Shoutbox

Contacts problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Contacts problem (/showthread.php?tid=67237)

Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-12-2006 at 03:05 PM

Hey guys not sure if anyone has noticed this issue but with in the past day this bug seems to have popped up. Never has it happened once and I been using Windows Live Messenger pretty much from day one and never had this problem. What the problem I’m having is when I add contacts. They are added normally no issues there with the adding people it’s the fact that they cannot see you online when you add them. So I got them to add me and still the same. No pop up that asked you do you wish to add so and so blah blah blah. If you double click on the user or users you just added as they show up being offline it tell you up the top that they need to be added to your allow list. This is news to me never had to do it before and so I clicked it. Now they can see me online but yet I can’t see them. It says they need to be added to your contacts list. Um I already added them and you can see them on my list as offline. I can still send and receive messages but when it says click here to add them nothing happens. I though maybe its Plus! Live so I uninstalled that and tried again, nope its not. So I tried Trillian that worked fine was able to add them and accept them, I though why not try the web base MSN? So I did and same thing worked perfectly. So I uninstalled Windows Live and install good old MSN Messenger 7.5 and that worked like a charm so I uninstalled that and went back to Windows live and st and got 97 nowill the same. I tried clearing out my blocked user list and was able to remove like 75% of it but 25% of it I can’t remove, no idea why so I played around with the contacts list option and tried pretty much every combination possible and nothing seemed to work. I added 4 new users and same for all.

This is a list of every thing I done not in any particular order either:

Restart the computer (though might be a RAM issue)
Tried Trillian Pro
Logged into Web MSN
Repaired Windows Live
Reinstalled Windows Live
Uninstall Windows Live
Uninstall Plus! Live
Reinstall Plus!
Cleared out my Block List
Removed Some Contacts (I had less than 100 got 97 now)
Installed MSN 7.5
Uninstalled 7.5 to try Windows Live again
Changed the Contacts settings I every possible combination

Well its like 4 am here and honestly I’m tired as hell, don’t think I forgot anything. I hope I made that clear and easy to understand. I hope someone can shed some light on it or see if other has this very same issue. In thinking it could be related to once you reach so many contacts on your list this happens.

Thanks in advance.

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-13-2006 at 10:00 AM

Okay well I basically forwanded the last post to them a few hours ago and got this reply here:

Hello Zoidy,

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Francisco, and I will be happy to help you with this issue. I understand and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

According to your email, the issue is that if you add a contact appear as offline and you have Messenger Plus and Trillian installed.

Some third-party add-on applications may be available for integration with MSN Messenger such as Messenger Plus, SmileyCentral from FunWebProducts.com, Handwriting, or Hotbar, etcetera. MSN does not provide support for these add-ons.

Important: MSN has investigated reports that some third party add-in applications can cause the MSN Messenger application to suffer degraded performance and varying degrees of unstable operation.

In order to experience the best performance with MSN Messenger, you should uninstall third party MSN Messenger add-in applications you have installed which may be causing stability issues and report these issues to the third party application vendors.

To find the list of applications that MSN messenger support, please refer to http://messenger.msn.com/Help/authorized.aspx

We recommend that you uninstall unsupported third-party add-ons with MSN Messenger. To get the latest build of MSN Messenger, please visit http://messenger.msn.com.

I hope this information helps you to resolve your issue.

Thanks again for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support and for using Microsoft products. Have a great day!

For questions or self-help with Windows Live Messenger, at anytime you may also visit: https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx?mkt=en-us

Best Regards,

Francisco
Windows Live Messenger Technical Support

With Windows Live Messenger, you can now talk to your Yahoo! Messenger friends.  To learn more, paste this link in your browser:
http://get.live.com/messenger/addyahoo

Find out how easy all-in-one PC care can be with the 90-day free trial of Windows Live OneCare. To get started, paste this link in your browser:
http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/trial.aspx?sc_cid=SPT_msgr

Clearly they did not really read my email that well as I already did what they suggested ^o) Oh well I relpied back to it and will see what they say now :^)

And Plus! Live never made Windows Live Messenger Unstable as I been using it since the day it was released and no problems at all with it so this is a Windows Live Messenger Problem.

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-14-2006 at 01:52 AM

Well yet another update :S This is what I got to the reply to the last email:

Hello Zoid,

Thanks again for writing to Windows Live Messenger Technical Support to confirm that this support issue is not-resolved. My name is Ruth and I will proceed troubleshooting with you from this point on.

According to your email, I understand that you keep being unable to add contacts which do not appear Online to you.

I realize it can be frustrating when a problem persists, so I will do my best to understand and address the issue for you in this response. However, I have inserted some questions for you at the bottom of this e-mail to help better diagnose the issue should additional troubleshooting be required.

General information
- The first name and last name of the caller:
- If the caller is not the account owner, the relationship of the caller to the owner:
- An alternative callback number, if one is available:
- An alternative e-mail contact, if one is available:

Important environmental/system information
- The Messenger client type and version number:
- The Messenger connectivity logs.

Note: Attach or paste these logs into the ticket.

- Whether the connection is wired or wireless:
- Whether the account uses a proxy server and the type of proxy server used:
- Whether the computer where the issue exists uses one or more of the following tools: router, NAT, or firewall:

Troubleshooting information summary

Note: Do not paste in case notes from previous L1 comments.

- Issue summary:
- The troubleshooting steps already taken:
- The steps that are required to reproduce the issue:
- The error message:
- The hexadecimal error code value:
- Whether you can reproduce the issue on a different computer and a different network type: (yes or no)
- Whether the issue occurs for all users on the local computer: (yes or no)
- Whether you can reproduce the issue with a test account on your computer or a lab computer when you use the same MSN Messenger version: (yes or no)
- The date that the issue first appeared:
- Whether the issue is constant or intermittent:
- A list of recent changes to the computer:

Software Information

Note: List the manufacturer and version number of the following types of software that is present on the caller's computer. Indicate "N/A" for the types of software that are not present.
- Antivirus software:
- Firewall software:
- Download enhancers:
- Pop-up blockers:
- Dial-up accelerators other than the MSN Dial-Up Accelerator:

To diagnose the problem, we must have access to your account. When we have access to your account, we can see everything in your account, such as you can when you use your account. After we diagnose the problem, we will reset your password, and then send you an e-mail message that explains what we discovered.

How this affects you
If you use a domain that is provided by Microsoft, such as @hotmail and @msn, please be aware of the following:

While we are trying to fix the problem, you cannot use any services that require your e-mail address to sign in. Before we sign in to your account, make sure that you have your secret question and answer ready so that you can reset your password and access your account again. You should also have an alternative e-mail address available so that we can contact you if we experience any problems when we try to access your account.

If you use an account from a domain that is not a Microsoft domain, you will not be able access any Windows Live or MSN services that use this account. However, you will still be able to access any other services that use this account that are not associated with MSN or with Windows Live. We will send the password reset e-mail and information to this address unless you provide us with an "alternate" address in your Windows Live ID profile.

For example, this issue occurs if you use  an account with one of the following domains: @yahoo, @gmail, and so on.

To give us your permission to access your Windows Live ID, reply to this e-mail message and include the following text in your message: "I grant you my permission to access my Windows Live ID."

Do not give us your current password.
Note: You can reset your password at any time by clicking "Forgot your password?" on the Windows Live ID sign-in page.

To verify the secret question and answer or to verify the "alternate" e-mail address that you must have to reset your password, follow these steps:
1. Visit the following Web site: http://account.live.com
2. Sign in by using your Windows Live ID.

If you see MSN Account Services in the upper-left corner, follow these steps:
a. Click "Credentials."
b. Click "Change your question and secret answer."
c. Type your password, select a question, and then fill in the answer.
d. Click "Continue," and then click "Done."
e. Click "Add or change your alternate e-mail address."
f. Type your password, enter your alternate address, and then enter it again.
g. Click "Continue," and then click "Done."

If you see Windows Live Account in the upper-left corner, follow these steps:
a. Click "Account Summary."
b. Click "Registered Information."
c. Type your address information to complete the "Home location" section.
d. Click "Save."
e. Under "Password reset information" and next to "Question", click the "Change" link to change your secret question and answer. After you set your secret question and answer, click "Save."
f. Next to "Alternate E-mail Address," click "Change" or click "Add to set an alternate e-mail address."

After we diagnose the problem, we will use your alternative e-mail address to notify you of our findings and to send you a password reset message.

Follow the steps that appear in the e-mail that you received to your alternate e-mail address to reset your password.

Ben, thanks again for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support, and for your use of Microsoft products. Every customer is valuable to us, and we are sorry you have experienced problems.

For questions or self-help with Windows Live Messenger, at anytime you may also visit:   https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx?mkt=en-us

Best Regards,

Ruth

With Windows Live Messenger, you can now talk to your Yahoo! Messenger friends.  To learn more, paste this link in your browser: http://get.live.com/messenger/addyahoo

Find out how easy all-in-one PC care can be with the 90-day free trial of Windows Live OneCare. To get started, paste this link in your browser: http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/trial.aspx?sc_cid=SPT_msgr

Yet another person Im dealing with -_-

RE: Contacts problem by Chris4 on 10-14-2006 at 02:12 AM

Well if they access your account, they should be able to see the problem for themselves, in which case they should fix the problem hopefully.

See what they have to say after...

RE: Contacts problem by doughboyy on 10-14-2006 at 07:35 AM

i've actually been having the problem as well.... my contact has me on her list but i cant see her at all on my list :S

RE: Contacts problem by wenbin on 10-15-2006 at 08:29 AM

i m facing this problem too.. if you guys have a solution for this.. please kindly post it here to share.. thanks.. and a qns for u guys.. r both of u using Yahoo Instant Messenger?

RE: Contacts problem by Aeryn on 10-16-2006 at 04:03 PM

Yeah, I'm having the same problem... :/ The added contacts appear as blocked, and one contact that I added can see me and we can talk, but I can't see him, and if I click on the "Click here to add him or her now" link in the convo window, nothing happens. Well obviously, cause he's already in my list...

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-16-2006 at 04:49 PM

I am currently working with Microsoft to figure this out. I never though I'd see the day that I would say that LoL

here is the latest on it and sorry if it a bit big:

Hello Zoidy,

Thank you for writing to Windows Live Messenger Technical Support to confirm that this support issue is not yet resolved, and for providing this additional information. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you with this issue. First, I would like to apologize for the delay in response to you. We have received an unusual high number of e-mails in the past few days, making it difficult to respond as quickly as we would like.

Ben, there is some important information missing that we require in order to continue troubleshooting your issue, please provide us with the connectivity logs.

Please follow these steps in the order they appear to help resolve this issue:

To generate connectivity logs for Windows Live Messenger:
1. Install the latest version of Windows Live Messenger:
a.  Go to http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
b.  Click "Get it free" or "Download Now" and step through the wizard to install Windows Live Messenger.

2. Delete the already-existing connection log file.
Note: If connection logging is not already enabled, you will not see the MsnMsgr.txt file. If you cannot find this file, go to step 3.
a. On the "File" menu, click "Open Received Files" to open the My Received Files folder.
b. Exit Windows Live Messenger if you are already signed in: Right-click the Windows Live Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit".
c. Go back to the My Received Files folder. Select the MsnMsgr.txt file, and then press DELETE.
Note: If connection logging is not already enabled, you will not see the MsnMsgr.txt file. If you cannot find this file, go to step 3.

3. Turn on connection logging, if this feature is not already turned on.
a. Start Windows Live Messenger but do not sign in.
b. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options".
c. In the "Options" dialog box, click "Connection".
d. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, click "Advanced Settings".
e. Under "Connection Logging", make sure that the "Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems" check box is selected.
f. Close the "Options" dialog box.

4. To sign in to Windows Live Messenger again, click "Sign In". The new connectivity log file, MSNMsgr.txt, is generated in the folder described in step 2.

To generate IDCRL Logs:
IDCRL logs can be used to identify Windows Live Messenger service connection issues. To generate IDCRL logs, follow these steps.

Important: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit", and then click "OK" to open Registry Editor.

2. Expand "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", expand "SOFTWARE", expand "MICROSOFT", and then click "IDENTITYCRL".

3. On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "Key". Type the name "Trace".

4. Select the key "Trace". On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "Dword value". Type "Level". The key "Level" will be created in the right pane of Registry Editor.

5. In the right pane, double-click "Level".

6. In the "value data" box, type "99", and then click "OK" to save the changes.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Sign in to Windows Live Messenger again to let the issue occur again. When you sign in, the log file is generated in the My Documents folder.

9. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, look for the file MSIDCRL.txt; If you are using Windows Live Messenger look for the file Msidcrltrace{7108E71A-9926-4FCB-BCC9-9A9D3F32E423}.txt.

10. Verify that the file has been created, and then follow these steps to turn off IDCRL logging:
a. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
b. In the right pane of Registry Editor, click "Trace".
c. On the "Edit" menu, click "Delete".
d. Make sure that the "Level" value registry value has been deleted.

To generate File Replication service (FRS) logs for file-sharing issues:

If you have trouble with replication and cannot transfer changes to your contact, send us the FRS logs. The logs are located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user account>\local settings\application data\Microsoft\Messenger\<Messenger e-mail address>\SharingMetadata\Logs folder.

"To continue to help you, I may have to access your account. If I have to access your account, I will have to reset your password. If you do not give me permission to access your account, I may not be able to continue to help you. May I have your permission to access your account if I must? If the answer is yes, please reply by saying, 'You have my permission to temporarily access my account.' As soon as I complete my troubleshooting, I will reset your account back to your original password, and then let you know that the issue has been resolved."

After you send the answers to the forms, I would like to ask for your patience in waiting for our reply. We will need some time to investigate this matter thoroughly. I assure you that we will get back to you once we determine the appropriate resolution steps.

We look forward to receive your reply soon. The more specific details you include, the better our chances of understanding and resolving your concern.  We are always at your service

Kindest regards,

For questions or self-help with Windows Live Messenger, at anytime you may also visit:   https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx?mkt=en-us

Best Regards,

Charles

With Windows Live Messenger, you can now talk to your Yahoo! Messenger friends.  To learn more, paste this link in your browser: http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=...-81cc-685ee3e858fe

Find out how easy all-in-one PC care can be with the 90-day free trial of Windows Live OneCare. To get started, paste this link in your browser: http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/trial.aspx?sc_cid=SPT_msgr

RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 10-16-2006 at 10:45 PM

This might not be the solution, but it is worth to try:

Delete your Contacts Cache folder...

You will loose nothing with this. The only thing which you might notice is a slightly longer delay in logging in the next time you start up Messenger (since the cache list needs to be rebuild).

In order to do this you first need to make sure you can see hidden files and system files in Windows Explorer:

1. Start Windows Explorer (or press <WIN>+<E> for quick shortcut)
  2. Go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab
  3. in the Advanced Settings list, tick "Show hidden files and folders"
  4. in that same Advanced Settings list, untick "Hide extensions for known file types"
  5. Press Ok.

To delete your cached directories:
  1. With Windows Explorer, navigate to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_windows_login\Contacts\your_msn_mail

2. Delete the entire subdirectory named your_msn_mail.

3. Now navigate to the folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your_windows_login\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\your_msn_mail

4. Delete the entire subdirectory named your_msn_mail.

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-17-2006 at 02:27 AM

Hmm good idea but not so sure that would be a issue as I not long reinstalled but its worth a try so I'll do it now and let you know how it turned out :)

Well things worst as I cant login no more as a lot of people been having this problem.

Update:

Well ignore what I said before, I fixed it and not sure how but I think removing the cach as you suggested screws MSN up as I restored the cach as I cut and pasted it elsewhere just in case this happen. And it worked fine now. So I dunno what the heck happened lol

RE: RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 10-17-2006 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zoidy
Hmm good idea but not so sure that would be a issue as I not long reinstalled but its worth a try so I'll do it now and let you know how it turned out :)

Well things worst as I cant login no more as a lot of people been having this problem.

Update:

Well ignore what I said before, I fixed it and not sure how but I think removing the cach as you suggested screws MSN up as I restored the cach as I cut and pasted it elsewhere just in case this happen. And it worked fine now. So I dunno what the heck happened lol

Removing the cache will screw absolutely nothing up. If anything it would fix things, as caches can become corrupt.
Also if you cut/pasted it elsewhere you actually also did removed it.
RE: Contacts problem by aLKuwaitia on 10-17-2006 at 11:19 PM

i have the exact same problem as zoidy! i tried everything
it works fine with old MSN versions but with MSN live it doesnt

i tried to delete the contacts cache .. and i couldn't sign in .. so i restored it .. and i am able to sign in now with live msn but it never add contacts and never pop up add request !!

RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 10-17-2006 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aLKuwaitia
and i couldn't sign in
there are currently problems with msn servers. Many people can't sign in either* (doesn't have anything todo with the cache being deleted; again, deleting the cache will not cause messenger to not sign in anymore).

* Mostly (but not limited to) those who use non-msn related accounts (eg: non-hotmail@, @msn, @live, etc accounts...)
RE: Contacts problem by aLKuwaitia on 10-18-2006 at 12:43 AM

i tried with @hotmail and other that hotmail

i am in now i restored the cache
but still the contact list can never be updated that means i cant add and i cant receive new add request!
with msn 7.5 its working fine
just with live

any solution?

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-18-2006 at 03:03 AM

Well I know removing the cache is not suppose to do anything. The problem is that it cannot login to update the cache. Most people that have downloaded Windows Live for the very first time have not been able to login at all. if your Email address is not @hotmail.com, @msn.com etc you dont seem to have problems. I'll test this later.

Oh no reply yet from Microsoft and its been over a day now. I guess there must be thousands of people submitting feedback and they cant keep up lol

RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 10-18-2006 at 08:08 AM

Based upon the posts of SteveC and MartyS (Windows Live Messenger support and test manager) in the Official Windows Live Messenger Newsgroup:

Explanation

Issues which all boiled down to the same cause:

- Attempting to login but all you get is eternally spinning buddies
- Login works but you can't add contacts
- Login works but you don't get any contacts
- Error codes when signing in (for example 81000314)

Cause of problems:

1. An outage in one of the data centers which prevented some people from updating or accessing their contacts.

This has been fixed, but contacts added during this outage will unfortunatly be lost and need to be added again.

2. Some back end systems had trouble with the handshaking (technicial term to indicate the communication protocol between systems): Messenger was trying to send a request for the contact list and the response it was getting was't what was expected due to modifications on other back end systems.

This was fixed last night (oct. 17th 2006), but there are still people who might not be able to sign in or add contacts, etc: Those people who tried to log in at the exact time when an errorneous handshake was in effect.

To fix this you need to delete the cache of this handshake policy. Once this cache is deleted a new and fixed handshake can take place and the errors will be gone.

Fix

Delete you handshaking policy cache:
  1. Exit Messenger completely (this means right clicking the Messenger tray icon and choosing Exit).

2. Open your registry editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) and navigate to:
       for Messenger 8.0: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
       for Messenger 8.1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Communications Client

3. Once there, you must remove the following subkeys:
       for Messenger 8.0: Policies
       for Messenger 8.1: Shared

4. Close your registry editor and restart Messenger.

Make sure you don't delete or modify anything else. Wrong alterations can cause serious problems for Windows. For those who are not comfortable editing the registry, I've made a registry file which will do these alterations (steps 2 and 3) for you. Simply download the file, save it, and run it (eg: by double clicking on it):

http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/deletehandshakingcache.reg

nothing will be lost when applying this fix, unlike with some other 'fixes'.
RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-18-2006 at 01:05 PM

yay that worked, I was too lazy to open Reg edit and use the search option let alone delete them lol

You dont have to readd them as it seems to do it automatically. if you have to just delete and readd on person and it automatically deletes users and readds them.

Was kinda creepy watching my list grow smaller then bigger then maller and bigger again slowly for ike a minute lol

Oh and I found out why it as doing that..... it added a heap of users I deleted like six months + ago -_-

RE: Contacts problem by miniroscoe12 on 10-18-2006 at 02:20 PM

im having this problem too. Iv tried doing what was suggested and deleted the shared, but that has done nothing. Im not too sure if i did it right tho because im not very good with computers

Will it fix the problem if i completely remove windows live messenger and then reinstall it? Will i loose all my contacts if i do that?

(EDIT)

Forget that post i think iv sorted it. Thank u Peeps :D

RE: Contacts problem by aLKuwaitia on 10-18-2006 at 03:49 PM

WOW!! finally it worked!!

thanks alot

RE: Contacts problem by mattburnsey on 10-18-2006 at 06:21 PM

Awesome!  Thanks so much, it appears the problem is fixed!  You rock!  The registry file you posted did the trick.

RE: Contacts problem by Aeryn on 10-18-2006 at 06:22 PM

It worked indeed. Thanks, Cookie. :)

RE: Contacts problem by Ankush09 on 10-18-2006 at 09:17 PM

fix worked:). thanks!

RE: Contacts problem by devil2flame on 10-19-2006 at 09:05 PM

I'm still having trouble.
I added my contact but she didn't recieve the notification and then she added me and I didn't receive the notification.
Also another problem with one of my contact, I can see her online in my old account but not in my new account (and no, she did not block me).

Any help would be appreciated

RE: Contacts problem by ChromeX on 10-20-2006 at 11:40 AM

quote:
# Open your registry editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe) and navigate to:
   for Messenger 8.0: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
   for Messenger 8.1: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsLive\CommunicationsClient

# Once there, you must remove the following subkeys:

Both keys are present even if you dont have 8.1...

quote:

This REG removes the entire MSNMessenger key with all the settings instead of removing only Policies
RE: RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 10-20-2006 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChromeX
Both keys are present even if you dont have 8.1...
Do what it says: delete the subkeys "policies" if you use 8.0 and/or "Shared" if you use 8.1.
quote:
quote:
This REG removes the entire MSNMessenger key with all the settings instead of removing only Policies
No, it certainly does not! It only removes the subkeys "policies" and "Shared".
RE: Contacts problem by ChromeX on 10-20-2006 at 12:00 PM

quote:
No, it certainly does not!

You are right, my wrong..

Perhaps my problem is with a different error that seems that the servers have problems, since when i get that error i can't open the status site too.
RE: RE: Contacts problem by Metvan on 10-20-2006 at 03:02 PM

quote:
I am currently working with Microsoft to figure this out. I never though I'd see the day that I would say that LoL

Hello Zoidy,

Thank you for writing to Windows Live Messenger Technical Support to confirm that this support issue is not yet resolved, and for providing this additional information. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you with this issue. First, I would like to apologize for the delay in response to you. We have received an unusual high number of e-mails in the past few days, making it difficult to respond as quickly as we would like.

Ben, there is some important information missing that we require in order to continue troubleshooting your issue, please provide us with the connectivity logs.

Please follow these steps in the order they appear to help resolve this issue:

To generate connectivity logs for Windows Live Messenger:
1. Install the latest version of Windows Live Messenger:
a.  Go to http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
b.  Click "Get it free" or "Download Now" and step through the wizard to install Windows Live Messenger.

2. Delete the already-existing connection log file.
a. On the "File" menu, click "Open Received Files" to open the My Received Files folder.
b. Exit Windows Live Messenger if you are already signed in: Right-click the Windows Live Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit".
c. Go back to the My Received Files folder. Select the MsnMsgr.txt file, and then press DELETE.

3. Turn on connection logging, if this feature is not already turned on.
a. Start Windows Live Messenger but do not sign in.
b. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options".
c. In the "Options" dialog box, click "Connection".
d. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, click "Advanced Settings".
e. Under "Connection Logging", make sure that the "Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems" check box is selected.
f. Close the "Options" dialog box.

4. To sign in to Windows Live Messenger again, click "Sign In". The new connectivity log file, MSNMsgr.txt, is generated in the folder described in step 2.

To generate IDCRL Logs:
IDCRL logs can be used to identify Windows Live Messenger service connection issues. To generate IDCRL logs, follow these steps.

Important: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit", and then click "OK" to open Registry Editor.

2. Expand "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", expand "SOFTWARE", expand "MICROSOFT", and then click "IDENTITYCRL".

3. On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "Key". Type the name "Trace".

4. Select the key "Trace". On the "Edit" menu, point to "New", and then click "Dword value". Type "Level". The key "Level" will be created in the right pane of Registry Editor.

5. In the right pane, double-click "Level".

6. In the "value data" box, type "99", and then click "OK" to save the changes.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Sign in to Windows Live Messenger again to let the issue occur again. When you sign in, the log file is generated in the My Documents folder.

9. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, look for the file MSIDCRL.txt; If you are using Windows Live Messenger look for the file Msidcrltrace{7108E71A-9926-4FCB-BCC9-9A9D3F32E423}.txt.

10. Verify that the file has been created, and then follow these steps to turn off IDCRL logging:
a. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
b. In the right pane of Registry Editor, click "Trace".
c. On the "Edit" menu, click "Delete".
d. Make sure that the "Level" value registry value has been deleted.

To generate File Replication service (FRS) logs for file-sharing issues:

If you have trouble with replication and cannot transfer changes to your contact, send us the FRS logs. The logs are located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user account>\local settings\application data\Microsoft\Messenger\<Messenger e-mail address>\SharingMetadata\Logs folder.

"To continue to help you, I may have to access your account. If I have to access your account, I will have to reset your password. If you do not give me permission to access your account, I may not be able to continue to help you. May I have your permission to access your account if I must? If the answer is yes, please reply by saying, 'You have my permission to temporarily access my account.' As soon as I complete my troubleshooting, I will reset your account back to your original password, and then let you know that the issue has been resolved."

After you send the answers to the forms, I would like to ask for your patience in waiting for our reply. We will need some time to investigate this matter thoroughly. I assure you that we will get back to you once we determine the appropriate resolution steps.

We look forward to receive your reply soon. The more specific details you include, the better our chances of understanding and resolving your concern.  We are always at your service

Kindest regards,

Best Regards,

Charles

With Windows Live Messenger, you can now talk to your Yahoo! Messenger friends.  To learn more, paste this link in your browser: http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=...-81cc-685ee3e858fe

Yikes!  Did everything you said and my msn isnt taking "slightly" longer, its been going on for hours.  I did have a lot of contacts though.  How long should I wait and is there any other way to start over from scratch?  I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling, but of course that didnt work.  I'm able to sign into other msn addys, just not the one that I removed the specific folder on.
RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 10-20-2006 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Metvan
quote:

[SNIPPED]
Yikes!  Did everything you said
What is been said in that post is how to trace/log the errors, not how to fix it. There is no fix given for the "not being able to sign in" issue...

Please read entire thread...

Especially read my post for a possible fix:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=67...d=743515#pid743515

;)
RE: RE: Contacts problem by Metvan on 10-20-2006 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Metvan
quote:

[SNIPPED]
Yikes!  Did everything you said
What is been said in that post is how to trace/log the errors, not how to fix it. There is no fix given for the "not being able to sign in" issue...

Please read entire thread...

Especially read my post for a possible fix:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=67...d=743515#pid743515

;)

Thanks sooo much for this!
RE: Contacts problem by ChromeX on 10-20-2006 at 08:03 PM

MM i have one problem with 1 contact. I add him but never see him online while he is and chatting with me. My issue is not in this list:

quote:
ssues which all boiled down to the same cause:

So i did not apply the patch. Should I?
RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 10-20-2006 at 08:50 PM

quote:
MM i have one problem with 1 contact. I add him but never see him online while he is and chatting with me. My issue is not in this list:

So i did not apply the patch. Should I?
You could try as it can't hurt and you wont loose any settings or such.

Though I have my strong doubts your issue will be solved with it. But you could always try.. .never say never....

PS: it isn't a patch though ;)
RE: Contacts problem by ChromeX on 10-20-2006 at 09:05 PM

quote:

Though I have my strong doubts your issue will be solved with it. But you could always try.. .never say never....

Don't know why and how but it solved my problem :) Gracias.

RE: Contacts problem by devil2flame on 10-21-2006 at 04:37 AM

works... it's a miracle!

RE: Contacts problem by jjazz on 10-21-2006 at 04:52 AM

Me too, the registry doesn't solve my problem!!

Please HeLP~_~

RE: RE: Contacts problem by brian on 10-23-2006 at 03:15 AM

quote:
Based upon the posts of SteveC and MartyS (Windows Live Messenger support and test manager) in the Official Windows Live Messenger Newsgroup:

Explanation

Cause of problems:
  1. An outage in one of the data centers which prevented some people from updating or accessing their contacts.

This has been fixed, but contacts added during this outage will unfortunatly be lost and need to be added again.

2. Some back end systems had trouble with the handshaking (technicial term to indicate the communication protocol between systems): Messenger was trying to send a request for the contact list and the response it was getting was't what was expected due to modifications on other back end systems.

This was fixed last night (oct. 17th 2006), but there are still people who might not be able to sign in or add contacts, etc: Those people who tried to log in at the exact time when an errorneous handshake was in effect.

To fix this you need to delete the cache of this handshake policy. Once this cache is deleted a new and fixed handshake can take place and the errors will be gone.

Fix

1. Exit Messenger completely (this means right clicking the Messenger tray icon and choosing Exit).

Make sure you don't delete or modify anything else. Wrong alterations can cause serious problems for Windows. For those who are not comfortable editing the registry, I've made a registry file which will do these alterations for you. Simply download the file, save it and run it:

Thanks for this very helpful post however this does not work for me. :\

I get the 81000314 error after doing the fix, then if I try to sign in again, I get the buddies spinning non-stop with no error message.

edit: looks like my account works on webmessenger & "windows messenger".
RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-23-2006 at 03:50 AM

Oh yeah i forgot to add this, It may help:

Hello Zoidy,

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Claire and I will be happy to help you with this issue. First, I would like to apologize for the delay in response to you. We have received an unusually high number of e-mails in the past few days, making it difficult to respond as quickly as we would like.

According to your e-mail, the issue is that when you try to sign in to Windows Live Messenger the two buddy icons continuously spin without signing you in.

I am responding to let you know that the .Net Messenger service is currently experiencing technical difficulties. MSN apologizes for the inconvenience, and appreciates your patience as we work around the clock to restore service.

The steps below contain information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, visit the following Web site to learn more about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256986

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly.

1. Click on Start and Run and type in REGEDIT and hit Enter

2. In the registry editor, click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", followed by "Software", followed by "Microsoft", followed by "MSNMessenger", and followed by "Policies".

3. Select the "Policies" key and delete the folder.

4. Restart your machine.

5. Sign into Windows Live Messenger again.

If your issue persists, please view the service status at the following link: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx.

Alternatively, we advise simply to try again in a couple of hours.

In the meantime, some customers have success using MSN Web Messenger as a work-a-round. In Internet Explorer, browse to http://webmessenger.msn.com/ and follow the simple instructions for logging in with your .Net Passport.

- Note: If you are not able to sign into MSN Web Messenger please make sure that your firewall program allows the access to this service.

Thank you again for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. If issues persist, please do not hesitate to contact us back for additional assistance

Best Regards,

Claire

With Windows Live Messenger, you can now talk to your Yahoo! Messenger friends. To learn more, paste this link in your browser: http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=...-81cc-685ee3e858fe

Find out how easy all-in-one PC care can be with the 90-day free trial of Windows Live OneCare. To get started, paste this link in your browser:http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/trial.aspx?sc_cid=SPT_msgr

That should help, Cookie helped me fix mine before I got this reply a few days later lol

RE: Contacts problem by MikeMTL on 10-23-2006 at 04:14 AM

Hi Guys...

I'm still having this issue... on top of that when someone messages me who isn't in my contact list and I click the info bubble to add them I get an hourglass, the info bubble does not go away, yet they appear in my "offline" contacts.

I tried cookie's reg fix with no luck... any further suggestions?

works! by RaGz143 on 10-23-2006 at 04:36 AM

quote:

Explanation

Cause of problems:

Fix

Make sure you don't delete or modify anything else. Wrong alterations can cause serious problems for Windows. For those who are not comfortable editing the registry, I've made a registry file which will do these alterations for you. Simply download the file, save it and run it:

THIS^^ totally works PEOPLE!... i tried it.. THNXS a lot ......
for windows xp users when u go on windows explorer and then looking for HKCU.. it might not be there... but LOOK UNDER.." HKEY_CURRENT_USER--> then Software---> then MSN Messenger and delete the folder policies for WINDOWS LIVE MSN 8.0 ... and then restart msn .....  ( make sure its exited before u start anything ) .. aitee thankss

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-24-2006 at 07:58 AM

Yes it does work as it has for me and a few other people including you. How Cookie finds this info out is amazing really. As look how long it took me to get teh replies that I did from Microsoft lol

RE: Contacts problem by BITCHBITESHARD on 10-27-2006 at 09:24 AM

Im fackin buzzin lol!!!  Thanks sooooooooooooooo much!! U rock!!! Cant believe its all back to normal, loads of hugs to ya !!! :)

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-28-2006 at 12:43 AM

There seems to be more problems with the Windows Live Servers like every few days I have had to delete the handshake cache to login again. Its the second time in less than a week. :^)

RE: Contacts problem by CleonGR88 on 10-31-2006 at 03:14 AM

I tried all of the registry but I still have the same prob!! HELP!! I used the registry file but the contacts I recently added are still offline. I signed in with a different account on WLM on the same computer and everything seemed to be working! What is the problem???

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-31-2006 at 03:20 AM

well try reinstalling WLM then :)

Uninstall restart and then reinstall and restart again

RE: Contacts problem by CleonGR88 on 10-31-2006 at 03:52 AM

I did and had the same problem. Then I ran the reg file and nothing changed......:@:@:@

RE: Contacts problem by Renafuse on 10-31-2006 at 06:22 AM

hmmmmmm i had the same issue so i downgraded to 7.5 *sighs* all of the live versions arnt working properly so thats what i did. 7.5 works perfictly no issues

RE: RE: Contacts problem by Renafuse on 10-31-2006 at 06:52 AM

i didnt see this but i tried it and yep it works :D

quote:

Explanation

Cause of problems:

Fix

RE: Contacts problem by CleonGR88 on 10-31-2006 at 05:21 PM

I also tried it with MSN Messenger 7.5 and tried to unblock the contacts, but it wouldnt let me. A messaged popped up saying: "We cannot update your address book at this time. Please try making this change later" :S:S:S

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 11-01-2006 at 01:19 AM

Well then thats a server related issue that maybe due to them being overloaded or they are doing uptates or maintance

RE: Contacts problem by CleonGR88 on 11-01-2006 at 01:29 AM

well they should have an announcement or something like that, saying that the server is unter maintenance and when everything will be fixed. If anybody knows, please post here

thanks

RE: Contacts problem by DarkMe on 11-01-2006 at 02:10 AM

i erased contact list cache and applied Cookie's solution.
then i restarted wlm, i tried to sign in but i couldn't
so i erased msn msg settings at the registry
now i got the error code 81000395 and still cant sign in
wlm keeps signing in but no error code :sad:

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 11-01-2006 at 04:00 AM

okay try to reinstall WLM and see if that helps. Also try 7.5 and see if that logs in without any problems

RE: Contacts problem by DarkMe on 11-01-2006 at 04:14 AM

Yeh, without problems in 7.5

quote:
* Mostly (but not limited to) those who use non-msn related accounts (eg: non-hotmail@, @msn, @live, etc accounts...)

so i got a hotmail account to see if that solves the problem :p
RE: Contacts problem by Fra6160 on 11-01-2006 at 09:38 AM

Hey I deleted the Policies and Shared folders, but still have a problem: the Shared folder is always there, even if I delete it, it comes back...what have I to do ???? help!!!

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 11-01-2006 at 09:51 AM

Okay did you back up the files you deleted? if so try restoring them and then use the reg fix

RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 11-01-2006 at 10:28 AM

People, please read this thread. The fix I posted was for certain specific cases (which should be already solved by now by MS itself). It is not the magic 'will fix all errors' fix.

Also, please stay on topic (and always search the forum for already posted fixes)

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by Fra6160
Hey I deleted the Policies and Shared folders, but still have a problem: the Shared folder is always there, even if I delete it, it comes back...what have I to do ???? help!!!
1) You can't delete the shared folders from your Windows just like that.
2) This has got absolutely nothing todo with what has been described in this thread.
3) It isn't even an error you're getting; you just want to know how to disable shared folders if I'm not mistaken.

Simply explore the menus of a program when you use it before requesting for help. Extremely many things can be found out on your own if you simply take a minute to actually click on the available menus in programs.

To disable Shared Folders:
- go in Messenger to your sharing folders, remove all the files you might have in them.
- go in Messenger to the menu Tools > Options > Sharing Folders and untick everything.
[/OFF TOPIC]

;)

RE: Contacts problem by Fra6160 on 11-01-2006 at 02:39 PM

Well, yes, but i understood that my problem isn't real that. Well, as I said, I had the problem of the adding other contacts etc which is mentioned in all this topic...well, I fixed it, and in fact I've had the opportunity to see online the last contacts i added...but today, I added a contact, but there's the same problem again damn... I deleted the Policies folder, but the problem still there is....what have I to do guys, help!!

hey Zoidy, how do I restore the files ?
RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 11-02-2006 at 03:50 AM

Well if you get a error message just Google the exact Error code and you will always find something out either a fix or a cause.

To restore them you just move them back to where they came from by copy / cut and paste. Thats what I did. if you sent them to the recycle bin open it and right click restore. If you empty the recycle bin then they will be gone.

RE: Contacts problem by Fra6160 on 11-02-2006 at 11:08 AM

ops....my recycle bin is empty ......:(

RE: Contacts problem by Fra6160 on 11-02-2006 at 06:36 PM

but btw, the problem seems to have been resolved...the fact is that I still have this bug with only a contact...but when a person adds me there's the notify windows which appear.

RE: Contacts problem by CleonGR88 on 11-05-2006 at 05:29 AM

Hey

I've tried the registry solution, but I do not find the "Policies" key. I cannot edit at all my contact list. I can't delete, add, be added, block or unblock. I tried using yahoo messenger to add contacts and tried to add my Hotmail address and it tells me that "There was an error in the server while trying to add a contact. Please try again", whereas it works with other emails.

I have tried everything; anybody can help me?????? please

RE: Contacts problem by GraceB on 11-06-2006 at 02:38 PM

Hi,

Looking at the registries I found these:

CachedPolicy
CachedPolicy0

Are those to go as well or just the previously mentioned which, if I recall correctly, is "Policies"

I am currently using Windows Live Messenger 8.0

Thanks for the help in advance!

RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 11-06-2006 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GraceB
Hi,

Looking at the registries I found these:

CachedPolicy
CachedPolicy0

Are those to go as well or just the previously mentioned which, if I recall correctly, is "Policies"
No.

"CachedPolicy", "CachedPolicy0", etc are key values, like "BrowserWindowRect" for example.

They are not subkeys as mentionned in my post. A subkey is a subdirectory if you wish from the main key, not a file in that directory.

Removing those subkeys I mentionned ("Policies" or "Shared") should be sufficient after a Messenger restart.
RE: Contacts problem by GraceB on 11-07-2006 at 04:15 PM

Alright, thanks for clearing that up! Thought I would ask before I actually got rid of anything that would mess MSN up.

Hugs!

RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 11-07-2006 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GraceB
Alright, thanks for clearing that up! Thought I would ask before I actually got rid of anything that would mess MSN up.

Hugs!
golden rule: always make a backup first before messing with the registry.

If you want to mess with anything under the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger key for example, then export that registry key (and thus all its subkeys) to a file. If you then screw up you can always completely remove that key and import that file again.

PS: don't do this with important system keys though... screwing those up might render your OS useless (so you even can't re-import a backup)

;)
RE: Contacts problem by Crowndefender on 11-09-2006 at 04:34 PM

It never worked for me! And when i tried your link it didnt run anything

RE: Contacts problem by haydos on 11-09-2006 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Crowndefender
It never worked for me! And when i tried your link it didnt run anything
Right click the link, and press 'Save target as'. Save it to your desktop and then double click it and see how that goes
RE: Contacts problem by Crowndefender on 11-09-2006 at 04:39 PM

Still the same :(

Ran it ok but the problem is still there

QUICK EDIT:

ITS FIXED. BRILLIANT!
:D:D:D

Thank you very much for your help!

RE: Contacts problem by haydos on 11-09-2006 at 04:40 PM

Also make sure you've exited Messenger and restarted it. Otherwise I'm out of ideas I'm afraid

RE: Contacts problem by Felu on 11-09-2006 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Crowndefender
Still the same [Image: msn_sad.gif]

Ran it ok but the problem is still there
Did you restart messenger after running the file?

Edit : Made a script to run the reg file :P.

DOWNLOAD

Usage :
  • Click on the Plus! Icon in contact list
  • Navigate to "Contacts Problem Solver"
  • Chose "Solve Contacts Problem"

I know it won't work for the sign-in error codes as you need to be sign-ed it see scripts menu :P. Or should i make it to clean reg when Messenger starts?
RE: RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 11-09-2006 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
Edit : Made a script to run the reg file :P.
In all fairness, that script is rather seriously more difficult to run than an already-by-default-reconized-and-executable registry file...

If people can't download a reg file and double click on it after downloading, I doubt they can install a script which requires much more steps (and programs) to run.

(and it wont fix the sign in errors, as you've said.... (in fact, people wont be able to even import the script in that case)

:-/

---------------------------------

because this thread is getting way too long again (without any usefull additions):

click this link for proper instructions and explanation of the error.

Read carefully the instructions and follow-up posts before replying to this thread that it doesn't work. It has already been said many times that this fix is only for specific errors and may not work for you. But if it doesn't work, make sure you followed the instructions (eg: restarting messenger, etc).

;)
RE: Contacts problem by Crowndefender on 11-09-2006 at 09:16 PM

Im just back.Thanks again for the help. Was annoying me for ages.
The thing ran for litteraly 2 seconds and it was fixed
:);)

RE: Contacts problem by CleonGR88 on 11-10-2006 at 09:36 PM

The .pls script still does not help me....I cannot edit my contact list by any means...I am sure, however, that it is not my computer's problem as it happens from anywhere I log in. I think that someone from MSN should give some answers on when this problem will be solved...or give solutions THAT WORKS!

RE: Contacts problem by Big0ne on 11-11-2006 at 01:00 AM

Hehe. :D

You should check http://msn-errors.blogspot.com/2006/11/adding-contacts-problem.html (Y)

RE: Contacts problem by CleonGR88 on 11-11-2006 at 05:36 AM

Yeah, I've tried that several times and found out that, although I have MSN Live version 8.0, I do not have the Policies key in my registry. I, however, have the Shared Key under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsLive\CommunicationsClient. Deleting that having closed the messenger and then restarting it does not make any difference :(

RE: Contacts problem by SecondStar on 11-20-2006 at 03:52 PM

Fix

IT WORKS!!! THANKS THANKS THANKS :o)

RE: Contacts problem by CookieRevised on 11-20-2006 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SecondStar
IT WORKS!!! THANKS THANKS THANKS :o)
your welcome, but....

quote:
Originally posted by SecondStar
Fix

[SNIPPED]
If you quote this fix, please quote it completely and correctly... ;)

Please see
CookieRevised's reply to Contacts problem
for the complete explanation

RE: Contacts problem by Viranya on 11-25-2006 at 12:51 PM

I have the same problem on MAC... does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? ^^'

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 12-18-2006 at 03:44 AM

Wow for a mac I'd have no idea.

Maybe join the Dark Side and use Windows and throw the Mac thru a window? :D

Just Kidding

RE: Contacts problem by sky_xia0 on 01-23-2007 at 02:27 PM

does this work if my contacts dont update?

RE: Contacts problem by moeyy on 03-04-2007 at 09:49 AM

To Find out what this issue is:

There Add a contact. In the YELLOW Bar when it saying "adding contact" (after you add a contact) it'll either Successfully install your contact or say "ADDRESS FULL"

If it says Address Full, Start pruning your contact. Needs less then 1,000 entries.

Then it'll let you add new contacts.

If it says its successful, use the REG file to update your registery and your DONE!!

GOOD LUCK.

RE: Contacts problem by IceyBarrels on 08-08-2007 at 12:14 AM

what about for 7.5??? do you know what to do

RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 08-08-2007 at 05:13 AM

It should do, just try it and see if the reg file works.

RE: Contacts problem by Ruski on 10-25-2007 at 08:13 PM

I hope this is the right thread, but I have a problem, or rather a question.

I'm getting really a lot of "invites" from people who have added me as they contact. If I don't use Messenger for a week, I have about 70 - 100 people who added me in their list.

I'm absolutelly very very irritated if I have to click NO on every single contact.

Is there any easier way to block any contacts to start with? I just don't want to put everybody by default in the block list, without my intervention.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

PS: I'm using Live Messenger 8.1

RE: Contacts problem by *Saint* on 10-25-2007 at 08:25 PM

You can uncheck the box (Alert people who have added me to their lists), if all others is in the left (Allow) list.
The will not be on your block with using that method.

[Image: 35811571bh2.jpg]

RE: Contacts problem by Ruski on 10-25-2007 at 08:40 PM

Thanks man. I did not know you could do that, because it was locked. And that was because the first box (only people on my allow list can see my status ...) was checked. I thought that needed to be checked.

Thanks again.

RE: RE: Contacts problem by Zoidy on 10-26-2007 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jonn
Firstly,

Only shared folder was there, and i did delete it. It has NOT worked. I didn't have this error which you describe. It actually signs me right in and then says Dont Send And Send error like that. It actually does get to the Main MSN Menu thing. But then says Not Responding.

Please Help.

Could you take a few screen shots of the actual error messages etc so I have a better idea on whats going on?
RE: Contacts problem by eft_bad on 03-23-2010 at 03:53 PM

i have a second messenger id which doesn't work..it a appears an error 80048823, i think i followed correctly all the instruction you mensioned before and i deleted shared fie from regedit.exe, but the same problem still exists..what should i do now
reply as soon as possible,
                 THANKS A LOT