Shoutbox

starting - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: starting (/showthread.php?tid=68047)

starting by ins4ne on 11-04-2006 at 02:34 PM

ok guys. so i decided to start learning j(ava)script. i read that java- and jscript are the same. java-(netscape) and jscript(microsoft). so i wanted to start learning that freaky language. but now i got a problem. i wanted the buy a book like 'javascript for dummies' or whatever. my question: what book can you recommend me? im very new to this so it should have everything in, it should be easy to understand and have a lot of explanations and examples in it...

please dont refer me to msdn or how its called cause i was there and dont get anything of what they talk. + its very confusing.

thanks in advance

ps. i dont know if this is the correct section but i think it is cause it has to do with scripts. maybe its general chit-chat. dont know.

RE: starting by Ezra on 11-04-2006 at 03:35 PM

I suggest www.w3schools.com, it's more web based but if you get the hang of it, you should be able to understand the scripting documentation.

RE: starting by ins4ne on 11-04-2006 at 03:38 PM

w3schools.com... i think i was there once when i wanted to learn html. is this possible? yup it is :P but i gave it up cause it was too

quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
confusing
ill have a look though. btw im downloading 'javascript in 21 days'. is it a good one?
RE: starting by Ezra on 11-04-2006 at 03:48 PM

quote:
ill have a look though. btw im downloading 'javascript in 21 days'. is it a good one?

I don't know what that is, but if you thought html was confusing... then good luck!
RE: starting by ins4ne on 11-04-2006 at 03:49 PM

no i didnt think html was confusing. i thought the site was confusing

RE: starting by absorbation on 11-04-2006 at 03:52 PM

Javascript is easy. Don't let it bog you down, it's syntax is simple and the functions are easy to use. If you have any previous programming experience I would say you can learn javascript within minutes (I did, although I don't know that many functions) :P

I don't know how you can find html confusing. It is only confusing if you use a dodgy web host, like freewebs or pizco, they totally lead you the wrong way.

RE: starting by ins4ne on 11-04-2006 at 03:54 PM

quote:
no i didnt think html was confusing. i thought the site was confusing
and btw i dont have any programming experience except a few common things like making links in html or changing backgrounds and stuff... i think ill have much off work to do :( learning 10 other languages only to know how to use jscript :S
RE: starting by Jesus on 11-04-2006 at 04:10 PM

I learned Javascript through a w3schools tutorial, I know it's been mentioned earlier in this thread but I also recommend it.
btw Javascript is not exactly the same as Jscript but they have a lot in common so the w3schools javascript tut is really useful when you want to learn scripting.

RE: starting by ins4ne on 11-04-2006 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
the w3schools javascript tut is really useful when you want to learn scripting
ok. but they say i have to know HTML / XHTML.  and i only know some simple commands. do i really have to know html first before i start learning javascript?
RE: starting by Eljay on 11-04-2006 at 04:39 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
the w3schools javascript tut is really useful when you want to learn scripting
ok. but they say i have to know HTML / XHTML.  and i only know some simple commands. do i really have to know html first before i start learning javascript?

not really, especially as youre not going to be using it for websites but for mp!l scripts.
RE: starting by ins4ne on 11-04-2006 at 04:41 PM

ok :) thats is what i wanted to hear. im about to check the tut. looks really easy. some kinda logical :P and the examples are great. a bit childish but now i understand what i read :D