Shoutbox

Canadian Highway overpass collapses - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Canadian Highway overpass collapses (/showthread.php?tid=66845)

Canadian Highway overpass collapses by Lou on 10-01-2006 at 12:04 PM

It's all over the news. I think it's really sad. Me and my family were going to go there today (Laval) but we decided not to, and well it's better off. The main highway is blocked anyway.

More...

More...

Note: CBC have their days wrong, it collapsed on Saturday, not Sunday.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by prashker on 10-01-2006 at 01:45 PM

I have seen this all over the news as well.

Has any reason been found why the overpass collapsed?

:(

Sucks big time

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by Steven on 10-01-2006 at 02:36 PM

They first are trying to get the cars out, then they will investigate.... Its been a sad 2 weeks for montreal

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by marissa on 10-01-2006 at 04:38 PM

holy crap :\
i need to turn on the tv more often.

that's nuts..

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by *Saint* on 10-01-2006 at 04:52 PM

This is also the second time (in 6 years I think) this happened in the Greater Montréal region =\

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by marissa on 10-01-2006 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
This is also the second time (in 6 years I think) this happened in the Greater Montréal region =\
didnt they just close 20 out of like 45 overpasses? i heard that on the news, i could be wrong though
*-)

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by *Saint* on 10-01-2006 at 11:47 PM

They are throughly inspecting 20 that were made with the same plans, and they closed one. They are also inspecting the other 4500 overpasses in Québec and have 200 left to check.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by Chrono on 10-02-2006 at 12:09 AM

What kind of engineers do you have in Canada? :sad:

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by Lou on 10-02-2006 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steven
They first are trying to get the cars out, then they will investigate.... Its been a sad 2 weeks for montreal
When I posted that they already had.
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
What kind of engineers do you have in Canada? :sad:
According to what the The guy said (the guy who made the plans, he was interviewed this morning) it was lack of people taking care of the overpasses. Noone takes care of them, it's true. It makes sense that this one collapsed, it's a main in Laval.
RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by Lourix on 10-02-2006 at 05:27 AM

Its strange you normally don't hear about highway overpasses collapsing. Hope it never happens again in the future.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by lordy on 10-02-2006 at 06:46 AM

I just saw it on the news, and they said that they had checked it only 40 minutes before it collapsed and said it was fine. They checked it because people reported there were chunks of concrete falling or something like that.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by user27089 on 10-02-2006 at 06:48 AM

It's a shame that stuff like this happens, but unfortunately it's just one of those things isn't it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one saying this, but it's lucky that the overpass didn't collapse during rush hour, otherwise the casualty/mortality rate would've been a lot higher. My heart goes to the families of the 40 year old man that died and to the two people who were injured in the collapse.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by lordy on 10-02-2006 at 06:51 AM

Our report said that 5 people died...

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by user27089 on 10-02-2006 at 06:58 AM

Sorry, reading that article it only mentioned 3 people in a car being trapped under the overpass, it didn't mention anybody else, I've just had a quick read through it and I still can't see anything about the other people.

Either way, my hearts go to those five people who died during the incident, and all those injured.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by lordy on 10-02-2006 at 07:01 AM

I wasn't saying that you were wrong, I was just stating that the report here said 5 people :P Obviously there will be clashing reports, there always are.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by *Saint* on 10-02-2006 at 11:13 AM

The Sûreté du Québec (provincial police) said 5 people died, only 3 were identified, the other 2 they were unable to identify yet.

RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by Underlord on 10-02-2006 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
It's all over the news. I think it's really sad. Me and my family were going to go there today (Laval) but we decided not to, and well it's better off. The main highway is blocked anyway.

More...

Note: CBC have their days wrong, it collapsed on Saturday, not Sunday.
That article is from 6 years ago.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/09/30/overpass-collapse.html
RE: Canadian Highway overpass collapses by Nagamasa on 10-03-2006 at 11:21 AM

Yikes! Lets hope the GTA has better maintainence on its overpasses!

Also, according to the mayor of Toronto, the Gardiner Expressway is maintained quite hevily, so I dont see why the Province of Quebec cant do better. Shouldn't the Province have more $$ than a city?

*Nagamasa gets overpass-phobia.