Shoutbox

Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! (/showthread.php?tid=66686)

Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 09-26-2006 at 07:12 PM

Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear!

Here is mine:

[Image: simg0127pg2.th.jpg]

[Image: photo0014ai8.th.jpg]

[Image: photo0013vu4.th.jpg]

old picture but with neon coming out as it normally does:
[Image: photo0003ny4.th.jpg]

Another picture of my amplification gear (which isn't complete yet):
[Image: een6vd.th.jpg]

[Image: photo0008qx6.th.jpg]

Synq all the way!:
[Image: photo0006nb8.th.jpg]

Speakers are 15" with 1" bullet tweeter. 250watts each, nice sound coming out.

Synq is an upcoming new Dutch brand popular in Europe... The turntable is slight better than the famous standard Technics SL1200 (it has much more torque and corrections go easier, smoother). The cdplayer is just the Denon's 4500 (i had that one) but with better mp3 functionality, better screen, cue start and enless loop functionality and it reads discs who don't work anymore in a Denon (also a thing called 'disc cue' but that's to complicated to explain. The mixer has nice faders gliding on 2 rails, user replaceable and an effector comparable to pioneer effectors. I spent lots of money on all this, another turntable has to come yet :)

RE: Are you a dj? Show your gear! by user27089 on 09-26-2006 at 07:45 PM

Holy crap exca, your stuff is well good...

I'm doing a music technology course at the moment and I'd like to get into something like that or music producing ^_^.

My brothers friend, Andy, started to get into DJing, he had crap loads of money and bought some really amazing gear with it, we had a party and I got to mess around with it loads, it was awesome :p.

RE: Are you a dj? Show your gear! by Supersonicdarky on 09-26-2006 at 07:50 PM

can u show off the music too? :P

(i'm a sad dj who can mix 2 songs into one...)

RE: Are you a dj? Show your gear! by Jesus on 09-26-2006 at 08:10 PM

lol mixing with CD's sucks (it's just like the pcdj stuff)
I have a crappy turntable set (Numark's almost cheapest mixer and SoundLab BeltDrive turntables lol) but I prefer to use music production software/hardware. At the moment I have

RE: Are you a dj? Show your gear! by Exca on 09-26-2006 at 08:59 PM

I spin allround music, my meaning is: medium doesn't matter. It's all about the music.

I like vinyl over cd's too, but cd's in allround mode are weigh harder to do than vinyl. Vinyl is easy because of the precise pitch and bend possibilities. I get my vinyl's together in 2 seconds. Cd's is a bit harder. But ofcourse, vinyl is the real shit. Nothing goes above the feeling of the black gold.

I spin professional, at the moment (residency)

@Jesus: producing is another part of the whole thing, and that's all pc basicly indeed. I'll change topictitle :)

As mixing with pc concerns: I'm totally PRO Final Scratch, because you just use the mp3's, but you keep your technique. But pcdj is just pressing 2 buttons and everything goes automaticly, and mostly illegal. Thats what i'm against.

RE: RE: Are you a dj? Show your gear! by CookieRevised on 09-26-2006 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
[*]Behringer BCR2000
[*]Behringer MX1604A
aiaiaiaiaiai.... cheap copycat crap :D

faders will brake down, crack, distort, etc over time, sound quality is nowhere near pro-material... but budget wise it is cool of course (1/2 to 1/10th of the price of quality brands; but it reflects in quality too of course).

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
Nothing goes above the feeling of the black gold.
and the dynamics of their sound of course, which cd's simply can't produce.
RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 09-26-2006 at 09:06 PM

[offtopic] Cookie don't you have gear? You had a friend workin at the Keymusic shop (djgear shop) right? [/offtopic]

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by CookieRevised on 09-26-2006 at 09:09 PM

quote:
[offtopic] Cookie don't you have gear? You had a friend workin at the Keymusic shop (djgear shop) right? [/offtopic]
yeah, I know a few people there. But I don't have 'gear' (love the word :p) myself. But I use mixing gear almost everyday in theater/stage (it's my job). But that is more mixing as in mixing instruments, etc. Not mixing beats and songs...

So I'm certainly not a DJ, I am a music technician (well, that is: I'm not really one, but its one facet of my theater technician job. I certainly need to learn a hell of lot more to become a true music technician).
RE: RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 09-26-2006 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
yeah, I know a few people there. But I don't have 'gear' (love the word :p) myself. But I use mixing gear almost everyday in theater/stage (it's my job). But that is more mixing as in mixing instruments, etc. Not mixing beats and songs...

So I'm certainly not a DJ, I am a music technician (well, that is: I'm not really one, but its one facet of my theater technician job. I certainly need to learn a hell of lot more to become a true music technician).

With a nice Midas Veronica or what  ;)

(like on my desktop:)
[Image: naamloosav0.th.jpg]

Anyway back on topic; pictures! :o)
RE: Are you a dj? Show your gear! by Voldemort on 09-26-2006 at 09:15 PM

im not a dj, i just like music :D, but i have this:

EURORACK PRO RX1602
Professional Multi-Purpose 16-Input Ultra Low-Noise Line Mixer
http://www.behringer.com/RX1602/index.cfm?lang=ENG

A pioneer EQ that i cant find online

A dodgy cheapass mixer connected to my desktop

A nice pioneer amp that i cant remember where it bought

2- 400 w watts speakers

A nice JBL powered subwoofer

RE: RE: RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by CookieRevised on 09-26-2006 at 09:18 PM

quote:
With a nice Midas Veronica or what  ;)

(like on my desktop:)
[Image: naamloosav0.th.jpg]

Anyway back on topic; pictures! :o)

lol, well that would be a BIG mixing panel, not what I'm used to (but the principle is exactly the same, just for even more instruments).

So I use more this stuff:
http://www.soundcraft.com/images/products/product_sheet/mpm.gif

than this stuff:
http://www.soundcraft.com/images/products/product_sheet/urei1603.gif

just a random, but much used, brand

----------

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
im not a dj, i just like music :D, but i have this:

EURORACK PRO RX1602
another cheap budget product :p:D (in fact, they are exactly the same as Behringers, the only difference is that it is a subbrand of Behringer, and there is another one, but I forgot its name)....

Don't get me wrong though, for low budgets those are good. It makes mixing affordeable to almost anyone, which is a very good thing IMHO.

(I would even buy one myself one day for the occasional recording)
RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Nathan on 09-26-2006 at 09:21 PM

Me and cookie where talking about how nicer vinyls sound to cds etc...
:>
my dad should talk to cookie. Ill show you what my dad has.

Ill edit later

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by vaccination on 09-26-2006 at 09:24 PM

Ooo vinyls are nice, my friend dj's and i get too muck about on his decks and mixer i find it quite interesting.

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Voldemort on 09-26-2006 at 09:26 PM

quote:
(in fact, they are exactly the same as Behringers, the only difference is the brand name; I even think Behringer owns Eurorack or vice versa or something)....

Don't get me wrong though, for low budgets those are good. It makes mixing affordeable to almost anyone, which is a very good thing IMHO.

(I would even buy one myself one day for the occasional recording)

i know... buy the get the job across who cares how :P
i should take a pic of my vinil player playing the original
wish you where here album

quote:
I certainly need to learn a hell of lot more to become a true music technician)

more?
dodgy cookie your head is going to explode...

RE: RE: Are you a dj? Show your gear! by Jesus on 09-26-2006 at 09:27 PM

quote:
I spin allround music, my meaning is: medium doesn't matter. It's all about the music.

I like vinyl over cd's too, but cd's in allround mode are weigh harder to do than vinyl. Vinyl is easy because of the precise pitch and bend possibilities. I get my vinyl's together in 2 seconds. Cd's is a bit harder. But ofcourse, vinyl is the real shit. Nothing goes above the feeling of the black gold.

I spin professional, at the moment (residency)

@Jesus: producing is another part of the whole thing, and that's all pc basicly indeed. I'll change topictitle :)

As mixing with pc concerns: I'm totally PRO Final Scratch, because you just use the mp3's, but you keep your technique. But pcdj is just pressing 2 buttons and everything goes automaticly, and mostly illegal. Thats what i'm against.

I agree with you on most of that, except when you say that CD mixing is harder than vinyl/pc. I used a CD mixer once and both players had a sync button, just like the pcdj software.

The reason I like vinyl over any other medium (except livesets) is that it's one of the few mediums/media (dunno which it is ;)) which provide you with the TOTAL analog sound, even the frequencies a human being will never hear, but which WILL affect the sound you DO hear. Some dynamics are just lost in CD and especially in MP3 conversion. The new S-audio CD does not have this loss, but it's not widely used (yet).
That's also why I only like the idea behind Final Scratch. I like the idea of having the turntable feeling in your entire digital music collection, but for more professional purposes the mp3/wma/any other digital sound format is just not convenient enough. For home use it's fine ofcourse.
If it's the illegality you're against, you shouldn't use Final Scratch either for obvious reasons ;)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
[*]Behringer BCR2000
[*]Behringer MX1604A
aiaiaiaiaiai.... cheap copycat crap :D
faders will brake down, crack, distort, etc over time, sound quality is nowhere near pro-material... but budget wise it is cool of course (1/2 to 1/10th of the price of quality brands; but it reflects in quality too of course).

lol indeed, except for the problems, I've never had any (lucky me, heard of enough people who had)
but I don't care, I'm a cheapskate.
But I'd never buy anything from Behringer that produces sound itself. The BCR is just a MIDI controller and the mixer only forwards the sound (does quite an ok job on that).
I'm not a pro, just experimenting with the stuff, so it does not have to be all that for me. but I do have an opinion about the "pro" stuff :P
RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 09-26-2006 at 09:35 PM

If you have BPM counters, hell turn em off! And for the synchronize button; i wouldn't relay on that one, it's crap and using it won't get you a place at a club ;)

Vinyl sounds warmer indeed, the main reason is that a cd knows 'digital clipping' (bit convertors) which has a limit. So the music on a cd can't be loud technically. Compressing it (not the same as zipping a file) makes it louder, but sharper. Vinyl's can't clip, how louder you go how bigger the distance between the trails, so you get a warmer sound. Also the cracklings of dust and some soundcolor changing parts of the nice analog technique make the music come alive.

Mp3 is a lossy format, but you usually BUY your mp3's on beatport as a dj, in 192kbp/s. No-oone can hear the difference. There is a online test which you hear both original and mp3, from bad to worse. You have to guess when it's 2 times the original one. Everyone dies on the fact they chose mp3 and original. Even in a club, and trust me, you can't hear the difference. Roger sanchez, and many other dj's already take the advantage of it. Spinning mp3's, either with turntables or cdplayers is the future, (denon hd2500) and the whole market is gettin onto it.

But that's it for the technicians under us, let's stay on topic please, maybe we should chat in another thread, but show some gear! :)

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by CookieRevised on 09-26-2006 at 09:40 PM

ok, on topic. Since I don't own anything (yet), here is some stuff I've worked with (or work on daily basis):

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixers/mg16_12/photos.html
http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=22
http://www.mackie.com/products/1642vlzpro/index.html
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/normal/2/2/22656.jpg
and some Behringers and Euroracks

If I can (and think about it) I'll take some pictures of the new (but basic) equipment they bought for the other polyvalent hall I sometimes need to go to for work.

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Jesus on 09-26-2006 at 09:40 PM

oh yeah, I forgot the pics :P comin' up soon

Here they are, don't look at the mess on my desk :P that's normal
[Image: gear1.jpg]
[Image: gear2.jpg]

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by DJeX on 09-26-2006 at 09:41 PM

Ermm k. here it is:

DM2 (crappy mixer but I'm getting something better soon)
[Image: dm2.gif]

I use it with Traktor DJ Studio 3. I don't use the programs that come with it because they suck so I use it with traktor.

M-Audio Oxygen 8
[Image: oxy8_med.jpg]

Does the job :D

I use FL Studio, and CuBase for my music.

My Logitec Speakers:
[Image: Logitech%5CSpeakers%5Cz5500d-300X156.jpg]

Nothing too special but gets the job done. :D  I'm not rich so it takes time for me to get new shit. Next I want to get a

Virus TI:
[Image: HACVIRUSTI.jpg]

AND

Pioneer CDJ1000 or something better I dont know yet:
[Image: pioneer-cdj1000-mk-ii.jpg]

My Music: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=205636&T=5709

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 09-26-2006 at 09:43 PM

Make sure you get the MkIII of the cdj1000 :)

*Next!* :P

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 09-29-2006 at 05:42 PM

New pictures on my site, took with a nice camera. Now the colors come out good at last.

www.exca.be

(you might wanna write something in the guestbook? :))

Are these the only sets plussers got? :D

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by -Bogan- on 09-30-2006 at 08:17 AM

well I had a stanton sa-3 mixer [Image: 04929250210.gif]

and a couple of  T.80's [Image: t80_big.jpg]

I don't have any of the other guys techno/dance orientated decks since I'm a scratch Dj thus my dope as mixer....

Anyone who heard me and my mates track will know what I sound like.

Stanton for life well since I can't afford Technics :(

edit: for the track go here SSD Crew Track

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 02-05-2007 at 03:57 PM

Somebody updated?

Here is my update (cellphone pic :s)

[Image: booth.jpg]

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by MC Inferno on 02-06-2007 at 10:12 PM

Cba, picture taking but because I rap, I only really need the basics :) Thinkin Of Gettin A MIDI keyboard soon despite that I cant play.

My (Short) List:

AKG C1000 Microphone (Recently Sold My Rode NT-1A Too)
Phantom Power Seperate Pack (Always Better Having you 48V Seperate)
M Audio FastTrack Interface
Adobe Audition
Fruity Loops
Cubase

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by MicroWay on 04-29-2007 at 09:50 PM

Just adding mine...
Actually I'm not a "DJ", only a little one, that wants to play with music...
I've tryed a program called Fruit Loops in the past (I know it's for making the music)...
Now I use another program called Virtual Dj... It's good (as I'm not professional and want  to "play"...). But I have to say that there is a big diference between a program (virtual one) and the hole "table" and you using the stuff with the hands!!!
:)

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by MC Inferno on 05-01-2007 at 01:45 AM

I'll take a few pictures of my college equipment (I'm studing music technology you see) tomoro...

BTW, this is spam I guess, but fuck it, its about music equipment and shit and this does involve music so most people readin this will be intrested... I'm releasing a free mixtape for all you rap fans (no "rap is shit" debates plz) on the 20th may, so have a ganders on http://www.mcinferno.co.uk and download it why dont you? Cheers.

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by s7a5 on 05-02-2007 at 12:05 PM

Software:
-Steinberg Nuendo 3
-Lots of Vsts
-Native Instruments Reaktor
-Sound Forge

Hardware:
-Dynaudio BM5a monitors
-M-Audio DX4 monitors
-Yamaha Motif ES6
-Clavia Nord Modular G2
-RME HDSP 9632 soundcard
-M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard
-Creative Audigy 2zs Platinum crappy soundcard
-TC Powercore + Access Virus synth
-Mackie Big Knob studio command system
-M-Audio Keystation 49e keyboard
-Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones
some more stuff...

RE: Are you a dj/producer? Show your gear! by Exca on 05-05-2007 at 11:22 AM

Some better pictures of me (forgot about this post i'm a bit late...)

[Image: booth1.JPG]
[Image: booth2.JPG]
[Image: booth3.JPG]
[Image: booth4.JPG]
[Image: booth5.JPG]