Shoutbox

Custom Nicknames? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Custom Nicknames? (/showthread.php?tid=67401)

Custom Nicknames? by 0MG. on 10-17-2006 at 12:11 AM

Before downloading Messenger Plus LIVE, I had names that used letters that were special alt codes. Now that I downloaded Messenger Plus LIVE, my letters have now turned into something along the lines of "@$%@!$%!" Same with the names of my other friends that have the same type of letters as me. Is there any way to fix this, or is it just because of my computer. If so, is there any way to adjust my computer so I can use those letters?

Thank you for your help :)

RE: Custom Nicknames? by user27089 on 10-17-2006 at 07:10 AM

Messenger Plus! Live no longer has the custom nicknames feature, but if you right-click any person and press "Edit Nickname" then you can change their name, use the ctrl+r or the mybb codes to change their name styles.

Go to Plus! > Preferences > Customize! > Main, to change the way you need to input these styles.

RE: Custom Nicknames? by rajvora on 10-31-2006 at 01:33 PM

wont that change the nickname forever and then when the person changes their nick.. it does not get updated

RE: Custom Nicknames? by RaceProUK on 10-31-2006 at 10:41 PM

The WLM Nickname feature 'masks' the display name (which I personally find annoying).

As for the original problem, try this:
Control Panel (Classic View) > Regional and Language Settings > Languages > Check everything > Hit OK > Insert Windows CD when prompted.

RE: RE: Custom Nicknames? by dhutch on 11-01-2006 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
The WLM Nickname feature 'masks' the display name (which I personally find annoying).
So is it not possable to select if it masks the origanal display name, like it was in prevus versions of Messenger Plus?

What do you mean by "mask" - why the inverted commas?

Daniel
RE: Custom Nicknames? by Supersonicdarky on 11-01-2006 at 06:34 PM

it "masks" the nick because it changes it everywhere, unlike plus! which just changed it in the contact list so you could see their real nick in the convo and elsewhere. And you can remove it by setting the nickname to nothing

RE: Custom Nicknames? by dhutch on 11-01-2006 at 07:42 PM

Ahhhhhhh...
- Bit the bullet and when for it.

I can see what you mean, its actually physcaly impossable to see there orignal screen name anywhere once you;ve renamed them. what a mistake!!

Just noticed, that...

It actauuly displays the full, origanal,  screenname in the tab of a tabbed convsation window!

How ironic is that.
- In a tiny tab, where theres no room, it shows the whole long name.
- And then in the main window, where theres almost infinate room, it only shows the nickname!!

GRRRRR

Daniel
RE: Custom Nicknames? by Supersonicdarky on 11-01-2006 at 10:18 PM

it shows in tab because its plus!, if you dont have plus! installed there is hardly anywhere you can find the original nick

RE: Custom Nicknames? by RaceProUK on 11-02-2006 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
It actauuly displays the full, origanal,  screenname in the tab of a tabbed convsation window!
Only because Patchou doesn't have program-side access to the nicknames yet ;)
RE: Custom Nicknames? by FFFLAVOUR on 11-05-2006 at 11:31 AM

Helllo!!

I was devastated when I couldnt see all my nicknames in messenger live!! I tried to adjust to not seeing the users ids when adding a nckname in live but its just not right!

People are writing nicknames for themselves so other people know what their thinknig there and then at that time!

When we mask that by adding a nickname isnt right :(

Soooo I had no option been using MSN Live for months but i've now just gone back to msn 7.5 and Messenger Plus 3

Is therrree anyway at all to transfer the nicknames i have in Messenger Plus 3 too msn live????

Its great that Messenger Plus doesnt remove the previous version ! so glad i still have my old nicknames stored here

Yeah soooo can i trasnfer these nicknames to live??
thank you!

RE: Custom Nicknames? by dhutch on 11-18-2006 at 11:21 PM

Yeah, its lame isnt it.
- Hopefully it will be corrected in next major build?

RE: Custom Nicknames? by RaceProUK on 11-19-2006 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FFFLAVOUR
Yeah soooo can i trasnfer these nicknames to live??
'Fraid not, unless Patchou provides a way.