good at windows and you guys hate em :P

oh and iamfroggy add me to msn so its easier to talk about it (wont be on for 4 hours though)
RE: [Request] Reply Notification by CookieRevised on 09-21-2006 at 09:44 AM

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

Be extremely carefull with such scripts. In fact, such stuff has been made in the past (Plus!3) and the forum admins did not liked it since it creates more overhead with that constant polling of threads.

Rather make a script which checks your email for new forum notification mails. Benefits:
- you don't need to login to the forum
- the forum will not detect another 'guest'
- you can also see updates in threads which guest have no access to
- the forum isn't bombarded with requests (which WILL happen when people use such a script)
- you have all the info you need in the email already: new post id (which you will NOT have when you simply poll threads as more posts may have posted before your script detects them), the name of the poster, the thread topic, etc...

Again, please don't make a script which directly polls threads (untill further notice of an admin).

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by MicroWay on 09-22-2006 at 12:33 AM

I aggre, with you, Cookie.
But there isn't a way do make the script asks for a login to start working or to make it, if not logged, more "selective"???

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by deAd on 09-22-2006 at 12:44 AM

Even if the script logs into the forum, it doesn't solve all of the list items.

quote:
- the forum isn't bombarded with requests (which WILL happen when people use such a script)
- you have all the info you need in the email already: new post id (which you will NOT have when you simply poll threads as more posts may have posted before your script detects them), the name of the poster, the thread topic, etc...

There are also other things...
RE: RE: [Request] Reply Notification by IamFroggy on 09-22-2006 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
!!! IMPORTANT !!!

Be extremely carefull with such scripts. In fact, such stuff has been made in the past (Plus!3) and the forum admins did not liked it since it creates more overhead with that constant polling of threads.

Rather make a script which checks your email for new forum notification mails. Benefits:
- you don't need to login to the forum
- the forum will not detect another 'guest'
- you can also see updates in threads which guest have no access to

Again, please don't make a script which directly polls threads (untill further notice of an admin).

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

:) I hear you i'm a senior web guy so such considerations are not lost on me, I was going to set the time frequency to be a minimum of 15 minutes say, and it would do just one scrape, if you wanted a frequency greater than that it would mean you were activly activating in the topic and as such would have it open in your browser anyway :)

At 15 minutes that would be ok , I mean when users are actually checking topics they quite often refresh every minute or so , so  the script would NOT be putting any stress on the server.

If the user edits the frequency, I cant be held to blame , look at virus writers, you cant blame the makers of c compilers or such for the code users make eh?

This script would not be polling this forum by default , but any forum, no more harmful by default that browsing in a browser, which in itself anyone is entitled to do :)
RE: [Request] Reply Notification by CookieRevised on 09-23-2006 at 06:48 PM

I hear you... though in one thing you are wrong though:

quote:
If the user edits the frequency, I cant be held to blame , look at virus writers, you cant blame the makers of c compilers or such for the code users make eh?
that comparisson is faulty.

Nope, we can't blame the compiler creators (aka scripting engine), we wont do that either. We blame the virus creators (aka the scripters)....

If you want to use such a comparisson then it should be: you are the programmer (the virus writer) using a scripting engine (the c compiler) and you can be blamed for the script (the virus) you created by the admins of this forum (the companies that get damage by the virus).

;)
RE: [Request] Reply Notification by duck! on 09-23-2006 at 06:54 PM

use rss reader and http://shoutbox.menthix.net/backend.php?get=latestthreads < thats threads though not posts in the thread

RE: [Request] Reply Notification by CookieRevised on 09-23-2006 at 07:04 PM

and there is also still  http://shoutbox.menthix.net/tab/

RE: RE: [Request] Reply Notification by IamFroggy on 09-24-2006 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I hear you... though in one thing you are wrong though:
quote:
that comparisson is faulty.

Nope, we can't blame the compiler creators (aka scripting engine), we wont do that either. We blame the virus creators (aka the scripters)....

If you want to use such a comparisson then it should be: you are the programmer (the virus writer) using a scripting engine (the c compiler) and you can be blamed for the script (the virus) you created by the admins of this forum (the companies that get damage by the virus).

;)

:) AW well , that to is faulty as my intention as said was to set the interval  to some harmless frequency , so as such the script I would make would not be harmful in itself, but would have the potential to be harmful.

Mind you I can be doing without  winding people up the wrong way or causing  trouble ;)

I'd either not make it , or maybe I'd put the scraping  functions and frequency limiters  in a dll somehow

Polling a mail address is a useful idea , but not robust as I would like for general use  on forum sites that don't  offer that sort of functionality.
RE: RE: RE: [Request] Reply Notification by CookieRevised on 09-24-2006 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Polling a mail address is a useful idea , but not robust as I would like for general use  on forum sites that don't  offer that sort of functionality.
very true... though, I think a script which polls the user's email address would be very usefull for even only these forums.

Not to mention that once you have such a script it would be extremely easy to adapt it so it can be used for other forums. Can even be done within a nice GUI.

(at least, I definatly would use it // in fact, I had the very same idea and it is on my todo list for a very long time already (almost as long as the first release of Plus!Live, thus long before this thread was created... but I'm too lazy to even start working on it :p)