Shoutbox

Comupter wont boot [urgent] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Comupter wont boot [urgent] (/showthread.php?tid=66607)

Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Kenji on 09-24-2006 at 04:17 PM

Well...

I have a computer that i use for dj'ing in my pub. I turned it on today to update the songs on it etc and it wouldnt boot :S. sometimes it gets to the screen that tells you the specs etc and but most of the time it goes to "Copywrite (C) 1999 - 2000 Intel Corparation. All Rights Reserved." then the cursor just blinks below it.

It was working fine the other day. :S

Its a dell L500cx.
900Mhz celeron.
256MB ram.
80GB hdd.
Running XP Pro build 2600 or something.

Any help would be appreciated as i need it to work on Firiday.

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by andrewdodd13 on 09-24-2006 at 04:44 PM

My guess would be something internal has died and the BIOS POST is crashing because of it. Try getting into the BIOS (via F2 or Delete as the system starts up) and see if that works. If it doesn't, well, I'm assuming you've got some tech skills for the next bit:

Remove all unneccessary internal components (Hard Disk, CD-ROM drives, etc, as well as any PCI cards you may have), and then boot the PC.
If it works then replace them one by one, booting in between to see if the system still boots. Once you find the hardware that stops it booting then you'll need to replace that bit. :)
If it doesn't work then the motherboard is likely foobar-d.

If you don't have the tech skills, you'll want to get someone who does to take a look at it if you got this far. :) (And I warn you, it may be expensive if they're not your mate... maybe even if they are ! :P)

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Kenji on 09-24-2006 at 05:20 PM

Just tried all that.

The first time i booted without drives etc it made a continuous beeping noise. It still didnt work without having any drives or pci cards connected. :s

ive added the modem back in that was in there a few weeks before that i took out and it still made no differnce.

swapped ram over, hard drives over and everything.

nothing :sad:

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Jesus on 09-24-2006 at 06:08 PM

looks like your mainboard is fuxxed then

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Kenji on 09-24-2006 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
looks like your mainboard is fuxxed then

Yeah. i have a spare mother board but i need to reinstall XP on it, which will erase all the data. and i cant be doing that as there is over 50GB of music on there =/

EDIT: wtf @ dodgy quote.
RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Jesus on 09-24-2006 at 06:20 PM

if you have enough space on the pc you're currently working on that shouldn't be a problem, at least if the HDD is not broken too ;)

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by andrewdodd13 on 09-24-2006 at 07:31 PM

To reinstall XP without losing the music (admittedly, you'll lose all the settings and the music database - which isn't a problem if you tagged the files properly) simply get the recovery console up (Windows Setup from the CD, press 'R', enter admin pass) and:

code:
cd C:\
attrib -s -h -r ntldr
del ntldr
del WINDOWS /F /S
del "Program Files" /F /S

This should allow you to reinstall Windows while keeping the documents and settings folder (I'm assuming this is where the music is, if it's not, simply mkdir C:\Music and move all the music into there).
RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Kenji on 09-24-2006 at 07:48 PM

Thanks, ill tr that. i have most of the music backed upany way but it would save time.

also, is this with the new motherboard?

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by rav0 on 09-25-2006 at 02:57 AM

I think that it wouldn have to be done with the new motherboard, unless you can get Windows Setup to boot with this motherboard.

If you do try whatandrewdodd13 suggested, once you have installed Windows XP, do not create a user with the same name as the one on the old installation that had the music, else whan you log on, the stuff from the profile of the old installation will be erased, and you will get the usual brand new Desktop/Start Menu/Documents. If the new user you create on the new installation has a different name, you get all the new profile, but you the files of the old user's profile are still in "Documents and Settings", and you can rescue the music from there. You can even copy the the old profile into the new user, but after the new user has logged on once, else at the first logon, a new profile is created and whatever was in the folder is erased.

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by andrewdodd13 on 09-25-2006 at 06:34 AM

Yes sorry, that was with the new motherboard on. Or on another PC if you so wished.

My experience of creating a new user like that would be that the old folder would be renamed to Andrew.000, but I have a slipstreamed & customized install CD, so it may not work for all installation discs.

Of course, if you just renamed the D&S folder in it's entirity you could copy anything else from there that was on it. :)

RE: RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by rav0 on 09-25-2006 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
My experience of creating a new user like that would be that the old folder would be renamed to Andrew.000, but I have a slipstreamed & customized install CD, so it may not work for all installation discs.
My install disk is slipstreamed to Service Pack 2 (stock, nothing else). I didn't have that behaviour when I was experimenting with it. I have seen folders being named with .000 on the end, and being given 8.3 legacy names (as the real name, and the legacy name would be counted up one as the original folders legacy name would have been the real name if this folder).

quote:
Of course, if you just renamed the D&S folder in it's entirity you could copy anything else from there that was on it. :)

Indeed.
RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Kenji on 09-25-2006 at 11:59 AM

Gah. i found my XP Disc and its scratched like hell :sad:, well it was under my desk. im not gonna "buy" another one. so it looks like its either windows 2000 or windows 98 :undecided:

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by andrewdodd13 on 09-25-2006 at 04:36 PM

2000 all the way. 98 is as dead as the guy that got me detention for putting a video of me making out with a girl at school on YouTube.

What that means: 98 is based on the 9x kernel, which isn't very stable, so go for the 5.0 NT kernel (2000) :)

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Max on 09-25-2006 at 05:04 PM

As long as you have a legitimate serial key you can download a Windows XP Disk off BitTorrent. :)

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by ryxdp on 10-04-2006 at 05:26 AM

BitTorrent? As far as I know BitTorrent is packed with spyware, and even more if you download something. :D

^^^ Ignore that gibberish...what was I thinking :/

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by ddunk on 10-04-2006 at 05:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
BitTorrent? As far as I know BitTorrent is packed with spyware, and even more if you download something. :D

quote:
Originally posted by Snaal Sevool Snr.
[Image: Ryx_sig_32.bmp]

That's all i have to say.

EDIT: Let's expand. Even though bittorent may be used for illegal file transfer, there are still legal uses of it [see Open Office]. "Bittorrent" is the name of a protocol and therefore, no spyware. However, if you were talking about the original "BitTorrent" client, it is spyware free. Downloading something using torrents will not give you spyware for sure. As with any other way of downloading files, yes, there is the risk of spyware (p2p, http, ftp, torrenting, etc.) but just downloading something using torrents does not guarantee spyware.
RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Lourix on 10-04-2006 at 05:33 AM

Limewire maybe BitTorrent is really bad.

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by rav0 on 10-04-2006 at 06:47 AM

BitTorrent has no spyware. There are a bajillion alternative clients if you don't trust BitTorrent.

If you think that BitTorrent does have spyware/virus/trojan/adware/malware/backdoor, make a new thread for yourself.

Limewire doesn't have spyware, but the Gnutella network (What Limewire is designed to connect to) can (and does) contain viruses, among other perfectly good files. Just know not to download the junk.

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by beware_of_this_guy on 10-04-2006 at 11:14 AM

HI I AM A n00b!!!
i heard that SpyQuake 2 is a spyware that is pretending to be a anti spyware :S

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Underlord on 10-04-2006 at 11:18 AM

quote:
2000 all the way. 98 is as dead as the guy that got me detention for putting a video of me making out with a girl at school on YouTube.
Link.
RE: RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by rav0 on 10-04-2006 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beware_of_this_guy
i heard that SpyQuake 2 is a spyware that is pretending to be a anti spyware :S
Probably is. I've never heard of it. There's lots of software that is spyware that is pretending to be anti-spyware, my friend downloaded one the other day while I was telling him not to over Messenger. Stick to well known and trusted ones like Ad-Aware (by Lavasoft). PS you should have made a new thread for this, instead of posting in this one ;).

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
quote:
Link.

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by ryxdp on 10-06-2006 at 08:40 AM

[unhelpful] rav0 spyware disguised as antispyware programs are called "rogue antispyware" programs. Take SpySherriff for example.

Just thought you ought to know :P

RE: Comupter wont boot [urgent] by Revrant on 10-06-2006 at 01:44 PM

Oh my yes Dazmatic, in fact if you like I could invite you to Demonoid, which is where I got my XP burn after the store disc mysteriously "disappeared"(My ass), as long as you happen to have the serial, there's not a damned thing wrong with it I say, and it's a wonderfully run site, no fears of "Spyware" or malware.