Shoutbox

What can you do if you know someones IP? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What can you do if you know someones IP? (/showthread.php?tid=66533)

What can you do if you know someones IP? by .Roy on 09-22-2006 at 04:21 PM

What can you do with someones ip?

Pretty much sums up my question...

RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by Lourix on 09-22-2006 at 04:24 PM

Well you can learn it, trace it, use it as your password, make a puzzle with it, tell the person their ip address. There's so much you can do with!

RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by Nagamasa on 09-22-2006 at 04:25 PM

I can report you with it.

RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by Steven on 09-22-2006 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Roy

Pretty much sums up my question...

Im guessing you have the IPget program and you want to know what you can do? Well if your hoping to use it to hack, my answer is sorry, you can't. And if your wondering what others can do with your ip, is basiclly ban you from their site. So theres nothing to worry about if someone has your IP address.
RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by MeEtc on 09-22-2006 at 04:59 PM

hmm, maybe convert it into binary, which is basically what an ip is.
maybe change it to hex while your at it?

RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by Ezra on 09-22-2006 at 05:06 PM

You can use a port scanner to see if any ports are open, and then try to find any exploits on programs that are listening on those ports.

RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by NiteMare on 09-22-2006 at 05:45 PM

quote:
ping them
RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by MeEtc on 09-22-2006 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
ping them
I can't (stupid firewall...)
RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by CookieRevised on 09-22-2006 at 11:13 PM

PS: and for those who claim you can find out the location of where that person is: that quite often will not work either. The IP will trace back to the address of your ISP, not the address of you (although sometimes it is the same city, but in general it isn't; country is usually correct though).

Only the last parts of the IP are "accurate". The first parts are just numbers given by your ISP for your address. This means, if this link between the numbers and your address is not known by such services which tell you the location of an IP, they will give you wrong (inaccurate) info and in practice this means what is said in the first paragraph: you can not find out the address.

RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by Ezra on 09-23-2006 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS: and for those who claim you can find out the location of where that person is: that quite often will not work either. The IP will trace back to the address of your ISP, not the address of you (although sometimes it is the same city, but in general it isn't; country is usually correct though).

Only the last parts of the IP are "accurate". The first parts are just numbers given by your ISP for your address. This means, if this link between the numbers and your address is not known by such services which tell you the location of an IP, they will give you wrong (inaccurate) info and in practice this means what is said in the first paragraph: you can not find out the address.

But if you trace the ip, sometimes the hops also have pointers towards the possible country.

Or the reverse-dns entry (if there is one)
RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by ShawnZ on 09-23-2006 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
But if you trace the ip, sometimes the hops also have pointers towards the possible country.

Or the reverse-dns entry (if there is one)

no, thats the exact same thing. just because you live in say, toronto, doesn't mean you're going to use the exchange there. i was using a quebec city exchange for months, and brian was using a toronto one. :sad:
RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by cloudhunter on 09-23-2006 at 12:53 AM

Well if you trace my IP, you can get down to my city I believe. Major excange here... But you generally get a rough idea of where they live.

Cloudy

RE: What can you do if you know someones IP? by Ezra on 09-23-2006 at 01:54 AM

Yeah for me too, London, Amsterdam, ISP, ISP Network, Me

But really, you can't do much with an IP adress. Also because most isps don't give out static ip addresses only dynamic ip addresses. After your lease time/idle time is up your ip mostly changes.