Shoutbox

Wireless Netwok Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wireless Netwok Problem (/showthread.php?tid=66531)

Wireless Netwok Problem by kierant on 09-22-2006 at 03:51 PM

Hey
I'm trying to set up wireless at my new student house and am having troubles...

One computer is plugged into the router via ethernet and gets the Internet fine. However, the other computers in the house cannot receive the internet. The wireless signal is perfect on each computer and they can connect to the wireless network without a problem...it's just that none of them can get the Internet connection as well. Any help much appreciated as it's driving me mad because I've set up wireless networks before without any trouble!
Thanks x

RE: Wireless Netwok Problem by MeEtc on 09-22-2006 at 04:02 PM

Let's start with the obvious, have you looked at the instruction manual that came with the router? Connection instructions?
Maybe the router needs to authenticate the wireless computers?

RE: Wireless Netwok Problem by kierant on 09-22-2006 at 04:06 PM

Thanks
Yep, the router came with an 'easy-install' cd with several stages of instructions, and i followed them without any problems. The network seem to be fine, just the internet connection sharing.
If it helps to solve; the ISP is AOL.

RE: Wireless Netwok Problem by MeEtc on 09-22-2006 at 04:07 PM

what is the make and model of the router?

RE: Wireless Netwok Problem by kierant on 09-22-2006 at 04:16 PM

netgear dg834g

RE: Wireless Netwok Problem by MeEtc on 09-22-2006 at 04:39 PM

how about going to network connections and clicking 'set up home or office network'

see if this helps too: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/593681.html

RE: Wireless Netwok Problem by Spunky on 09-22-2006 at 05:41 PM

if you get perfect reception of the signal it sounds like you may not have entered the WAP/WEP key correctly.

RE: Wireless Netwok Problem by kierant on 09-22-2006 at 06:58 PM

I have tried setting up the home network as meetc suggested but to no avail. I have also made sure the network key is correct so it can't be that. I appreciate the help guys, any more suggestions are welcome. Thanks

OK it's sorted now. Thanks for your help guys.

NB. for anyone searching the forum with a similar problem: my problem was stupid and a simple mistake. I had set the WEP network key myself when seetting up the network. However, the key needed to actually connect to the network was a key provided automatically (random numbers and letters). Sorry if that's no help, I'm shattered and must sleep.