Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta released - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta released (/showthread.php?tid=67742)

Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta released by Poska on 10-27-2006 at 03:32 PM

A new build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta will be released on 30Th October on http://get.live.com/.

New features :
- New skin for contact card
- News emoticons and winks
- Our avatar will be hosted on the Microsoft 's servers so, we always will have our avatar on every computer.
- Security update

Sory for my bad english :$.
More on http://www.msncreative.net (french)

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Date release by Salem on 10-27-2006 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Poska
Windows Live Messenger 8.1 will be released on 30Th October on http://get.live.com/.

New features :
- New skin
- News emoticons and winks
- Our avatar will be hosted on the Microsoft 's servers so, we always will have our avatar on every computer.
- Security update

Sory for my bad english :$.
More on http://www.msncreative.net (french but can be translated in english with Voila)

quote:
Originally posted by MSN Creative (Translated by Google)

On October 30, beta of WLM 8.1 will be available on the site of ideas.live.com. The users will be invited by email and via the Msn page to download it today.

This new version will include/understand the following updates:

* New design of the charts of contact, posting of the photographs.
    * The misadventures will be preserved whatever the computer on which the user will be connected.
    * Increased safety.
    * Improved authentification
    * New winks and emoticons
    * Possibility of posting the site where one is in message perso

I wouldn't get excited as yet. I highly doubt WLM 8.1 will see a October 30 release. That is on monday, and personally think there's much more testing to be done.

What it COULD be is that Monday could see a more public beta beginning. But yet again, this is only speculation at this stage. Nothing has been confirmed. But i can almost certainly say that Monday won't be the date when it is Officially released (out of Beta)

~Salem(@)
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Date release by absorbation on 10-27-2006 at 03:59 PM

heaven.fr reported this, they didn't seem to quote their sources. Release dates can create a lot of hype especially as testers have received no new build yet. It would be careless to release an un-tested build.

RE: RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Date release by Salem on 10-27-2006 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
heaven.fr reported this, they didn't seem to quote their sources. Release dates can create a lot of hype especially as testers have received no new build yet. It would be careless to release an un-tested build.

Hm...Heaven also do some of MSNs promotion stuff in the UK (if i'm not mistaken).

But this still doesn't mean it is true though.

~Salem(@)
RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Date release by Menthix on 10-27-2006 at 04:12 PM

The managed 8.1 testers got a newsletter from Microsoft last Monday saying that there will at least be 2 more beta builds (a normal build and one released through automatic update). Niether of these two are released yet, so public release on the 30th is extremely unlikely.

RE: Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Date release by TReKiE on 10-27-2006 at 04:14 PM

If it's releasing on ideas.live.com, it's just going into public beta, not a release :P

Considering this is the "vista version" and Vista will be available to some customers less than a month from now, this doesn't surprise me.

Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Date release by Poska on 10-27-2006 at 04:22 PM

Sorry, i gaved an erroneous information . It will be a new beta build.
I will change my previous post.

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by words06 on 10-27-2006 at 05:44 PM

When is 8.1 realesed (not bete the whole thing)

sorry for spelling

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Jimbo on 10-28-2006 at 09:31 AM

If 8.1 does get released, i hope patchou will release plus Live 4.10 at the same time.
I doubt it will get released on the 30th, but we can hope...

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Chestah on 10-28-2006 at 09:48 AM

I have no doubt the PUBLIC version of WLM 8.1 will not be released on monday. The current beta is far too unstable to be considered an improvement over WLM 8.

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by RebelSean on 10-28-2006 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
I have no doubt the PUBLIC version of WLM 8.1 will not be released on monday. The current beta is far too unstable to be considered an improvement over WLM 8.

They need to fix the freaking laggieness before they release it to the public or they'll have complaints up the ass.
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by ipab on 10-28-2006 at 08:45 PM

quote:
new skin

wtf, is it just me or is that a little strange...

edit:

quote:
* Nouveau design des cartes de contact, affichage des photos.
* Les avatars seront conservés quel que soit l’ordinateur sur lequel l’utilisateur sera connecté.
* Sécurité augmentée.
* Authentification améliorée
* Nouveaux clins d’œil et émoticônes
* Possibilité d'afficher l'emplacement où l'on est en message perso

Wow, don't you love translation errors :).

It's not new skin, it's new contact card design...
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by giken on 10-28-2006 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
The managed 8.1 testers got a newsletter from Microsoft last Monday saying that there will at least be 2 more beta builds (a normal build and one released through automatic update). Niether of these two are released yet, so public release on the 30th is extremely unlikely.

I can confirm, no new builds available at the moment, just newsletter (I'm managed tester)
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by xJ + on 10-29-2006 at 12:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by giken
quote:

I can confirm, no new builds available at the moment, just newsletter (I'm managed tester)
Yes, I can confirm that too. None of the mentioned builds has been released yet as to date. It's merely just a newsletter.
And it's most unlikely that Microsoft will release the public beta on the 30th of Oct. If let's say it's true, managed testers would probably get a refresh build in a few hours time, otherwise, it won't be true. Do note that it will seriously spoil Microsoft's reputation if an extremely buggy beta is release to the public as a public beta. moreover, the current build crashes as and when it likes.
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by RebelSean on 10-29-2006 at 12:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
Do note that it will seriously spoil Microsoft's reputation if an extremely buggy beta is release to the public as a public beta. moreover, the current build crashes as and when it likes.

They've done it before and they'll probably do it again. Look at 8.0 :tongue:.
RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Salem on 10-30-2006 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by words06
When is 8.1 realesed (not bete the whole thing)

sorry for spelling

Rumour has it that they plan to release it before Christmas, but as always this can change at any time.

~Salem(@)
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by x2zen on 10-30-2006 at 01:31 PM

Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta going public tonight

quote:
Originally posted by dwergs at mess.be
French bloggers last week were let in on an exclusive regarding the next 8.1 beta-release and we can indeed confirm their reports that Windows Live Messenger 8.1 will go into Public Beta starting this evening (US time). The new build will be downloadable (as previously announced) by all of you from the official ideas.live.com website. No information on any new features yet, other than the ones we've already covered in the private builds. Anyway, watch this space for more!

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Eddie on 10-30-2006 at 02:36 PM

Gonna be interesting to see what bugs are fixed and "whats new", i might install it for a quick mess around and trial, because i cant be without plus for long :P

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by markee on 10-30-2006 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Gonna be interesting to see what bugs are fixed and "whats new", i might install it for a quick mess around and trial, because i cant be without plus for long [Image: msn_tongue.gif]
Keep a copy of 8.0 as well then.  It's not hard to have both, just do a search I'm sure you will find threads about it when people were changing from 7.5 to 8.0 beta.

Btw, I hope they do make this build more solid than the last, it seemed very limited with the features it added from 8.0 but still was more buggy, you'd think with the time they would have added more than just that imo.
RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Salem on 10-30-2006 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
Gonna be interesting to see what bugs are fixed and "whats new", i might install it for a quick mess around and trial, because i cant be without plus for long [Image: msn_tongue.gif]
Keep a copy of 8.0 as well then.  It's not hard to have both, just do a search I'm sure you will find threads about it when people were changing from 7.5 to 8.0 beta.

Btw, I hope they do make this build more solid than the last, it seemed very limited with the features it added from 8.0 but still was more buggy, you'd think with the time they would have added more than just that imo.

Personally, i'd rather prefer it if they improve the current WLM 8.1 Beta before adding in any new features.

~Salem(@)
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by RaPLeX on 10-30-2006 at 05:03 PM

its going public tonight,we must wait bout 3-4 hours for see whats changes.

RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Salem on 10-30-2006 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaPLeX
its going public tonight,we must wait bout 3-4 hours for see whats changes.

Yes, only time will tell...

~Salem(@)
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Poska on 10-30-2006 at 07:46 PM

Quoting another source, the date of the release has been delayed.. Someone could affirm?

quote:
- "when we release something we will announce it".
- "one thing about MS is that we make many plans and unfortunately those plans can change quickly, that is why it is not good to leak information".

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by RaPLeX on 10-30-2006 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Quoting another source, the date of the release has been delayed.. Someone could affirm?

quote:- "when we release something we will announce it".
    - "one thing about MS is that we make many plans and unfortunately those plans can change quickly, that is why it is not good to leak information".

the page couldnt load

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Menthix on 10-30-2006 at 08:07 PM

http://lapytsh.free.fr/ (typo in your link :))

My French is not that good, I can't make up from Google's translation if their source is a beta program manager or just a beta tester.

It does say however that lapytsh itself doesn't know what to think of the message, so they're not to sure about the source themselves i guess.

I guess we'll find out within 24/48 hours anyway :).

RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Salem on 10-30-2006 at 08:11 PM

quote:

quote:
- "when we release something we will announce it".

Yet another example of why one should rely on "leaked" release date information. As was mentioned before, having today as a release date for a WLM 8.1 Public Beta could change.

I have no info as yet, but will see what i can find out.

~Salem(@)
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Menthix on 10-30-2006 at 09:53 PM

An MS official just commented on the newsgroup for managed beta testers.

He basically said:
- There will indeed be a public beta (confirmed)
- There was an private beta build planned before the public beta will come out, but because MS discovered some more bugs they didn't have the time to release a private beta to managed testers only. So the private build got canceled and the next build the will release will be a public beta.
- He says: "The build that is going out is a major step up from what you've been testing" (so it will be a big improvement from the build that is out now, don't know if he means stability, features or both)

He doesn't confirm the date though. But his reply is in a topic about the same newspost as is discussed here, and he isn't saying the date is wrong either.

RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Salem on 10-30-2006 at 09:58 PM

quote:
An MS official just commented on the newsgroup for managed beta testers.

He basically said:
- There will indeed be a public beta (confirmed)
- There was an private beta build planned before the public beta will come out, but because MS discovered some more bugs they didn't have the time to release a private beta to managed testers only. So the private build got canceled and the next build the will release will be a public beta.
- He says: "The build that is going out is a major step up from what you've been testing" (so it will be a big improvement from the build that is out now, don't know if he means stability, features or both)

He doesn't confirm the date though. But his reply is in a topic about the same newspost as is discussed here, and he isn't saying the date is wrong either.

Im just checked about half an hour ago to see if any new was posted on the newsgroups

*Salem(@) heads over to Newsgroups*

Yes, so it is now officiall, a public Beta WILL begin. The question now is when...will it be with the next couple hours, or in a few weeks?

I really am optimistic about this new build now, as the MS official did say

quote:
Originally posted by MS guy on Private Newsgroups
...is a major step up from what you've been testing...

hopefully i'll be able to use WLM 8.1 properly when the new build is out.

~Salem(@)
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Poska on 10-30-2006 at 11:37 PM

It is available to everybody :d
http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=39014087-6c05-4de9-98ac-b37d7ccd5617

The french were right :)

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by monk on 10-30-2006 at 11:42 PM

MsnCreative is super !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o)
Thanks msncreative, I like you:D:$

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by xJ + on 10-30-2006 at 11:42 PM

Indeed, the public beta is available for everyone. Sign up is needless though.
Don't be too happy, it's still as buggy as usual.

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by BeerBro on 10-30-2006 at 11:46 PM

yup, its out. :D

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by wolfeboy100 on 10-30-2006 at 11:55 PM

ehh i'm still gonna just wait till the new Messenger Plus! Live comes out before i do any updating of my WLM.  I'm making my sister test it out and her computer

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by albert on 10-31-2006 at 12:16 AM

IMHO They should've waited before releasing this. The BETA is still too "bugged".

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Hank on 10-31-2006 at 12:20 AM

agree, still as buggy as usual, wont even allow me to insert a smiley , ..all i noticed they took out the Locations bit

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Jimbo on 10-31-2006 at 07:41 AM

Will plus 4.01 work with this cos if it dont, PATCHOU RELEASE 4.10 lol

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Menthix on 10-31-2006 at 09:37 AM

No Plus! 4.01 won't work with WLM 8.1. Patchou is currently working on Plus! 4.10, but it will take time to get the new version working properly with the new WLM build.

You could stick with WLM 8.1 8.0 for now, because there really aren't much new features in 8.1 compared to 8.0... and it looks like 8.0 is still more stable than 8.1 too.

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Hank on 10-31-2006 at 09:48 AM

not looks like it, it is

RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Salem on 10-31-2006 at 10:07 AM

quote:
...You could stick with WLM 8.1 for now...

Don't you mean WLM 8.0:p

~Salem(@)
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by RaPLeX on 10-31-2006 at 11:56 AM

* RaPLeX need updated plus! again.

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Eddie on 10-31-2006 at 12:47 PM

quote:
* RaPLeX need updated plus! again.
It will come when it comes :) I have downloaded 8.1 but am gonna install both 8.0 and 8.1 later when i can be bothered :\ But from reading this its very buggy so dunno whether worth it.
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by RaPLeX on 10-31-2006 at 01:34 PM

also Poska should rename the thread,cuz 8.1 released. :)

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by BeerBro on 10-31-2006 at 03:06 PM

Where is this so called "show my location" feature anyways?
Is it country specific?

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Goshi on 10-31-2006 at 03:37 PM

No, removed, maybe in the final release.

RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by BeerBro on 10-31-2006 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Goshi
No, removed, maybe in the final release.

ah, alrite
thx
RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Sunshine on 10-31-2006 at 05:08 PM

Make sure you back up your custom content as due to a bug it will/might dissapear when you install 8.1

You can do this with MSN BackUp V1.2.1.

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Zahid™ on 10-31-2006 at 07:54 PM

I'll wait for Mess Patch & Messenger Plus Live to be updated before i update to 8.1.

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by deAd on 10-31-2006 at 10:55 PM

Note that the public build of 8.1 that was just released does not kill your smilies, and any smilies that were "removed" with installation of the last build are restored. (They were never deleted, just not loaded properly :))

RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Hank on 10-31-2006 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BeerBro

Where is this so called "show my location" feature anyways?
Is it country specific?
has been removed due to Bugs in it
RE: RE: New build of Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta : Date release by Poska on 11-01-2006 at 04:17 AM

quote:
also Poska should rename the thread,cuz 8.1 released. :)

Done :)