Shoutbox

Cant sign in, and no error code - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Cant sign in, and no error code (/showthread.php?tid=67326)

Cant sign in, and no error code by N30N_F15H on 10-15-2006 at 02:59 AM

last night i tried to send a voice clip , and when i clicked the play button msn crashed. now when i try to sign into my email it just keeps saying signing in, but doesnt stop. i can sign into it from windows messenger, and i can also use other email addresses on WLM, only my account is having problems.
help on this would be great.
i have also uninstalled both wlm and mp! and reinstalled them, also trying without plus installed. still didnt work.

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by Chris4 on 10-15-2006 at 03:14 AM

Exit Messenger and try this:

Download and run this file: Remove Messenger Settings, which was made by Jonathan Kay [MVP].

or do it yourself (advanced)...

1. Go to Start > Run
2. Type in regedit and press enter
3. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger"
4. Delete the folder called MSNMessenger

After this Windows Live Messenger will login as normal.

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by N30N_F15H on 10-15-2006 at 03:36 AM

thanks mate. worked like a charm.
just had to set everything back, but no biggy.

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by bleedingskull on 10-17-2006 at 04:19 AM

it doesnt work with mine.... looks like a brand new msn but still have the ssame issue :(

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by MOTOS on 10-17-2006 at 06:42 AM

i get stuck at signing in too, i did wat u said and it dont work, when its stuck at signing in it alerts me whne i get emails and everything, it just wont load contact list or let people msg me.

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by jdunlap on 10-17-2006 at 09:52 AM

I'm getting the same thing: a sign-in that never ends. I tried the fixes mentioned in this thread and the others on the top page of this forum, and even uninstalled and reinstalled, and did a system restore to a date when it was known to be working, but no luck! I miss my WLM+Plus Live! :'(

The WLM connection tester says "Your machine appears to have an invalid IP address" but I've gone over all my network settings, and even tried alternate settings with no success. Skype, Windows Messenger (the one that comes with Windows), Google Talk, Grouper, Groove, and Yahoo all work fine.

I am behind only a hardware firewall that I have been using for years and have never had problems with before. No Antivirus auto-protect is running, but I scanned with AVG after the problem started happening just in case it might find something. I have not changed any WLM or Plus settings in at least the last week, nor installed anything new except a Firefox plugin (Firebug).

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by jdunlap on 10-18-2006 at 04:20 AM

OK.. so the problem fixed itself! Couldn't sign in last night, but then this morning I could sign in just fine, even though I hadn't done anything new. :S Probably some kind of server problem that affected only WLM. Yay, WLM and Plus Live are back! :D

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by vid_88 on 10-18-2006 at 11:49 AM

I have the same problem. I can't login, the little men just keep spinning.

I e-mailed support about this and they were helpful but as yet we haven't figured out what's wrong. They've asked me to re-install and do a system restore, both of which aren't working.

When I use the registry fix and open WLM I put in my password and user name and it produces the following error:

Signing into Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Error code: 81000395

This is the first error code i've been able to produce.. but then as soon as I try and sign in again, the same problem occurs - men just keep spinning but nothing happens!

I've checked the service status and everything is running fine.

Oh also if I re-apply the registry fix, the same thing happens. First time I login it gives that error, then it just won't login.

Other people can login fine using my WLM. I can also sign in on any other computer but my own!

Using Windows XP SP2.

Scratch that. I re-registered some DLL's after finding a post through google, and all seems to be going fine! :)

vid
RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by CookieRevised on 10-18-2006 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Exit Messenger and try this:

Download and run this file: Remove Messenger Settings, which was made by Jonathan Kay [MVP].

or do it yourself (advanced)...

1. Go to Start > Run
2. Type in regedit and press enter
3. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger"
4. Delete the folder called MSNMessenger

After this Windows Live Messenger will login as normal.

This fix is not specifically for the signin problems people are having lately, see below.

quote:
Originally posted by vid_88
They've asked me to re-install and do a system restore, both of which aren't working.
Do not do a system restore!
System restore causes more harm than anything good.

The only time you can safely do a system restore to fix a program is if you made a system restore point right after you installed that program, and didn't installed anything else afterwards like Windows updates and fixes, and you didn't changed any settings in Windows.

System restore is not a magic program backup tool or fixing tool, it should only be used in critical times when Windows doesn't even run properly anymore or in severe situations like a massive virus attack or whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by vid_88
Scratch that. I re-registered some DLL's after finding a post through google, and all seems to be going fine! :)
doubtfull it had something todo with that. You needing to re-register some DLLs might well be because of your system restore, nothing more. And if you didn't do a system restore, chances are the problem would have been solved anyways as in your case it might have been a server problem (which was fixed last night). Something you can't do anything about it.

What the system restore also might have done is removing the cached handshaking policies and fixing the problem that way. But with the system restore you also introduced many other problems (the DLLs). More info, see below.

All in all, reregistering the DLLs and/or doing the system restore is not a fix for this.

----------

For people who have trouble signing in lately (and still can't sign in today), read:

CookieRevised's reply to Contacts problem
Cant sign in, and no error code by undefeated on 10-18-2006 at 08:03 PM

I just downloaded the msn messenger 8.0 and when i sign in it says: signing in...but i wait 10 minutes and no thingy tingy!!I used the msn 7.5....i've tolken to my friend and he sayd that i have to activete my e-mail.....but he doest knows in which site!!!can u guys help me????

Sorry if i wrote something wrong...(i am portuguese)*-)

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by CookieRevised on 10-18-2006 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For people who have trouble signing in lately (and still can't sign in today), read:

CookieRevised's reply to Contacts problem

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by AnotherError on 10-27-2006 at 10:03 AM

CookieRevised, I'm sure your information is very helpful to people having trouble with their contacts, but that isn't my problem. I did,though, download and and run you regedit program, however i still can't sign in. the error messgage i'm getting is

Error code: 80048820
Extended Error Code: 80048401

This error, and me not being able to sign in, started just after my windows live crashed,i was asked to send an error repor,but i didn't. Now when i try to sign in, i get those error codes.I've tried using the troubleshoot option,and tried fixing the problem many,many times. At first, it seemed the problem had something to do with the key ports, i tried uninstalling, then reinstalling, but then clicking on troubleshoot, the problem had changed to ''it seems your computer has an invalid IP adress'' So i searched the forums, and tried some information people had given,like repairing my internet connection (although it didn't need it) i checked my internet connection thoroughly,and everything seems fine there.I even tried downloading the earler, msn 7.5 in hope that windows live was having problems. But no luck, the same error came up. I'd really like some help,if anyone has had the same problem,please can you offer a fix...
thanks.

EDIT: Just thought i'd add, some people said they're able to sign in with other accounts.. i can't. Any account i try to sign in with, the same error codes come up. I have no idea what to do. Oh and i tried getting a new account, but for some reason,the page wouldn't display. Tried refreshing,but no luck. Other internet pages load fine though. heres a screenshot of the problem.

RE: Cant sign in, and no error code by AnotherError on 10-27-2006 at 07:08 PM

Well,it seems the problems fixed for now, i did a system restore to yesterday,when it was working just fine.When i tried to open windows live first,an error message appeared, urging me to uninstall,then reinstall.. so i did and everything works fine now. :)