Shoutbox

Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? (/showthread.php?tid=67004)

Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by .Roy on 10-05-2006 at 08:03 PM

Well i have a dvd reader etc... but when i open the disc its all files

that are .vob etc... weird extensions that i've never seen before...

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by NiteMare on 10-05-2006 at 08:09 PM

use something like windows media player, or Power dvd

dvds arn't jsut like a .avi file, its different formats so you got to use a player to read them

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by tony on 10-05-2006 at 08:11 PM

use VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Ezra on 10-05-2006 at 08:39 PM

You need a DVD Decoder.

I don't know if VLC will play without the decoder. Most dvd's are encrypted with css and this decoder decodes the file so the player can read it.

Just a drive won't help you, you need the software too.

Try vlc else google for a dvd decoder, i'm sure there's a "free" one somewhere around ;)

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Woraug on 10-05-2006 at 09:51 PM

Use Windows Media Player 10.  If you have WMP9, I don't know if it'll play DVDs.

If it still doesn't work, try a program called AnyDVD.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Adeptus on 10-05-2006 at 10:14 PM

In addition to all the (fine) suggestions you have already -- you probably received bundled DVD player software with your DVD-whatever drive, video card, or perhaps even motherboard.  I've sometimes ended up with 2-3 copies of WinDVD or PowerDVD after putting together a new computer.

If the computer was custom made or you have upgraded any of these items, look through your pile of driver CDs and manuals.  It might be there.

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by andrewdodd13 on 10-05-2006 at 10:25 PM

VLC can decode DVDs using its built in libraries - this is the main reason I discovered it, back when Windows Media Player needed an external decoder (actually... I think it still does...).

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Ezra on 10-05-2006 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
VLC can decode DVDs using its built in libraries - this is the main reason I discovered it, back when Windows Media Player needed an external decoder (actually... I think it still does...).

Yeah, I saw, that's neat :D.

Well. I never look at dvd's on my computer anyway, it's a lot more comfortable on my tv :D
RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Rubber Stamp on 10-06-2006 at 04:35 PM

i connect the comp to the tv to watch dvd's...else i dont get the surround sound.!

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by MrSwiskey on 10-06-2006 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
Use Windows Media Player 10.  If you have WMP9, I don't know if it'll play DVDs.

Why not get WMP11?

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Menthix on 10-06-2006 at 06:20 PM

Because its still beta and its generally not a good idea to advise random people to use beta software.

RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Spunky on 10-06-2006 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Because its still beta and its generally not a good idea to advise random people to use beta software.

I'm using WMP11 and it doesn't say "BETA" anywhere, not even the installer. There would have been something tellingme it was beta right?

Many programs will play DVDs. I mainly use VLC as it seems to have codecs for EVEYTHING lol. VOB files can be played in any media player, but you must select the right one (some contain menus and extras).
RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by ShawnZ on 10-06-2006 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
I'm using WMP11 and it doesn't say "BETA" anywhere
[Image: wmp11_hero-1.jpg]
RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by linx05 on 10-07-2006 at 06:29 AM

You don't need AnyDVD to play a DVD. It is used to break the encryption on the DVD so you can rip it.

There are a few decoders out there that will allow you to play a DVD. They are included in the Klite Mega Codec Pack. Though I don't want you to download a huge pack like that just to play a movie. Google it or use MPC/VLC.

A DVD decoder use to play movies doesn't get rid of the copy protections, mearly it just allows you to play it.

RE: RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Woraug on 10-07-2006 at 07:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
You don't need AnyDVD to play a DVD. It is used to break the encryption on the DVD so you can rip it.

There are a few decoders out there that will allow you to play a DVD. They are included in the Klite Mega Codec Pack. Though I don't want you to download a huge pack like that just to play a movie. Google it or use MPC/VLC.

A DVD decoder use to play movies doesn't get rid of the copy protections, mearly it just allows you to play it.

I used to have a DVD drive, and it played them just fine, but a bit back I got myself a Lite-On DVD burner, and it wouldn't play DVDs.  I grabbed AnyDVD, and it played them just fine all of a sudden.  Though when I upgraded the firmware, it started playing DVDs just fine without AnyDVD.

(This might be one of the many random glitches that I often get that no one else does, or has ever even heard of happening)
RE: Why cant I watch DVDS on my computer :S? by Spunky on 10-07-2006 at 07:22 AM

ShawnZ, my copy wasn't exactly downloaded from their site ;) I can't find anywhere on the PROGRAM to suggest it's a BETA.