Shoutbox

Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? (/showthread.php?tid=66536)

Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? by M73A on 09-22-2006 at 05:58 PM

how can i do what the picture says

i just cant work it out:(

exercise in my ict workbook it says use boxes and colour fills, but the only way i can see of doing it is to format the cells white, not the box...

thanks

RE: Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? by wj on 09-22-2006 at 06:04 PM

Realalistaclly you would never use Excel for this kind of application. You would use Access or a web app.

Now that i'm off my soapbox. Just to be helpful to others, What version of Excel are you using?

RE: Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? by M73A on 09-22-2006 at 06:09 PM

v11.5207...

i didnt choose to do it, im just following the workbook:P but it just says "make it look like this:" and gives a picture, but it doesnt say how to format the shapes so you can see the writing :(

RE: Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? by M73A on 09-22-2006 at 07:12 PM

anyone? i kind of need this tonight thanks :)

RE: Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? by Adeptus on 09-22-2006 at 07:28 PM

Although some of he lines in your picture appear to be drawn in (the overlapping double border of the top area) and I don't think you will be able to make it look exactly like that, the rest seems just cell background color and borders.  Right click, Format Cells -- or am I missing something about your question?

RE: Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? by M73A on 09-22-2006 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Although some of he lines in your picture appear to be drawn in (the overlapping double border of the top area) and I don't think you will be able to make it look exactly like that, the rest seems just cell background color and borders.  Right click, Format Cells -- or am I missing something about your question?

i tried that but the cell formatting doesnt match the boxes, so it overlaps and stuff, looks really dodgy..

i've changed thing around a bit to use cell formatting but it didn't end up like i wanted. oh well!

Whats wrong with this? it says compile error... i've tried tons of things it makes no sense!!!!

quote:
Sub Start()
'
' auto_open Macro
    With ActiveWindow
    Application.Caption = "PB Insurance Services Ltd"
        .DisplayGridlines = False
        .DisplayHeadings = False
        .DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = False
        .DisplayVerticalScrollBar = False
        .DisplayWorkbookTabs = False
    End With
    With Application
        .DisplayFormulaBar = False
        .DisplayStatusBar = False
    End With
      Application.CommandBars("standard").Visible = False
      Application.CommandBars("formatting").Visible = False
    Sub auto_open()
    Load UserForm1
    UserForm1.Show
End Sub

thanks for any help!

EDIT: needed an extra end sub, DUH >.<
RE: RE: Excel - Shapes behind text in cells - how? by CookieRevised on 09-22-2006 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A

v11.5207...

i didnt choose to do it, im just following the workbook:P but it just says "make it look like this:" and gives a picture, but it doesnt say how to format the shapes so you can see the writing :(
All you need todo is add the same color of grey like the default gridlines of excel as a filling to the cells, nothing more ;)

see attached excel workbook example

(but wj is right though, making such a form in Excel is possible, but Excel is not the perfect program to do it in though... very dodgy that a textbook use something like that as an example :p)