Shoutbox

i HATE microsoft's networking - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: i HATE microsoft's networking (/showthread.php?tid=67216)

i HATE microsoft's networking by Exca on 10-11-2006 at 08:03 PM

I just bought myself a new stunning laptop. The fun is already over because i can't make it transfer al the gigabytes from my old computer to the new one. I plugged in a router, connected both computers with a lan cable, i've set up a network mshome, on both computers. The old one gets into mshome, the onther one says 'not able to enter mshome. You do not have permission... '. I've tried about everything, i can't connect them direct to eachother too. How do i do it? Both have XP Home.

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by MrSwiskey on 10-11-2006 at 08:21 PM

I had a similar problem with my computer on the network, it couldn't axcess any shared files on the network. I think i solved it by downloading a very important update from microsoft updates , allthough im not entirely sure.. but you can try downloading all of the updates for the laptop

BTW, i litterally mean EVERY SINGLE LAST UPDATE YOU CAN GET!!

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by Exca on 10-11-2006 at 08:29 PM

Ehh did that ;) no advance

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by Adeptus on 10-11-2006 at 08:30 PM

Did you use Network Setup Wizard, or try to set it up manually?

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by ins4ne on 10-11-2006 at 08:40 PM

are both computers in the same workgroup? that was the problem i had and i got same error. when it isnt that, try to use

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Network Setup Wizard
from windows xp cd on both computers.
that should work :)
RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by Voldemort on 10-11-2006 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
I've tried about everything, i can't connect them direct to each other too. How do i do it? Both have XP Home.

did you use a crossover cable?
if you didn't, thats the problem.....

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by Exca on 10-11-2006 at 09:07 PM

Okay, I used the wizard, automatic setup, chose 'mshome' name, clicked OK, restarted...

I don't think i have a crossover cable, i've read about that that's why i mainly tried along the router with 2 normal lan cables...

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by ins4ne on 10-11-2006 at 09:20 PM

that should work with the router. me and my brother have network through router. he (wireless) and me lan(ethernet) never had problems. except the little 'workgroup' problem ;)

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by Deco on 10-11-2006 at 09:58 PM

Well just a couple of things you could try...

1 - Check the IP on both computers. For some reason they might be the same and that would mess things up. If ips are diferent try to ping the other machine so we know they "see" each other.

2 - Have you actually shared the folder? (just in case :) )

That's all I can think of.

Good luck

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by Exca on 10-12-2006 at 02:26 PM

the ip's are different

i have a shared folder, yes :) default there is even a shared folder

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by ins4ne on 10-12-2006 at 02:44 PM

why do you have need of a shared folder? you can release (i searched this word on leo dictionnary, dont know the english one :() folders with right click and select release (or whatever). no need of shared folders. btw did your network thingy work?

RE: i HATE microsoft's networking by Adeptus on 10-12-2006 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
i have a shared folder, yes  default there is even a shared folder
I don't doubt that you probably have a shared folder, but just to avoid any confusion about that whatsoever, this is how the icon for a shared folder should appear:
[Image: Ordner006.gif]
So called "Shared Documents" folder is not necessarily shared for networking purposes.

If we are good on the above, it is most likely some name resolution problem.  Try this: get the IP address of the other computer, go to Start -> Run, and type a UNC path using the IP address, e.g.  \\10.0.0.1\ -- click Ok and see if you get a window showing the shared folders and printers on the other computer.

Let us know how that goes.