Shoutbox

Free MyBB hosting.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Free MyBB hosting.. (/showthread.php?tid=68228)

Free MyBB hosting.. by Oxy on 11-09-2006 at 07:40 PM

Hi, i wanted to know if there are any webhosts that will host things such as PHP and MySQL for a MyBB site. i've tried google many a times, but all i've found is createmybb, which won't even let you upload your own emoticons..
So is there any other alternative?

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Jimbo on 11-09-2006 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skillz
Hi, i wanted to know if there are any webhosts that will host things such as PHP and MySQL for a MyBB site. i've tried google many a times, but all i've found is createmybb, which won't even let you upload your own emoticons..
So is there any other alternative?
createmybb lets you add your own emoticons if you upload them to a different server: eg: imageshack.us
RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Lourix on 11-09-2006 at 07:44 PM

www.teaspoondiner.net pretty good.

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Oxy on 11-09-2006 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
createmybb lets you add your own emoticons if you upload them to a different server

Ahh okay, well then, that's all i wanted.

Thanks Jimbodude!

* skillz reps Jimbodude
RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Jimbo on 11-09-2006 at 08:00 PM

quote:
quote:
createmybb lets you add your own emoticons if you upload them to a different server

Ahh okay, well then, that's all i wanted.

Thanks Jimbodude!

* skillz reps Jimbodude
Thanks for the rep
Whats the link to your forum(im assuming your making one) because i'll sign up if you want.

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Oxy on 11-09-2006 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Whats the link to your forum(im assuming your making one) because i'll sign up if you want.

Well, it wont be ready for a few days yet, but once it's done ill make sure i make it annouced..

BTW while im at it, any idea's for a name?..
RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Zahid™ on 11-09-2006 at 08:16 PM

quote:
* skillz reps Jimbodude
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/misc.php?action=help&hid=8
quote:
Comming
*Coming

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by NanaFreak on 11-09-2006 at 08:26 PM

also 110mb.com is alright it also has a panel and an online ftp and its free :cheesy:

edit: i just thought you will have to upload the files from mybb to set it up... if you need help i will be happy to help

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Kenji on 11-09-2006 at 08:28 PM

teaspoondiner > 9999mb.com > * > piczo :dodgy:

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Lourix on 11-09-2006 at 08:30 PM

Not sure about a name but what kind of forum is it any like?

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Oxy on 11-09-2006 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
Not sure about a name but what kind of forum is it any like?

Well, seing as it seems to be popular (especially here), i want it to be based around technology..

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Nagamasa on 11-09-2006 at 09:38 PM

Dont be a competitor to Felu! http://technoage.feluowns.com

It is already a pretty good forum. No point of making two forums of the same topic around the same area of people.

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Voldemort on 11-10-2006 at 12:22 AM

No point?
Why?
Because mess.be made one i cant?
because msgstuff made one i cant?
not really.
Although forums should be created only to solve a problem imho.

RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by Adeptus on 11-10-2006 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
No point?
Why?
Because mess.be made one i cant?
because msgstuff made one i cant?
not really.
Although forums should be created only to solve a problem imho.
I'd have to agree with NagamasaAzai on that one. 

It seems to be an all too common trend for people to make portal type websites dealing with broad topics (and, of course, all having forums).  A year later, 99.99% of them are either gone or have fewer than 50 posts and no visitors other than search engine robots.

The reason is obvious: people only have time to participate in so many forums on daily basis and it is all about community.  They will choose the forum that already has one established over one that has 20 users, posting once every 3 months each -- where they actually might get a timely response to their posts, or develop an interesting discussion. 

You might say "everybody started from nothing at one time" and to some degree that is true.  However, I suspect you will find virtually all of the successful attempts had a purpose and a close association with a popular product or website featuring good original content.

So, my advice to most would be to make your personal website personal.  Get a blog.  If you take pictures, get a gallery.  If you do something interesting, post it.  Give the URL to your friends, instead of a MySpace page.

If you do that right, you will probably have more regular visitors than you would with a completely non-original "technology site" and a forum.
RE: Free MyBB hosting.. by MC Inferno on 11-13-2006 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
I'd have to agree with NagamasaAzai on that one. 

It seems to be an all too common trend for people to make portal type websites dealing with broad topics (and, of course, all having forums).  A year later, 99.99% of them are either gone or have fewer than 50 posts and no visitors other than search engine robots.

The reason is obvious: people only have time to participate in so many forums on daily basis and it is all about community.  They will choose the forum that already has one established over one that has 20 users, posting once every 3 months each -- where they actually might get a timely response to their posts, or develop an interesting discussion. 

You might say "everybody started from nothing at one time" and to some degree that is true.  However, I suspect you will find virtually all of the successful attempts had a purpose and a close association with a popular product or website featuring good original content.

So, my advice to most would be to make your personal website personal.  Get a blog.  If you take pictures, get a gallery.  If you do something interesting, post it.  Give the URL to your friends, instead of a MySpace page.

If you do that right, you will probably have more regular visitors than you would with a completely non-original "technology site" and a forum.

I 100% Agree. Take A Look At http://www.mcinferno.co.uk/phpBB/index.htm For Proof Of This. :D