Shoutbox

Question about previous messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Question about previous messenger (/showthread.php?tid=68072)

Question about previous messenger by Spidey on 11-05-2006 at 12:15 AM

I'm wondering if I can delete the 7.5 messengerand plus 3 now that I have live messenger and live plus ..Can anyone clear this up up for me?

RE: Question about previous messenger by prashker on 11-05-2006 at 12:17 AM

Remove From Add / Remove

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

Locate 7.5 and Plus 3...And click "Change/Remove"

RE: Question about previous messenger by Spidey on 11-05-2006 at 12:21 AM

I know how to remove it I just want to be sure it wont affect the new messenger..

RE: Question about previous messenger by prashker on 11-05-2006 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spidey
I know how to remove it I just want to be sure it wont affect the new messenger..

Oh, it won't :)
RE: Question about previous messenger by Spidey on 11-05-2006 at 12:23 AM

Thank you

RE: Question about previous messenger by CookieRevised on 11-05-2006 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spidey
in normal circumstances: yes it would affect it....

This is because If you had installed Windows Live Messenger in the normal recomended way, it would have installed over your old MSN Messenger 7.x version.

In other words, you wont have MSN Messenger 7.x anymore to uninstall; it is already gone. So if you uninstall Messenger, you actually will remove Windows Live Messenger.

If you have moved the installation of MSN Messenger 7.x to another directory, then the chances are that MSN Messenger 7.x still exist. But again, you can't uninstall it because Windows wont find it. In order to uninstall MSN Messenger 7.x in this case:
1) exit and close every Messenger instance you've running
2) remove the directory where MSN Messenger 7.x is moved to
3) re-install (important!) Windows Live Messenger

--------------

As for Messenger Plus!Live, that is (by default) installed in a different directory than Messenger Plus!3. So you can safely uninstall Messenger Plus!3. The settings for Messenger Plus!Live are also stored in a different location in the registry, so no settings will be lost either.