Shoutbox

Which numbers do you use? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Which numbers do you use? (/showthread.php?tid=66505)

Which numbers do you use? by user27089 on 09-21-2006 at 04:48 PM

So, which numbers do you use, the horizontal ones across the top of the keyboard or the numpad?

Personally, I use the numpad for everything, it's just easier :p

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Plik on 09-21-2006 at 04:50 PM

Horizontal pad, but only because my laptop doesn't have  built in numpad :P

RE: Which numbers do you use? by J.J on 09-21-2006 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik

Same here...but i guess I would still use the horizontal pad because I'm used to it :P
RE: Which numbers do you use? by WDZ on 09-21-2006 at 04:56 PM

I use both... depends on the application... :p

RE: Which numbers do you use? by user27089 on 09-21-2006 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I use both... depends on the application... :p

For example?

I can't use the horizontal one anymore, I find it extremely difficult, whereas with the numpad it's like dum-dee-dum and the number is in :s.

I use the horizontal keypad sometimes though, like on laptops.
RE: Which numbers do you use? by Eljay on 09-21-2006 at 05:05 PM

horizontal pad, numpad is way too far away from WASD to be of any use for gaming :P

RE: Which numbers do you use? by duck! on 09-21-2006 at 05:06 PM

i gotta go for horzontal because the on on the laptop is a fn so i gotta old the fn key and the number but horzonaltal is just easier for me

RE: Which numbers do you use? by user27089 on 09-21-2006 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
horizontal pad, numpad is way too far away from WASD to be of any use for gaming :P

Well obviously, that's an exception that I was talking about.
RE: Which numbers do you use? by WDZ on 09-21-2006 at 05:06 PM

Well, if I'm just typing a regular message like a forum post, I use the horizontal number keys. I use the numpad when I'm entering lots of numbers (into a spreadsheet or something), or when it's more convenient (my hand is closer). :P

RE: Which numbers do you use? by MeEtc on 09-21-2006 at 05:07 PM

the pad. just easier. I seem to have made the results so far 50/50

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Ezra on 09-21-2006 at 05:08 PM

Depends, for just 1 or 2 numbers I use the horizontal bar, but for big numbers, like 158876245892 I use the numpad. Horizontal bar is just closer and faster for small numbers, but the numpad is faster and easier for large numbers.

RE: Which numbers do you use? by vaccination on 09-21-2006 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Well, if I'm just typing a regular message like a forum post, I use the horizontal number keys. I use the numpad when I'm entering lots of numbers (into a spreadsheet or something), or when it's more convenient (my hand is closer). :P

Same as me really :P
RE: Which numbers do you use? by Matti on 09-21-2006 at 05:15 PM

Crap... can't undo my vote. :dodgy:
I'm using my NumPad too, it's just lots easier. :D

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Thor on 09-21-2006 at 05:22 PM

Usually NumPad but when the conditions are right, it's the horizontal pad that I use. :D

RE: Which numbers do you use? by haydos on 09-21-2006 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Exactly the same here...
RE: Which numbers do you use? by Kenji on 09-21-2006 at 05:51 PM

I cant use the horizontal one, i dunno why but i just cant, i can type faster on the num pad thabn i can at normal typing...

and i typed most of this while watching the tv at the same time :O :|

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Lourix on 09-21-2006 at 06:03 PM

I use the Horizontal pad the most because I find it easier.

RE: Which numbers do you use? by saralk on 09-21-2006 at 06:19 PM

If I am typing a message, and the number is fairly short, then i'll use the horizontal numberpad because its nearer to where my fingers are and the number won't take that long to enter. However, if I am typing in a phone number, or using Excel or something, i'll use the numpad.

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Zahid™ on 09-21-2006 at 06:21 PM

Most of the time Horizontal Pad but sometimes i use the Numpad.

RE: Which numbers do you use? by CookieRevised on 09-21-2006 at 06:23 PM

I think the poll should be way more interesting (and a trend will be seen) if it was:

1) I have a numpad // I mostly type (almost) blindly and/or with 10 fingers // I use the horizontal numbers the most

2) I have a numpad // I mostly type (almost) blindly and/or with 10 fingers // I use the numpad the most

3) I have a numpad // I type with only a few fingers // I use the horizontal numbers the most

4) I have a numpad // I type with only a few fingers // I use the numpad the most

5) I do not have a numpad // I mostly type (almost) blindly and/or with 10 fingers

6) I do not have a numpad // I type with only a few fingers

:p

PS: I almost never ever use the horizontal keys (and I curse a lot when I'm using a laptop)

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Lourix on 09-21-2006 at 06:28 PM

Thats a brill idea :)

RE: Which numbers do you use? by NiteMare on 09-21-2006 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I think the poll should be way more interesting (and a trend will be seen) if it was:

1) I have a numpad // I mostly type (almost) blindly and/or with 10 fingers // I use the horizontal numbers the most

2) I have a numpad // I mostly type (almost) blindly and/or with 10 fingers // I use the numpad the most

3) I have a numpad // I type with only a few fingers // I use the horizontal numbers the most

4) I have a numpad // I type with only a few fingers // I use the numpad the most

5) I do not have a numpad // I mostly type (almost) blindly and/or with 10 fingers

7) I have a numpad // i let my fingers deside what to use

RE: Which numbers do you use? by andrewdodd13 on 09-21-2006 at 06:59 PM

Numpad ftw. I only ever use the horizontals for strat games and !"£$%^&*() ofc :).

I reckon that if people had three hands then they'd use numpad a lot more... two hands on the keys and one on the numpad.

Also, if I'm programming stuff like $var == 0 then I use the horizontal, it's waaay closer :).

RE: Which numbers do you use? by user27089 on 09-21-2006 at 07:01 PM

quote:

PS: I almost never ever use the horizontal keys (and I curse a lot when I'm using a laptop)

There are too many choices for that, it's either yes or no :p.
RE: Which numbers do you use? by Lourix on 09-21-2006 at 07:16 PM

But as Cookie said it would be more interesting.

RE: RE: Which numbers do you use? by Supersonicdarky on 09-21-2006 at 07:20 PM

quote:

RE: Which numbers do you use? by lizard.boy on 09-21-2006 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

-> Thats me.

Like Cookie, and others, I get rather annoyed in situations where i can't use a number pad. I think part of my hate for the horizontal numbers is the fact that when I touch-type, I don't use the proper fingers on the proper keys, and therefore have a hard time finding them quickly. (I have to look down).
RE: Which numbers do you use? by tony on 09-21-2006 at 10:07 PM

numpad on the pc, horizontal on the laptop, simple

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Chris4 on 09-21-2006 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Same as me really :P

Same :)
RE: Which numbers do you use? by ins4ne on 09-21-2006 at 11:02 PM

numpad. dont know why... its just because... dont  know why :P

RE: Which numbers do you use? by qgroessl on 09-21-2006 at 11:34 PM

Depends on the situation for me too... the majority of the time it's my numpad though.

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Lou on 09-22-2006 at 12:06 AM

I almost always use the numpad, I'm not used to using the horizontal number keys.

quote:

RE: Which numbers do you use? by blackjack on 09-22-2006 at 12:21 AM

Umm.. I use both.. but the Num pad is the most used.

Like WDZ and the others.. its depending the situation.. or if im typing long numbers, etc.

:P

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Weyzza on 09-22-2006 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I can't use the horizontal one anymore, I find it extremely difficult, whereas with the numpad it's like dum-dee-dum and the number is in :s.

I use the horizontal keypad sometimes though, like on laptops.
That's exactly I wanted to say :-o

/me loves random polls. :chrongue:
RE: Which numbers do you use? by wolfeboy100 on 09-22-2006 at 01:07 AM

I most likely, like to use my Numpad

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Adeptus on 09-22-2006 at 01:39 AM

The horizontal numbers row is meant to work together with typing.  For anyone who knows how to type properly, it should be faster and more natural -- you don't have to remove a hand from the keyboard.

The only exception to this that I can see would involve using calculators or similar applications, which require input of a bunch of numbers and zero text.

I use the numbers row exclusively and would prefer a keyboard without the numeric pad if I could find a split ergonomic keyboard like that, to shorten the reach distance to the mouse.  From what I've observed among my friends and coworkers, most programmers, admins and other 12-hours-a-day computer users do the same, while most casual users seem to prefer the numeric pad.  No offense to anyone here was intended.  :)

RE: RE: Which numbers do you use? by kittymew on 09-22-2006 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by J.J
quote:

Same here...but i guess I would still use the horizontal pad because I'm used to it :P

RE: Which numbers do you use? by markee on 09-22-2006 at 02:18 AM

As stated by heaps of people I like to only used the horizontal number line when I have up to about 3 numbers to write, after that it's time to use the number pad.  The biggest difference with me i that I don't mind using my laptop with the likes of spreadsheets though, probably has something to do with my full size keyboard and 17" widescreen :refuck:

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
The horizontal numbers row is meant to work together with typing. For anyone who knows how to type properly, it should be faster and more natural -- you don't have to remove a hand from the keyboard.

The only exception to this that I can see would involve using calculators or similar applications, which require input of a bunch of numbers and zero text.

I use the numbers row exclusively and would prefer a keyboard without the numeric pad if I could find a split ergonomic keyboard like that, to shorten the reach distance to the mouse. From what I've observed among my friends and coworkers, most programmers, admins and other 12-hours-a-day computer users do the same, while most casual users seem to prefer the numeric pad. No offense to anyone here was intended.

I disagree that 12-hour-a-day computer users prefer the horizontal number bar, many accountants and statisticians find it far better to have the number pad as they are writing in numbers for quite a lot of the day.  But I do think they will agree with you when it comes to smaller numbers, especially when writing a report or letter and they are using that side of the keyboard already.
RE: Which numbers do you use? by Curtis on 09-22-2006 at 02:28 AM

I use horizontal pad all the time.  No matter what for.

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Adeptus on 09-22-2006 at 02:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I disagree that 12-hour-a-day computer users prefer the horizontal number bar, many accountants and statisticians
It was a bad choice of terms.  I probably should have drawn the distinction between technical (IT) users and non-technical users.

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Chrono on 09-22-2006 at 02:31 AM

numpad ftw.
it's easier and quicker .cheesy:

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Felu on 09-22-2006 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
.cheesy:
Chrono phails @ [Image: xso_cheesy.gif] again [Image: xso_sad.gif].

I use both. It depends which lies closer when i'm typing something :p.
RE: Which numbers do you use? by John Anderton on 09-22-2006 at 12:39 PM

numpad > *

RE: Which numbers do you use? by -Bogan- on 09-22-2006 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
numpad ftw.
it's easier and quicker .cheesy:

RE: Which numbers do you use? by lrac522 on 09-24-2006 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Samething for me, easier using the numpad for me.
RE: Which numbers do you use? by Spunky on 09-26-2006 at 11:35 PM

Definately numpad! Only exception is when inputting License Keys and my WEP key for my wireless. Don't have to move fingers as much when using numpad and you can make it look as if you type REAL fast [Image: heh.gif]

Typing numbers in a linear fashion, without typing letters as well confuses me and I end up randomly pressing shift for no apparrant reason and putting % signs and + and junk :p

RE: Which numbers do you use? by Voldemort on 09-27-2006 at 12:24 AM

quote:

laptop so :P