Shoutbox

[URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt (/showthread.php?tid=67119)

[URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:17 PM

hi

how do i do what the title says?

Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt

is there a way i can view files in the my documents folder? so i can check the filename? thanks

what would i have to type in for AAA.doc from my documents to the A drive? the whole laptop is screwed... i just desperately need the essay that is on the hard drive

Thanks!

RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by ins4ne on 10-08-2006 at 09:19 PM

use /dir to look up the content of drive. but for the rest :$ dont know sorry

RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by ShawnZ on 10-08-2006 at 09:20 PM

...maybe "cd 'My Documents'" "copy AAA.doc A:\"?

RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
use /dir to look up the content of drive. but for the rest :$ dont know sorry

it just gives loads of .exes and i cant 'scroll up' to see whats at the start of the list.
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by CookieRevised on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM

Syntax:

COPY SOURCE DESTINATION

eg:

copy "c:\my documents\aaa.doc" a:

Syntax:

DIR path_or_filename [/W] [/P]

can include wildcards
/W optional, show the list in a wide view
/P optional, show the list page per page

eg:

dir "c:\my documents\*.doc"
dir "c:\my documents\hello?.exe" /p
dir "c:\my documents\a*.xls" /w

more detailed help can be found if you enter the /? parameter after the command you want to use. eg:
  dir /?
  cd /?
  copy /?
etc...

RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by Dempsey on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt
code:
cd "c:\documents and settings\<username>\my documents"
cp filename.ext a:\filename.ext

quote:
is there a way i can view files in the my documents folder? so i can check the filename? thanks
code:
cd "c:\documents and settings\<username>\my documents"
dir *.ext /p

quote:
what would i have to type in for AAA.doc from my documents to the A drive?
code:
copy "c:\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\AAA.doc" a:\AAA.doc

EDIT: yea i'm slow :P
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by ins4ne on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM

quote:
it just gives loads of .exes and i cant 'scroll up' to see whats at the start of the list.
damn thats not so good. command prompt sux. do you know where your essaye is? main folder? subfolder?
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

my documents give invalid directory:(

thanks a ton for the help guys

hey dempsey its windows 98, so it doesnt have the documents and settings bit.... i think:S
RE: RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by CookieRevised on 10-08-2006 at 09:32 PM

quote:
quote:

my documents give invalid directory:(
because that command makes no sense :p

see "CookieRevised's reply to [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt"

quote:
hey dempsey its windows 98, so it doesnt have the documents and settings bit.... i think:S
it does... only there is a possebility that your command prompt will show everything in 8.3 format and not in long file names.

Everything works the same in 8.3 format, only names are shorter (max 8 characters long and max 3 characters for the extension)...

So start at your root, which is C:   :
c:      thanks to shawnz for notifying about the mistake
cd \

next, list the directories in the root:
dir *. /p

now you'll see a bunch of directories, go to the "Documents and Settings" directory (or whatever equivalent it is in 98, don't remember). If it is 8.3 format, it would be something like this:
cd docume~1

again show the list of directories:
dir *. /p

Now go to your user name:
cd myname

Do again a list of directories:
dir *. /p

You now should see the "my documents" folder, so go to it:
cd mydocu~1

of course your path to "my documents" can be different (I used "c:\documents and settings\myname\my documents" for the example, but the way to get there just the same stuff...)
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by ShawnZ on 10-08-2006 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
because that command makes no sense

why?

quote:
cd c:

that, however, makes no sense. you can't cd to a drive.

cd c:\windows\profiles\myusername\mydocu~1\
c:

that is the correct way to change drives
RE: RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by CookieRevised on 10-08-2006 at 09:41 PM

quote:
quote:
because that command makes no sense
why?
Because the command line
"cd 'My Documents'" "copy AAA.doc A:\"
doesn't make sense?

quote:
quote:
cd c:
that, however, makes no sense. you can't cd to a drive.
yes, you perfectly can...

However, you are correct that the command in question should have been just "c:"
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by ShawnZ on 10-08-2006 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Because the command line
"cd 'My Documents'" "copy AAA.doc A:\"
doesn't make sense?

it doesn't make sense because it doesn't make sense? clever.

quote:
yes, you perfectly can...

However, you are correct that the command in question should have been just "c:"

"you can do it, but it has no effect on anything whatsoever and doesn't do anything"
RE: [URGENT]Copy file from my documents to A: In command prompt by M73A on 10-08-2006 at 09:53 PM

Thanks so much you guys...

it was my girlfriends laptop... damn windows 98 .... illegal operation from explorer.exe... she had an essay that took her so bloody long and this was my last desperate attempt to get it off the comp and it worked :)