Shoutbox

Laptop wireless help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Laptop wireless help (/showthread.php?tid=67151)

Laptop wireless help by Reaper on 10-09-2006 at 09:27 PM

Just bought a laptop but having trouble with my wireless connection. I try to connect to my router, but it takes a long time to connect and when it does it gives me a 169.x.x.x address (an automatic private address). If I try and type an IP manually, it will connect but I won't be able to use the internet.
My PC is connected to my router wirelessly ( ? ) and its working 100%.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the DHCP on my laptop but I don't know how to fix it.

RE: Laptop wireless help by tony on 10-09-2006 at 10:14 PM

cmd > ipconfig /release
cmd> ipconfig /renew

RE: Laptop wireless help by Reaper on 10-09-2006 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
cmd > ipconfig /release
cmd> ipconfig /renew
Done that. No luck.

[Edit] When renewing, I get this error:

An eror occurred while renewing interface Wiresless Network Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DCHP client can obtain a new address.
RE: Laptop wireless help by tony on 10-09-2006 at 10:22 PM

restart the modem and reconfigure it?

RE: Laptop wireless help by Reaper on 10-09-2006 at 10:25 PM

Done that but no joy.

I know its a problem with my laptop and not my router as I had similar problems at university.

RE: Laptop wireless help by tony on 10-09-2006 at 10:36 PM

My computer > Propierties > hardware > device manager > Disable your wireless card, restart and enable

RE: Laptop wireless help by NiteMare on 10-10-2006 at 02:42 AM

i assume its your security have you entered your security key on your computer?

RE: Laptop wireless help by wj on 10-10-2006 at 03:50 AM

As nitemare said, I'd guess it's related to security setup on your router, either WEP, WPA, or Mac address Filtering.

After that I would check for a firmware update for your router and try a different router.

RE: Laptop wireless help by Voldemort on 10-10-2006 at 03:56 AM

What router do you have?
Newest firmware?

I used to have that problem when i filtered by mac address, all computers got blocked....updated the firmware and as good as new...

RE: Laptop wireless help by brian on 10-10-2006 at 04:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
Just bought a laptop but having trouble with my wireless connection. I try to connect to my router, but it takes a long time to connect and when it does it gives me a 169.x.x.x address (an automatic private address). If I try and type an IP manually, it will connect but I won't be able to use the internet.
My PC is connected to my router wirelessly ( ? ) and its working 100%.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the DHCP on my laptop but I don't know how to fix it.

Last time I checked, when you get a 169.X.X.X address, it means that Windows is unable to get you an IP address and it gives you that.

Do you have any other computers on the network (Wireless or wired)?  If so, go on that computer, type ipconfig /all in Command Prompt and paste the results here.

To copy a text off Command Prompt, right click on the window (the "black" part of the window) & click on Mark, highlight your text and press enter.  It's now in your clipboard.

It does seem like a problem of connectivity too.  Start > Control Panel > Make sure you're on Classic Control Panel view and click on "Network Connections".  Right click on your wireless network name and click on Properties.  Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list and click on Properties below it.  Is the "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" both checked?  If they are not, check them and click OK and OK again on the Connection window.
RE: Laptop wireless help by NiteMare on 10-10-2006 at 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
As nitemare said, I'd guess it's related to security setup on your router, either WEP, WPA, or Mac address Filtering.

After that I would check for a firmware update for your router and try a different router.
i used to trouble shoot these for my job, i'm 90% sure its teh security
if you don't have your security key entered, or not entered correctly, you'll get "limited or no conectivity", or "verifying identity", thus you need to get your WEP or WPA key off your firmware, using a wired connection, then enter it in to your settings

assuming your using winXP:
1. you can enter it by going to your network connections in your control panel right clicking on your wireless connection then click on properties
2. click on teh wireless networks tab(if you don't see it go to step 2b, otherwise skip 2b)
look to where it says preferred netowrks, select your router and click on properties
      2b.(skip if you have the wireless networks tab)go to your control panel and select administrative tools, then open up services, then go down to the bottom and enable and start the "wireless zero configuration" service, you should now have teh tab

3. in the association tab,  uncheck the "this key is provided to me automatically" box, then enter your key in the network key feilds, no spaces or collens(:),

4. click on the authentication tab then uncheck the "enable IEEE 802.1x..."

click ok and you should be done and connected
RE: Laptop wireless help by Reaper on 10-10-2006 at 01:54 PM

My security for my router is WPA-TKIP. My network key is correct because I checked it on my router settings and I even changed it.
I managed to connect to the network this morning but only for half an hour before it disconnected.

I've posted the ipconfig /all of the other computer on the network

code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SLIM-2784507A86>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : u3g10
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Puaar

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Puaar
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : (ZD1211)IEEE 802.11b+g USB Adapter #
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-8E-03-E6-75
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 October 2006 08:35:17
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

Everything is st to obtain automatically (IP address and DNS) but it's still not working. Also, it will indefinately keep trying to get an IP, and sometimes will disconnect and retry.
RE: Laptop wireless help by Ezra on 10-10-2006 at 03:27 PM

Are you sure the DHCP server on the router is weorking? Maybe it's disabled, that's why windows can't get an ip address and uses that 169.x.x.x address.

RE: Laptop wireless help by Spunky on 10-10-2006 at 03:59 PM

MY DHCP works, but I always seem to get errors or it takes ages to assign. I prefer setting static IPs tbh.

RE: Laptop wireless help by Adeptus on 10-10-2006 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
I managed to connect to the network this morning but only for half an hour before it disconnected.
If it worked for any amount of time at all, then all the important settings were correct.

I'd suggest you test the laptop on a wireless network somewhere else, perhaps a friend's place or a public WiFi hotspot.  You said the laptop is new, so you don't know the wireless adapter actually works -- it could very well be defective.

RE: Laptop wireless help by brian on 10-10-2006 at 05:39 PM

Stupid note: Make sure that the "trigger" is set to on.  My Toshiba laptop has a small "click" button on it so it deactivates WiFi by hardware.  Make sure that's set to on.

If you can't find it, what's your Laptop model?