Shoutbox

Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? (/showthread.php?tid=67416)

Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by saralk on 10-17-2006 at 04:30 PM

A few weeks ago, I was in a tube station down in London, and I saw an advert that invited me to turn my bluetooth on. I turned it on, but then found out I was in the wrong station so I had to leave before I found out what was about to happen. I assume that I would be sent a video, or a picture or something.

That got me thinking. We all know the Zunes have the ability to send music files to each other wirelessly. So if Microsoft is thinking smart, they'll license this technology out to record labels, who will use it to invite users on public transport to turn on their Zune wireless thing in order to be sent the whole of an upcoming album, which they'll be able to play only 3 times, and then they can buy it from the Zune Marketplace when they get home.

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by foaly on 10-17-2006 at 04:44 PM

the Zune system can only send with a protection that let you play the song 3 times...
people probably won't pay for mp3's they can just play 3 times...

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by absorbation on 10-17-2006 at 04:44 PM

Maybe in England, internationally media companies would be against this kind of idea. Nice concept, it really depends how the Zune catches on :P

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by Thor on 10-17-2006 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
the Zune system can only send with a protection that let you play the song 3 times...
You get an mp3 for free, like a trial. Afterwords you buy it if you liked it.
RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by saralk on 10-17-2006 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly

yeah thats the point, while on a bus, they'll get sent the whole album for free, but they can only play it three times. And then when they get home, they can purchase it instantly.
RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by Lourix on 10-17-2006 at 05:49 PM

I think that has let the Zune down only being allowed to play another person's song 3 times.

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by Nathan on 10-17-2006 at 05:51 PM

i think it should be - about 10 times ;)
that way you can listen to it a good few times :)

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by MeEtc on 10-17-2006 at 06:10 PM

well, it probably won't be a mp3 file to do that, you'll need another file format that has a license built in to it.

I like the idea however, but you won't catch me paying to download anything

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by Nathan on 10-17-2006 at 06:19 PM

The file format is going to wma i think.
I think it converts it before it sends .

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by user27089 on 10-17-2006 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
I think that has let the Zune down only being allowed to play another person's song 3 times.

Well they can't allow people to be distributing songs illegally can they, it hasn't let anything down, that's just you wishing that everything was free.

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
well, it probably won't be a mp3 file to do that, you'll need another file format that has a license built in to it.

I think the cost of digital music will dramatically decrease in the next few years.
RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by vaccination on 10-17-2006 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc

Same here :P
RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by Pyroteq on 10-18-2006 at 06:20 AM

Basically any windows-related media product annoys the shitter out of me.. Take for instance:
Windows Media Centre Edition and the xbox 360:
I can only send wmv's and mpg's to the tv, when the whole of my media is in an avi format that i have to convert.

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by user27089 on 10-18-2006 at 06:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyroteq
Basically any windows-related media product annoys the shitter out of me.. Take for instance:
Windows Media Centre Edition and the xbox 360:
I can only send wmv's and mpg's to the tv, when the whole of my media is in an avi format that i have to convert.

Any product is going to be restricted in one way or another, the ipod is just as bad. You have to convert the videos to .mp4 format before you can play it on your ipod, that takes quite a long time if you want to convert a video.
RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by Pyroteq on 10-18-2006 at 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

Any product is going to be restricted in one way or another, the ipod is just as bad. You have to convert the videos to .mp4 format before you can play it on your ipod, that takes quite a long time if you want to convert a video.

I see your point but to me that makes sense- smaller device, smaller filesize.. whereas i know that WMC and the xbox would be more than capable of playing an AVI file.

If anyone reads this, just fyi:
To convert videos both for the ipod and xbox 360, Videora Ipod and Videora Xbox360 converters are excellent, free conversion tools.
WinAVI is also a good one.
RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by rav0 on 10-18-2006 at 11:16 AM

The Zune "three" restriction is being incorrectly reported a lot. The three days/plays is only for Zune encrypted DRM files. Your own made stuff (that I expect you won't encrypt) doesn't have the "three" restriction.

I think that the sampling idea is cool. This way, people can find songs to buy more easily, and MAFIAA can stop their bitching that new products stealzors their cashzorz.

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by MeEtc on 10-18-2006 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Another problem with that is getting the right codec. To the best of my knowledge, there are hundreds of different compression codecs out there for AVI files, whereas an MPEG type file uses a standard codec.

someone correct me if I'm wrong
RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by MC Inferno on 10-18-2006 at 08:21 PM

They Could jus give a 30 sec clip or sumthin.

RE: Microsoft Zune - Secret gold mine? by rav0 on 10-19-2006 at 07:25 AM

I doubt a 30 second clip would be very persuasive for people to but the music. Having a whole album might be better (remember that it expires) to enourage people to buy it, I'm not big on buying music though.