Shoutbox

Your views: Animal testing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Your views: Animal testing (/showthread.php?tid=67567)

Your views: Animal testing by absorbation on 10-22-2006 at 01:04 PM

Now this is something which is very controversial. Animal testing is something that is harsh to the animals, but is one animal's life worth 1000's of others? Do you think animals should be tested on? Do you think the cruelty to these animals is OK because they are helping others? And finally, what are you views on animal rights groups, are they going too far and ruining peoples lives?

Express yourself! :P

More on this topic:
> Wikipedia on Animal Testing

Also please tell me your views on animal rights people, their methods, and do you think their cause is right. I'll tell you what I think ...

RE: Your views: Animal testing by foaly on 10-22-2006 at 01:08 PM

Well if I have to choose between testing on me (or any person for htat matter) or testing on an animal I would choose animals...
I don't care about animal right groups aslong as they don't break the law...
I would preffer that they would hurt those animals... but sometimes the cause is worth the sacrefice...

RE: Your views: Animal testing by Tasha on 10-22-2006 at 01:14 PM

I personally, don't much like animal testing. I find it cruel, and I've always wondered why they do it, as wouldn't animals have different reactions to humans? I feel that the people who test animals should test these things on themselves and see how much they like it. Sure, one animals life is worth 1000's of humans lives, but can't you argue that isn't one humans life worth 1000's of others, too? Why are animals considered so different from humans, that it makes it right to test products on them and not on humans?

Animal rights people are okay, so long as they don't start getting right in your face and breaking the law.

Edit: After reading Nitro's post, I have to add, that if it is indeed a dog testing dog food, that isn't a problem, but with things like cosmetics, etc. which the animal isn't going to use, I find it cruel.

RE: Your views: Animal testing by Thor on 10-22-2006 at 01:26 PM

Using animals to test thing really depends on what it's gonna test.

If a dog is supposed to test a new type of dog food, erhhh... I don't see the problem.

If you're gonna use an animal to test chemicals, etc, then I really don't like it.

Animals has feelings, if you hit one, it will feel pain, if you are very kind to it, it will be happy. Animals are diffrent, but yet they have feelings. So do humans. I think that you should think about the animal instead of your dear new product that you want to test on it.

RE: Your views: Animal testing by absorbation on 10-22-2006 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Animal rights people are okay, so long as they don't start getting right in your face and breaking the law.

They are known for death threats amongst scientists and often stealing animals and burning down farms. They are pretty much terrorists. I remember one case people building a new lab had to wear masks to conceal their face from these people, scared of what could happen to them or their family. These people were just builders.

These people oppose violence to animals, but are violent to other humans.
RE: Your views: Animal testing by Tasha on 10-22-2006 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:

They are known for death threats amongst scientists and often stealing animals and burning down farms. They are pretty much terrorists. I remember one case people building a new lab had to wear masks to conceal their face from these people, scared of what could happen to them or their family. These people were just builders.

Well I don't agree with them doing things like that to get points across. But I pretty much don't know much about animal rights people anyway, so I wouldn't have known they go to those extremes.
RE: Your views: Animal testing by Underlord on 10-22-2006 at 02:09 PM

I don't agree with the testing of Botox concentrations on mice so that vain people can feel good about themselves for a few days.
http://www.hsus.org/animals_in_research/animal_te...animals/index.html

RE: Your views: Animal testing by Menthix on 10-22-2006 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
And finally, what are you views on animal rights groups
PETA is bullshit!!
RE: Your views: Animal testing by absorbation on 10-22-2006 at 02:29 PM

There is a Penn & Teller for all my your views threads :P

RE: Your views: Animal testing by saralk on 10-22-2006 at 02:36 PM

I have mixed views. On one hand, it is cruel what they are doing to animals. However, on the other hand, how is testing chemicals on animals different to eating them?

quote:
Why are animals considered so different from humans, that it makes it right to test products on them and not on humans?

Testing it on humans wouldn't actually work. The testing that is done is usually done by changing one variable at a time, and so the animals have to be kept in sterile conditions for long periods of time, which couldn't happen with humans.
RE: Your views: Animal testing by FrozenDaggers on 10-22-2006 at 03:01 PM

It's not fair. The animals have no choice. That really fucking sucks. ;(

RE: Your views: Animal testing by Voldemort on 10-22-2006 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers
It's not fair. The animals have no choice. That really fucking sucks. ;(
end.
RE: Your views: Animal testing by Lourix on 10-22-2006 at 03:35 PM

Its bad the animals have no choice and its cruel enough said.

RE: Your views: Animal testing by Supersonicdarky on 10-22-2006 at 04:00 PM

its ok as long as they test on species of which there are too many (rats?) because it will only better for the planet, but they should start testing on people too because there are too many of them...

RE: Your views: Animal testing by Weyzza on 10-22-2006 at 06:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I have mixed views. On one hand, it is cruel what they are doing to animals. However, on the other hand, how is testing chemicals on animals different to eating them?
I have mixed views, too.
But how are going to test something whose effects towards life beings we really don't know?
Something that might kill a human.

Perhaps we can test it to people on the death row? :p
RE: Your views: Animal testing by saralk on 10-22-2006 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Weyzza
But how are going to test something whose effects towards life beings we really don't know?

Well its been proved that drugs which have been tested on animals are more succesful when used for real.
RE: Your views: Animal testing by user27089 on 10-22-2006 at 06:52 PM

As saral does I have mixed views on this, I don't like the fact that they're using innocent animals for this, but at least the animals are actually serving a purpose for this world, if they weren't going to be tested on they wouldn't exist at all.

So yes I do believe that 1 animal is worth thousands and thousands of human beings being well, if it wasn't for animal testing then we wouldn't be as advanced in medicine as we are today.

Plus, most of the activists against animal testing are idiots, for instance when the mother of an animal tester was dug up and "taken hostage" until they stopped animal testing, now that's just disgusting, it's terrorism.

RE: Your views: Animal testing by Panachiba on 10-22-2006 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
As saral does I have mixed views on this, I don't like the fact that they're using innocent animals for this, but at least the animals are actually serving a purpose for this world, if they weren't going to be tested on they wouldn't exist at all.

So yes I do believe that 1 animal is worth thousands and thousands of human beings being well, if it wasn't for animal testing then we wouldn't be as advanced in medicine as we are today.

that is true, is fine that type of test.
For the evolution of the humanity.

And we (Human :P) are most important than the life of an animal.
RE: Your views: Animal testing by flanders56 on 10-22-2006 at 09:05 PM

what would u rather.. they are unable to find cures for desises, as you are unable to test it on humans... or test these on animals and then find new cures ect..

RE: Your views: Animal testing by WDZ on 10-23-2006 at 06:14 AM

I love animals, but I don't have a problem with animal testing in general. Of course, I'm sure there are some types of testing that I would be opposed to.

Quote: Is one animal's life worth 1000's of others?

Yes.

Quote: Do you think animals should be tested on?

Sure, as long as there's some benefit to it. If it's for a worthless cause, then no.

Quote: Do you think the cruelty to these animals is OK because they are helping others?

Sure, in most cases.

Quote: And finally, what are your views on animal rights groups, are they going too far and ruining peoples lives?

If they fight for causes that I agree with, and remain ethical and lawful and peaceful and respectable, then it's all good.

But usually activist groups just annoy me with all their whining and protesting and disruptiveness. Sometimes I wonder why the hell they care so much, and wish they'd just STFU and forget about it.

Quote (Tasha): I feel that the people who test animals should test these things on themselves and see how much they like it.

Are you kidding? That makes no sense to me.

Quote (Tasha): Why are animals considered so different from humans, that it makes it right to test products on them and not on humans?

Humans control this world. We're at the top of the food chain. We're the most intelligent and resourceful. We have longer lifespans than most animals. We have rights protected by law. And as saralk said, using humans for such testing is unrealistic.

Many animals suffer and die horrible deaths in nature every day (predators, fighting, accidents, diseases, natural disasters, you get the idea) and there's nothing we can do to stop it. Life is rough for wild animals. Does it really matter if these animals are killed by humans instead, especially if they're purpose-bred?

Quote (Weyzza): Perhaps we can test it to people on the death row? :p

Hah. :tongue: Modern death row inmates are executed in very humane ways, such as lethal injection. They don't stop having rights until they're dead... an execution can be called off at the last second.

RE: Your views: Animal testing by haydos on 10-23-2006 at 07:32 AM

As long as it isn't done inhumanely, then I'm not overly fussed with it. If we're willing to eat them, what's wrong with testing products on them? As harsh as it sounds, better a rat than us for testing products.

RE: RE: Your views: Animal testing by Jesus on 10-23-2006 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
If a dog is supposed to test a new type of dog food, erhhh... I don't see the problem.

lol reminds me of Ali G:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_la5XiQJdk&mode=related&search=
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e97o-XNp4w&mode=related&search=
and another one I can't find, was by far the funniest.
In it, Ali asked an animal rights activist the question wether or not she was against animal testing if it concerned a product for animals...
and she just sat there, totally speechless :D
RE: RE: Your views: Animal testing by Weyzza on 10-23-2006 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Quote (Weyzza): Perhaps we can test it to people on the death row? :p

Hah. :tongue: Modern death row inmates are executed in very humane ways, such as lethal injection. They don't stop having rights until they're dead... an execution can be called off at the last second.

I was kidding, WDZ :dodgy: :p

Anyways, I read a news item about how different some animal activists compared to us.
It is the headline of News of the Weird: http://www.startribune.com/389/story/735846.html
RE: Your views: Animal testing by s7a5 on 10-26-2006 at 05:15 AM

quote:
Animal testing, or animal research, refers to the use of non-human animals in experiments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_testing

:rofl: this is just funny
RE: Your views: Animal testing by ddunk on 10-26-2006 at 05:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by s7a5
:rofl: this is just funny
Err, why?
RE: Your views: Animal testing by Nagamasa on 10-26-2006 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

Totally agree!

Well my main reason is because most of the animals that they test with reproduce a lot quicker. For example chickens; a large population of us eats at least an egg everyday, and I dont see we're running out of eggs (maybe the other way around, but not this). Humans reproduce a lot slower and more unwilling to mass reproduce (lol), which most test animals reproduce a lot faster than we do.