Shoutbox

Does love really conquer all? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Does love really conquer all? (/showthread.php?tid=67427)

Does love really conquer all? by Aeryn on 10-17-2006 at 09:32 PM

Do you believe that true love between two people is all that takes to be able to defeat the problems that may occur in a relationship (and also in other areas of life)? Or is love sometimes not enough?

My own reasoning is that love makes you want to commit to another person and find a way to overcome any obstacle that might come your way, so that way, love is a powerful motivation and one might say it does conquer all.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by Chris4 on 10-17-2006 at 09:38 PM

Yeah, I think that if you are truely in love with someone, you will want to find a way to 'overcome any obstacle that might come your way'.

But then again, what if they cheated on you? Would you try and overcome that? Depends really..

RE: Does love really conquer all? by GiantSpider on 10-17-2006 at 09:39 PM

Don't get me wrong, I believe love can overcome most obsticles & whatever. But there are some times when, even if people love each, it's not enough. Do you ever stop loving someone, sometimes it just doesn't work. You love them still & they love you, but it just doesn't work.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by Tasha on 10-17-2006 at 10:03 PM

mmm, I think true love does conquer all, tbh.
When two people truly love eachother, they will work through everything together, because their love means so much they can't let it go.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by LoochTheMan on 10-17-2006 at 11:45 PM

I think that love does comsume you fully, mainly because i just finished reading a world lit. book on Buddhism (Siddhartha by Herman Hiss). Interesting to see what different religions have to say about the importance of love and being in personal solitude.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by Panachiba on 10-17-2006 at 11:59 PM

is not like a movie..
But i think the love just give you strength for overcome all type of problems, but sometimes that is not sufficient.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by qgroessl on 10-18-2006 at 12:32 AM

True love conquers all.... :p most definately... There's not a thing that can come between it (besides sickness/death)

RE: Does love really conquer all? by alexp2_ad on 10-18-2006 at 01:53 AM

True love conquers all... or to put it in geek:

Love > * > j00

RE: Does love really conquer all? by Joa on 10-18-2006 at 03:42 AM

yeah, i think so. if both of the people love eachother the same way...

RE: Does love really conquer all? by Chrono on 10-18-2006 at 04:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Do you believe that true love between two people is all that takes to be able to defeat the problems that may occur in a relationship (and also in other areas of life)? Or is love sometimes not enough?

My own reasoning is that love makes you want to commit to another person and find a way to overcome any obstacle that might come your way, so that way, love is a powerful motivation and one might say it does conquer all.
yeah i think it does, if both people love each other in a strong way. The problem's precisely that love is such a subjective thing that it's hard to say whether you are in love or not, even worse, how do you know if you're in love if you've never been before? But wait, maybe you WERE in love but you just didnt realize, or didnt know or couldnt figure out that what you were feeling was really love.

For once, i could say that i love a girl and even if the girl feels the exact same way, it's up to her to believe if she's in love or not, the "standard" could be different.

Sooooooo, i think that love IS strong enough to beat any kind of problems. The issue is to know whether both people really love each other or not.
RE: Does love really conquer all? by Weyzza on 10-18-2006 at 04:35 AM

In my opinion, love between humans are always going to be subjective.
Heck, I often read news from third world countries in which someone made an underage girl pregnant because "they loved each other" or someone raped another person based on "love."
That's why I agree when someone says it depends on how you interpret love.

There's no greater love than someone who lays down his life for his friends with no expectation of getting a return.

By the way, why do we always have this kind of thread in spring and fall seasons? :p
Love is in the air on Earth's southern hemisphere? :p

RE: Does love really conquer all? by haydos on 10-18-2006 at 05:23 PM

Well love can't conquer all sometimes so I decided against the middle option... I feel I'd sway more towards the rediculous option rather than yes, and I think the following summed it up in a beautifully presented grammatical sense :P

quote:
Originally posted by Panachiba
is not like a movie..

Yes, love can conquer sometimes, but I guess I'm just rough at heart because I think there's a lot of cases where it won't...

RE: Does love really conquer all? by John Anderton on 10-18-2006 at 05:31 PM

I'd like to believe it does but im sure there are some situations when it doesnt, unfortunately. Being the hopeless romantic I am, ill still vote for Yes :P

RE: Does love really conquer all? by CookieRevised on 10-18-2006 at 05:34 PM

haydn, my thoughts exactly...
(though I would call it more being 'realistic', than being 'rough at heart')

So, despite what definition you give to "love", it may be the biggest and truly meant love in the world, it can't always conquer everything... that is: in real life.

---

That also doesn't mean you're not a romanticus though, you can perfectly be a romanticus and yet knowing that the romance can one day end in tragedy. In fact, knowing that it could end can make you even a bigger romanticus: living and experiencing the love in its fullest as long as possible...*

* To end: this is not nessecairly the end between the love between two people. Two people can still love eachother to the fullest, yet outsides situations which they can't do much about it could demand they wont be together.

Even the biggest romances can end in tragedy.... perfect example: Romeo & Juliet... They didn't stopped loving eachother or loved eachother less, though they couldn't prevented the dead of the other.

More real-life, but dark, example: Two people can love eachother to the fullest, yet their love wouldn't be able to stop that son-of-a-bitch asshole who shot the other partner.

this indeed says it all:

quote:
Originally posted by Panachiba
its not like a movie..
But i think the love just give you strength for overcome all type of problems, but sometimes that is not sufficient.

-----

as for the original question/thought:
quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Love isn't enough sometimes.... unfortunatly...

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
My thoughts too. But it is indeed 'only' and 'just' a motivation (a strong one though), not something which conquers all by definition.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by Omar on 10-18-2006 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
i agree with this...
RE: Does love really conquer all? by Lourix on 10-18-2006 at 06:19 PM

quote:
mmm, I think true love does conquer all, tbh.
When two people truly love eachother, they will work through everything together, because their love means so much they can't let it go.
Your right.
RE: Does love really conquer all? by user27089 on 10-19-2006 at 07:01 AM

I don't think love can solve as many problems as people think it can, but I think it can help people a lot when they're down etc.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by markee on 10-19-2006 at 08:26 AM

I feel love can brighten up the world for anyone and everyone no matter how big or small.  True love can conquer by far most obstacles but then there is the most widely known love story that had it's problems that its' characters couldn't conquer (I'm talking about Romeo and Juliet if you didn't know).  Imo love conquers anything that can be conquered.

RE: Does love really conquer all? by foaly on 10-19-2006 at 10:13 AM

I don't think love can conquer all...
but in my opinion true love is something mythical so true love can conquer all...
i don't think it exist in the real world though...