Shoutbox

Disk Unit and XP Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Disk Unit and XP Problem (/showthread.php?tid=67366)

Disk Unit and XP Problem by DarkMe on 10-16-2006 at 12:41 AM

I have Vista, since it has a few bugs, i decided to uninstall it, so i have my WinXP cd, i reboot and the program start to scan my hardware conf, when it finished an error message appears saying "There is no unit disk, the installation will exit"

I want my WinXP back :'(

what causes this?
shoul i format in order to install XP?

RE: Disk Unit and XP Problem by matty on 10-16-2006 at 03:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarkMe
shoul i format in order to install XP?
Yes, having reminence of another O/S is not a good idea. Its not even a good idea to upgrade from one to another becuase of the system files for each etc.
RE: Disk Unit and XP Problem by DarkMe on 10-16-2006 at 04:11 AM

I know i have to format it with a boot file form a cd or diskete, but all the programs i find, have to pay to use them, anyone free?

thanks in advance

RE: Disk Unit and XP Problem by ddunk on 10-16-2006 at 04:13 AM

Your XP install CD can format for you. Just boot with it and follow the steps to install XP and it'll eventually reach a formatting step.

RE: Disk Unit and XP Problem by DarkMe on 10-16-2006 at 04:19 AM

But before it reaches a formatting step an error message says that i dont have disk unit, so i think i've to format manually

RE: Disk Unit and XP Problem by ddunk on 10-16-2006 at 04:23 AM

Oh, sorry. Are you using SATA hard drives? If so, you'll need to get the SATA RAID drivers for your motherboard (either from a disk that came with the motherboard or from the manufacturers' website) and install those when it asks at the very start of the windows installation.

RE: Disk Unit and XP Problem by DarkMe on 10-16-2006 at 04:26 AM

ok, i didnt knew that, and yeh i use sata and i have an asrock cd from my motherboard, but what option will do it?

RE: Disk Unit and XP Problem by Adeptus on 10-16-2006 at 05:36 AM

You will need to find the driver on the CD or download it.  Either way, you are going to have to get it on a floppy disk first, as that (unfortunately) is the only medium XP setup supports for third party storage drivers.  This type of driver typically comes as an executable you can run on any Windows computer, which prompts you to insert a floppy, formats it and puts the files on it. 

You will then look for a prompt early in the setup process that says something like "Press F6 to load third party storage driver".  You will do that, insert your floppy, then select the correct driver from the list (usually there will be only one choice).

I hope your computer has a floppy drive -- if not, you will need to find one somewhere you can use temporarily.