Shoutbox

Websites - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Websites (/showthread.php?tid=68250)

Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 04:55 PM

What is the most [Reliable] website for free translations

RE: Websites by ins4ne on 11-10-2006 at 04:58 PM

hm. let me think... a dictionnary? costs a few bucks and its better than every translation site :)

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 05:01 PM

:( But i want to look for a website :)

RE: Websites by ins4ne on 11-10-2006 at 05:06 PM

hm. try google translator. but the results are really dodgy. but you can understand what i phrase means.

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 05:09 PM

Hmm.
Link please?

RE: Websites by ins4ne on 11-10-2006 at 05:10 PM

ok wait a minute.

edit. there it is :)

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 05:12 PM

Ok,
But, is there any others?

RE: Websites by ins4ne on 11-10-2006 at 05:14 PM

you're welcome. tell me what language you want to have translated in english then i can search pages for you. i know one but it translates german-english, german-french and german-spanish. but im sure there are others.

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 05:16 PM

Urm
english to french :)

RE: Websites by ins4ne on 11-10-2006 at 05:17 PM

try google. i think it  translates. i never use google. only the one i told you in my previous post. but wait ill search one :)

edit: found this one

quote:
English to French
French to English

RE: Websites by Zahid™ on 11-10-2006 at 05:18 PM

They're not really reliable but heres another one:
http://babelfish.altavista.com

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 05:20 PM

Thanks
:)
I'll try it (Y)

RE: Websites by ins4ne on 11-10-2006 at 05:21 PM

hey thank zahid. that babalfish thingy looks good. many languages. i hope it translates good.

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 05:23 PM

How reliable is it Zahid?

RE: Websites by saralk on 11-10-2006 at 05:32 PM

There are no automated translation services that are reliable enough for you to (for example) write a letter in Lanuage A, and then get it translated into proper Language B to send to a native Language B Speaker.

However, most translation sites are used by people who (for example) receive a letter in Language B, and want to read it, so translate it into Language A.

The translations are usually nowhere near gramatically correct, and a lot of the time read in the wrong word order. However, with a bit of ingenuity, you are able to understand what they are saying.
The reason they are like that is because they just translate it word for word, even though all languages have different word orders (e.g. voulez vous in French, and do you want in English), some also have words where others don't (see previous example). French, for example, has a different verb form when talking to someone politely, wheras English doesn't, a computer can't pick this up. And sometimes words just aren't in the computer's dictionary.

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 05:35 PM

Oh :(
Damn,

RE: Websites by ins4ne on 11-10-2006 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
There are no automated translation services that are reliable enough for you to (for example) write a letter in Lanuage A, and then get it translated into proper Language B to send to a native Language B Speaker.

However, most translation sites are used by people who (for example) receive a letter in Language B, and want to read it, so translate it into Language A.

The translations are usually nowhere near gramatically correct, and a lot of the time read in the wrong word order. However, with a bit of ingenuity, you are able to understand what they are saying.
The reason they are like that is because they just translate it word for word, even though all languages have different word orders (e.g. voulez vous in French, and do you want in English), some also have words where others don't (see previous example). French, for example, has a different verb form when talking to someone politely, wheras English doesn't, a computer can't pick this up. And sometimes words just aren't in the computer's dictionary.

thats what i meant. and then you get those dodgy google translations :S
RE: Websites by absorbation on 11-10-2006 at 06:37 PM

Here is an example of Google translator's troubles:

I asked to to translate this:

quote:
hey there, stuff like this will not be translated correctly. The translation only translates words it knows.

The result into French was:

quote:
    hé là, la substance comme ceci ne sera pas traduite correctement. La traduction traduit seulement des mots qu'elle sait.

After translating back:

quote:
hé there, the substance as this will not be translated correctly. The translation translates only words which it knows.

Longer pieces of text turn out worse :P
RE: Websites by Jimbo on 11-10-2006 at 07:17 PM

I always use this one because i find it usually gives a good result and there are many language translation options.

RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 08:24 PM

I tried that one :)
I typed:
Hi i am testing this to see what its like
I got given(in french):
Salut j'essaie ceci pour voir ce que son aimé
Lol. and retyped it and got(french to english):
Good day I try this to see this that his liked one

RE: Websites by Jimbo on 11-10-2006 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
I tried that one :)
I typed:
Hi i am testing this to see what its like
I got given(in french):
Salut j'essaie ceci pour voir ce que son aimé
Lol. and retyped it and got(french to english):
Good day I try this to see this that his liked one
lol, oh well, you were never going to get the exact back were you?

RE: RE: Websites by EBFL on 11-10-2006 at 08:41 PM

lol, oh well, you were never going to get the exact back were you?

I suppose not :(
But i was hoping to get a reliable one to just like talk french or another language to my friends and they'd be like 'WTF?'
:P
RE: Websites by Nagamasa on 11-11-2006 at 12:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbodude
I always use this one because i find it usually gives a good result and there are many language translation options.

I use it too. It does make the stuff more gramatically correct when i change it from French... i.e from I am not to Je ne suis pas.....

As long as you apply your basics, it should be comprehendable...
RE: RE: RE: Websites by rav0 on 11-11-2006 at 04:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EnglandBoyForLife.
i was hoping to get a reliable one to just like talk french or another language to my friends and they'd be like 'WTF?'
:P
There isn't any auto translator that will give results that good.

In my (few) comparisions, Google and Babelfish give exactly the same results. I use Google, because the Babelfish anti-leech is too intrusive.

For some fun; Poetry in Translation uses Googles Automatic Translation service to translate sentences from English to German, then to French and then back to German again with sometimes funny results.