Shoutbox

I think I got a virus: "is that u on that photo"? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: I think I got a virus: "is that u on that photo"? (/showthread.php?tid=67576)

I think I got a virus: "is that u on that photo"? by SabuMark on 10-22-2006 at 03:22 PM

I think I got a virus. I got a message that said "is that u on that photo" with a link that went something like lollypictures.

How do you know if you have gotten that virus and is there anyway to remove it? I've asked people if i've sent them messages that said that but so far I haven't.

RE: Virus by Thor on 10-22-2006 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SabuMark

How do you know if you have gotten that virus and is there anyway to remove it? I've asked people if i've sent them messages that said that but so far I haven't.
you could download an anti-virus app.

ie. Avast, free home edition. www.avast.com

There are loads of others, but you might give this one a try
RE: Virus by ins4ne on 10-22-2006 at 03:24 PM

remove the URL in your post!!!

reboot in safe mode and scan your system for viruses.

Avira Antivir

RE: Virus by foaly on 10-22-2006 at 03:25 PM

if you didn't click on that link you don't have the virus...
if you did... you should do a virusscan...

RE: RE: Virus by SabuMark on 10-22-2006 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:

you could download an anti-virus app.

ie. Avast, free home edition. www.avast.com

There are loads of others, but you might give this one a try

Do you think that avast will work?

Also do you think Norton Antivirus Protection will work against the virus, if I now have the virus, which i'm not sure of.

Any signs you got to look out for to see if you have the virus?
RE: Virus by ins4ne on 10-22-2006 at 03:32 PM

do a scan :S then youll see

RE: RE: Virus by SabuMark on 10-22-2006 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne

Is safemode really a must do?
RE: Virus by Lourix on 10-22-2006 at 03:42 PM

It is it won't do any harm, at start up press and hold F8 and go into safe mode. This could be a threat to your system so better be safe then sorry.

RE: Virus by ins4ne on 10-22-2006 at 03:43 PM

not necessarily but its recommended. windows will only boot with needed files and stuff. so the virus (if you got one) will probably dont be 'activated' that way and you can easily remove it :)

RE: RE: Virus by SabuMark on 10-22-2006 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
It is it won't do any harm, at start up press and hold F8 and go into safe mode. This could be a threat to your system so better be safe then sorry.

Okay I will do that. So should I do the virus search with Norton Antivirus or should I do it with avast?
RE: Virus by ins4ne on 10-22-2006 at 05:37 PM

that really doesnt matter. norton sux :P my oppinion. use the av i told you in a previos post

quote:
Avira Antivir

its one of the best i ever had. i use it myself atm. and its free :)
RE: RE: RE: Virus by CookieRevised on 10-22-2006 at 10:54 PM

quote:
quote:

Is safemode really a must do?
to be honest, yes...

If you are infected you do not know with what you're infected. So you can't know in front if Safe Mode is required or not.

In other words, yes it is a must that you immediatly stop all activity in normal mode and boot up in safe mode and to a system wide check and cleanage.

Not to mention that extremely many virusses will actually cripple/disable/fool your virus scanner when you run it in normal mode!!

Even better would be to boot up from another OS if you have one installed and start with that and check your hard disk of the infected OS and clean that out, first. After that boot up in Safe Mode on the infected OS...