Shoutbox

Peer-to-peer connection - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Peer-to-peer connection (/showthread.php?tid=67818)

Peer-to-peer connection by p23185 on 10-29-2006 at 04:03 AM

I want to open a high speed connection to transfer a large file between two facilities that both have high speed cable internet from same supplier.  They recommended I use ICQ since it was supposed to offer a direct peer-to-peer capability.  When I set it up and tried it the best tranfer speed I could get was 64K/sec - about the same as I get running the data file through MSM messenger "send file" option, which I am told has to travel through the MSN server.  Anyone know if such a ISP connection is possible?  Both facilities are behind routers but that should not present a problem - the cable service advertises download speed of 7Mbps (but I cannot find the advertised upload speed) but upload has to be faster than 64K/sec.  Both locations use Win XP.

RE: Peer-to-peer connection by ShawnZ on 10-29-2006 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by p23185
Both facilities are behind routers but that should not present a problem

That is the problem. If both computers are behind routers, neither of them will be able to connect to each other (re: port forwarding) and therefore they have to use the IM server to transfer the file. Also, MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger also has the functionality to transfer files directly, but it's having the same problem as ICQ.
RE: Peer-to-peer connection by p23185 on 10-29-2006 at 04:22 AM

Soooo, if no routers and direct connection from the ISP to PC, would it speed up to around 500Kbps?  Actually I recorded 5.9Mbps download and 500Kbps upload using the broadband test, but that was through the router.  ??

RE: RE: Peer-to-peer connection by Vilkku on 10-29-2006 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by p23185
Soooo, if no routers and direct connection from the ISP to PC, would it speed up to around 500Kbps?  Actually I recorded 5.9Mbps download and 500Kbps upload using the broadband test, but that was through the router.  ??

The broadband test uses a different port, which the router allows. MSN uses a different range of ports, which might be blocked. If both users have access to the router config, they can forward the ports needed.