Shoutbox

My MSN is all broked. Login issue. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. (/showthread.php?tid=67262)

My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Krelina on 10-13-2006 at 09:42 AM

Well, for some reason, it appears I can no longer log in through live. But Windows Messenger works. I screw around with it a little. Just for kicks, I try logging in with an old hotmail e-mail account I had.. And it works. On live.
So, I can login to windows messenger with an account, but it won't login to MSN live. And my hotmail account will work on live. So live isn't broken. Just live+my non hotmail accounts. The account was verified. I've been using it for over a year. I even made a new one just to try. Only the old hotmail account can login to MSN live. My friends can login to live with their @gmail accounts, but I cannot.

It just sits there signing in, and signing in, and a few hours later, it finally gets bored of trying to sign in and gives me an 81000323 error. Which, according to every site I've seen, has something to do with windows messenger being open, but it wasn't. Not til I couldn't get live to work anymore, anyways. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling live. Removed Messenger plus even. I even tried to sell my soul. Nothing has worked. It's been going on for a couple of days. It's not a firewall issue, it seems to be specific to non-hotmail accounts, or at least @gmail.com accounts. But my friends, who also use @gmail.com logins, are on and fine. I'm a tad confused and any insight would be helpful.

Edit: I almost forgot. Connection test goes through fine, too. On WLM.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Felu on 10-13-2006 at 09:48 AM

See Sunshine's reply to error code 81000323

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Krelina on 10-13-2006 at 10:10 AM

o.o I did a search of the boards for 81000323 and nothing came up. Thanks.^^;

But that's not the problem.. 1.) This is the only PC I use, and I'm 99.9% positive I don't have any viruses. 2.) It's affecting a brand new account I just made to test it. It only logs in when I use hotmail accounts. Which is why I find it weird.

Update:
Okay, apparently the 81000323 error code *ONLY* appears when I use Windows messenger.
What happens:
I open WLM. I start logging in. It just sits there with the MSN people spinning. It will sit there and spin for 8 hours. I left it on trying to sign in while I slept last night. It never signs in. I get annoyed. Open Windows messenger. Logs in fine. WLM returns an error code right then, of 8100323, because Windows Messenger just kicked it off. I try WLM again.. It kicks Windows Messenger off. The people spin for hours and it says it's signing in. So, it appears it *IS* signing in and connecting, because it's forcing Windows Messenger offline. I close Windows Messenger, and WLM still sits there signing in for hours. What *APPEARS* to be happening, is the WLM is logging in, but not getting the message that it logged in. Unless I use a hotmail account.

Just to clarify, the 81000323 code was my own error, that's not the real problem. The real problem is WLM will not progress past the signing in phase, despite connecting and logging into the service.
RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by ManicVJ on 10-14-2006 at 12:42 AM

Krelina I have the exact same problem, to everyone on the forums I can say the exact same thing about my connection and the testing.

Everything is set up correctly, all firewalls are fine. And it will literally sit there signing in, forever. It also seems that it WILL work with hotmail accounts like was said, as iv'e tested that, so that eliminates all connection problems with Live, as it does still work with a Hotmail passport, just not the Custom ones, like gmail for instance.
Also I have tested my account, which is a gmail passport, in Windows Messenger, and it signs in and works fine.

Interestingly though, if I am signed in on Windows Messenger, and then attempt to sign in with the same account on Live, it will sign me out of Windows Messenger, saying I have logged in somewhere else, but of course all live does is sit there with the dudes spinning around constantly.

I am sure this must be a problem at Microsofts end, has anyone else got the same issue? Would you happen to be in Australia Krelina? Thats where I am posting from.

Just letting you know you arent the only one with the problem.
Hopefully it will be fixed soon, Windows Messenger is....different :P

ManicVJ

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Chris4 on 10-14-2006 at 02:17 AM

That's 3 people I've seem in the past few hours with the same issue.

I think you should contact Windows Live Messenger Support.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by jewelzsweet on 10-14-2006 at 02:33 AM

Well, make that 4. Haha.

I signed out earlier. About an hour ago. And needed to sign back on, but i'm getting the "signing in" message continually with nothing actually happened. I did send a message to the support services. I'm pretty frustrated. But glad to know i'm not alone.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by matty on 10-14-2006 at 02:38 AM

- download this program Choli's reply to msn6 user id thingy
- enter your email to calculate your messenger id
- goto start > run > type in

code:
%appdata%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger
- press enter
- locate your messenger id and delete the folder (or rename it)

Note: this will delete your emoticons, backgrounds, display pictures, etc.

If you still cant login then simply rename the folder back or restore it from your recycle bin.
RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Krelina on 10-14-2006 at 03:30 AM

Found the correct folder and moved it out.. Positive it was the correct one, as the folder was re-created when I attempted to login. Still unable to connect. Thanks, Matty.^^ But that doesn't seem to fix this problem. :( I don't think any local files need to be changed. It's not an account specific file, it seems to be passport type specific. I created a brand new gmail account, created it as a passport, activated it, and still can't use WLM with it. Only Windows Messenger. Hotmail passports can still use WLM fine, though. Just sent it to Microsoft's support. See what they make of it.

And nope! Don't live in Australia, unfortunately. I live in the US.^^

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by ManicVJ on 10-14-2006 at 04:19 AM

Still not working, damn MSN, must be a little bug or something, surprised more aren't replying to this.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Krelina on 10-14-2006 at 06:16 AM

Still no response from microsoft.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by ManicVJ on 10-14-2006 at 06:24 AM

Still jeez, have you tried it recently? Make sure you post when you hear something man.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Victoria on 10-14-2006 at 07:23 AM

I've found some people in a Messenger discussion group who seem to be having the same problem as you guys.
There was a fix posted that worked for all who had posted with the problem, so it may work for you too:

1. Hit "run" in the start menu
2. Type "regedit"
3. Open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger"
4. Delete the folder called MSN Messenger
5. After this MSN Messenger Live will login as normal.

or...

If you're not comfortable editing the registry, you can run this small reg. file posted by Jonathan Kay [MVP] which does the same thing as posted above:
Remove Messenger Settings

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by ManicVJ on 10-14-2006 at 08:24 AM

Success!!! Go for it Krelina, just make sure Live is exited and you are logged out of Passport and Windows Messenger before running the small file Victoria posted. (Remove Messenger Settings) in the above post.

Thankyou so much Victoria! :D

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Victoria on 10-14-2006 at 08:37 AM

No problem :)

Just out of interest, did you guys download and install the latest windows updates over the past few days? It seems that all the people who had posted with this problem had done just that and one person found that restoring to a date before installation of the updates, allowed them to sign in to WLM again.
So it is possible that one or more of windows updates is having an effect on whether some people can sign in or not.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by ManicVJ on 10-14-2006 at 08:41 AM

Yes thats exactly the case, I have now helped 3 of my friends reconnect again with Live.

Once again thankyou, and I hope someone posts a letter back from Microsoft, about what they say. Microsoft hasn't really said a thing so far from what I can tell. I mean how many people would still be in the dark?!?

Seeya,
ManicVJ

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by vaccination on 10-14-2006 at 08:58 AM

I believe MS know about the sign in issue, there was something posted on their blog. Or was that a different issue?

http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5B4...30829E!22246.entry

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Krelina on 10-14-2006 at 09:29 AM

Odd. I never updated anything. o.o But it is working now.^^ Thanks a ton, Victoria.^^

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by sevencoya on 10-15-2006 at 05:04 AM

I just signed up for this forum to say thank you, i've been struggling with this problem all day. Thank you

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by stacichu on 10-16-2006 at 08:24 PM

Thankfully, I stumbled upon this forum! I have the EXACT same problem as Krelina. And now that I read Victoria's post, I think it's the latest windows update. Two nights ago, I restarted the pc to install the updates and after that, MSN wasn't working anymore. So, I'll try a system restore and get back to you guys.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Sunshine on 10-16-2006 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stacichu
Thankfully, I stumbled upon this forum! I have the EXACT same problem as Krelina. And now that I read Victoria's post, I think it's the latest windows update. Two nights ago, I restarted the pc to install the updates and after that, MSN wasn't working anymore. So, I'll try a system restore and get back to you guys.
Don't do a sysrestore, use the reg file posted by Victoria instead. I very much doubt its the update at fault..if that was so many many more would have the same problem. By doing a sysrestore you are turning back stuff you shouldn't and are putting your computer at risk as you are reversing important security updates.
RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by stacichu on 10-16-2006 at 09:44 PM

I already did the system restore but that didn't help. However, I uninstalled Windows Live and installed 7.5, and I'm able to sign in. But I prefer using Windows Live so I reinstalled it..

I tried the reg file, but I'm not sure if I was doing the right thing. I did delete a MSNMessenger folder though..

Still isn't working.

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by SorrowLane on 10-17-2006 at 10:55 AM

I did this but I can't add somebody to my contacts. He doesn't receive the application.
Please help me :(

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Victoria on 10-17-2006 at 11:26 AM

Please read: Victoria's reply to MSN not signing in :)

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by SorrowLane on 10-17-2006 at 12:00 PM

I uninstall everything (Live Mess and Live Plus!), delete the registry keys and the cache folders, install everything again (Live Mess, MessPatch and Live Plus!). And now it works.
But, Victoria I love U (for help us to resolve this problem).

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by rachidnl on 10-17-2006 at 07:15 PM

Hey guys, just stumbled on this thread through Google. I've got the same problem. I thought it simply had something to do with my account, but appearently it really could be because I have a non-hotmail passport, just like you guys.

I'm now using Web Messenger. Can't think of any solution..

Cheers!

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by garym71 on 10-17-2006 at 07:46 PM

Nice one Victoria!! (Y) I'm an IT tekkie and even I was pulling my hair out over this one :S

I knew it wasn't an ISP or MSN Service problem as it worked fine on my laptop through the same router and broadband connection. It only started happening a few days ago and I have no idea why as I've not installed any updates to WLM *-) I guess I'll never know but at least I now know how to fix it if it does happen again.

Thanks again...you're a (*)

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by fatworm2000 on 10-17-2006 at 11:54 PM

Thanks for the fix. I have been struggling with this all day (and am up far too late at night!) but the registry fix worked great for me. Maybe the kids will start talking to me again - everyone was convinced it was something I had done.  Apparently not (other than apply some ms updates and then reboot!) Thanks again!

RE: My MSN is all broked. Login issue. by Hobojangles on 03-01-2007 at 11:59 AM

I have a similar issue.

I've tried everything posted ont he first 2 pages (i haven't looked at the 3rd yet, i was expecting it to be a list of thanks) and nothing has worked.

I have exactly the same symptoms as everyone else, it's only the one account that won't log in on Live, any other account will login on Live, i can log in with the account on default messenger, i can check emails and everything, jsut not log in while using Live.

The one difference between my problem and those described by others is that, mine comes up with the error after about 5 seconds (the average amount of time taken to log in on any other account) and the "Hobojangles is now online" tihng pops up on other peoples PC's a few seconds after it errors. When troubleshooting it's all ticks, but it still doesnt work, the methods described by Victoria that work for everyone don;t work for me.

This sucks :cry: