Shoutbox

Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... (/showthread.php?tid=66784)

Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... by prashker on 09-29-2006 at 06:48 PM

Ok I have 2gb of ram

Normally

[Image: attachment.php?pid=735398]

As you can see I have a 400mb use of ram :p

I have 2gb yet Virtual Memory is still used.....

I always wondered why dosen't Virtual Memory be used after the ram is filled?

(Or am I missing something or I am not understanding a part of virtual memory?)

RE: Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... by Voldemort on 09-29-2006 at 06:52 PM

I think that files needed but not much are stored on the virtual ram, so that you have a lot of free ram... probably Adeptus or Cookie can give you a better explanation...

RE: Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... by prashker on 09-29-2006 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
probably Adeptus or Cookie can give you a better explanation...

Will wait for that then ;-)
RE: Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... by Adeptus on 09-29-2006 at 07:24 PM

The short explanation is that programs often request large blocks of memory that they never fully use.  Windows manages memory in 4-kilobyte pages.  For certain types of allocations, the memory manager will allocate all or part of the request in virtual memory.  If these pages are actually ever accessed, they are then swapped in.

This creates a slight overhead for programs that allocate large blocks of memory and use all of it, but that is a very small  hit compared to quickly filling up all of the physical memory and then having to swap pages out to make room for something else.

RE: Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... by prashker on 09-29-2006 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
The short explanation is that programs often request large blocks of memory that they never fully use.  Windows manages memory in 4-kilobyte pages.  For certain types of allocations, the memory manager will allocate all or part of the request in virtual memory.  If these pages are actually ever accessed, they are then swapped in.

This creates a slight overhead for programs that allocate large blocks of memory and use all of it, but that is a very small  hit compared to quickly filling up all of the physical memory and then having to swap pages out to make room for something else.

Ah ok,

thanks for the explanation :)
RE: Memory (RAM) vs Virtual RAM... by Voldemort on 09-29-2006 at 07:50 PM

aw, i was near :P