Shoutbox

New Message Audio Alert Script - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: New Message Audio Alert Script (/showthread.php?tid=68395)

New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 11-13-2006 at 04:48 AM

New Message Audio Alert Script

If anybody is interested, this script makes an audio alert every time a message is recieved, even if the window is in focus. It helps if you are the person that is back and forth from the computer, and would like to know if the person you are talking to has said something.

Make sure you go into the Windows Live Messenger options, then go to the Alerts and Sounds tab and disable the New Message Alert or you will here an echo when you recieve a message when a window is not in focus.

If you want to change the sound you hear when you recieve a message, go to the "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live\Scripts\New Message Alert" directory, and replace the "new_message.mp3" sound file with a different MP3 sound file. Make sure you keep the file name the same (new_message)

Special thanks to BigBob85 for helping me fix a bug in the script;)
RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by bigbob85 on 11-13-2006 at 01:18 PM

Hey, that looks familiar :P.

Works good, you forgot to tell people do disable sounds from within messenger, so they don't get double sounds.

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 11-13-2006 at 04:13 PM

Actually, if you look, i did mention that, thanks for the help with that script ;-)

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by bigbob85 on 11-14-2006 at 01:05 AM

Lol, my bad.

I really gota stop posting when I'm half asleep.

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by Psychotic-Retard on 11-14-2006 at 05:24 PM

it works great and i really needed sumthin like this good job

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by Gumby88 on 11-26-2006 at 09:06 PM

Could you make it for individual sends via thier email address?

That way it would make a different sound for different contacts?

Just a thought,gonna give it a go any how Thank you for this.

Gumby

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 11-28-2006 at 08:14 AM

I'll look into that, but I'm not that much of a scripter.

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by philseeman on 03-20-2007 at 05:02 PM

I notice this portion of the script:

//Makes sure the message isnt from you.
    if (Origin != Messenger.MyName){

However it's not working for me -- the sound plays even when I send a message. 

(I'm a software developer but am not up on MsgPlus scripting so I don't know how to query the values of Origin and MyName.)

Any idea why it would not be working as written?

- Phil

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 03-20-2007 at 06:08 PM

it does not work usually if you use a chat-only name. so if you use Messenger Discovery Live, or Stuff Plug to make your name different in conversation windows than in your contact list, that would be why, cause the script is looking for your name that appears on your contact list. when it sees a different name show up, it will make the sound. there might be a fix to this, i will have to look it up in the scripting documentation and get back to you

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by philseeman on 03-20-2007 at 06:44 PM

I don't use either of those.  The name as it shows in a conversation window is the same as I entered in Messenger's "My Display Name" in Personal options.

Does that help either clarify or muddle things?

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 03-20-2007 at 07:54 PM

well, come to find out, it does not work for one of my friends also, and she does use a regular name, no special characters in it or anything, so it is really weird, it does work for other people though, and me, so i will have to think about this one, thanks for bringing this up

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by philseeman on 03-20-2007 at 08:22 PM

If you want to send me a debug version of the script that displays the two variables being compared in the IF statement, I'd be happy to run it and report back.

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 03-20-2007 at 10:28 PM

i found a fix to this problem, and will release version 2 of my script in a few days possibly. Hopefully it will have no problems. ;)

what to look for in the next versions:

* /command to turn on/off the script
* A menu to allow you to easily change the sound that the script makes
* an option to have different sounds for different contacts

its going to be hard, but it can be done :P

NEED HELP!!! by mark7007 on 05-08-2007 at 02:21 PM

hi im having trouble with the echo wen the messege box is hidden, ive put a sound in there that i want, which works, but at the beggining of it it will play the old sound then the sound which i have put in there
can you help!!!

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 05-08-2007 at 03:29 PM

did you go into the regular windows live messenger options and then go to "alerts and sounds" and uncheck "new message"?

about the update i was talking about above, sorry about that, i've been a little busy with other things

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by Nitro40 on 12-12-2007 at 11:37 PM

I cannot get this script to work either.  I am running Windows Live Messenger Version 2008 (Build 8.55.1302.1018).  I have this same script running on other computers in the house. 

I really like it making sounds when the window has focus, as I can walk away and still know when someone sends a message.

You talked about a new version (about a year ago).  Just wondering if the new version is ready? 

Thanks,

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 12-13-2007 at 07:42 PM

im sorry man, but i dont do scripts anymore, and no i haven't got around to making a new version, other things came up : (

hope you fix your issue though : )

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by davidpolitis on 12-14-2007 at 11:20 AM

New version by me attached below. No need to disable New Message Alert anymore. Nothing new though, unless I decide to expand it. :P

RE: RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by kvnhmmd on 12-14-2007 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
New version by me attached below. No need to disable New Message Alert anymore. Nothing new though, unless I decide to expand it. :P

cool man ;)

i was always somewhat of a noob at scripts anyway :$
RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by davidpolitis on 12-14-2007 at 09:51 PM

I've started to rewrite it with a config window. Everything is almost finished, just a few errors that need fixing.

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by CookieRevised on 12-14-2007 at 10:01 PM

Improvements:

quote:
Originally posted by kvnhmmd
it does not work usually if you use a chat-only name. so if you use Messenger Discovery Live, or Stuff Plug to make your name different in conversation windows than in your contact list, that would be why, cause the script is looking for your name that appears on your contact list. when it sees a different name show up, it will make the sound. there might be a fix to this, i will have to look it up in the scripting documentation and get back to you
See CookieRevised's reply to [Fix] Problem with OnEvent_ChatWndRecieveMessage's Origin

quote:
Originally posted by bigbob85
Hey, that looks familiar :P.

Works good, you forgot to tell people do disable sounds from within messenger, so they don't get double sounds.
This can easly be fixed in the script so the user doesn't need to disable/enable the options in Messenger at all...

Simply check:
1) Get the name of the default sound used in messenger to notify new messages. (aka: registry check).

Note: if you add an option panel to change the sound, it is not a bad idea to still do this check and let the user choose between two radio buttons, one with the default sound, and one with a textbox and browse button to select his own sound.

2) Check if sounds are enabled in Messenger (again a registry check). If so check if the chat window which recieved the message is in focus or not. If it is not in focus, play the sound found in step 1, if it is in focus, do nothing (messenger will make a sound).

3) If the sounds are disabled in Messenger, play the sound even when the chat window was not in focus.

PS: don't forget about:

1) To check the option in Messenger to not give notifications when there is a full screen application.
2) To check the option in Messenger Plus! to not play sounds when you're status is busy.
3) To check the option in Messenger Plus! to not play sounds when you have a media personal message
4) Not play anything at all if Messenger is locked.

(or at least have options for all this - which should all be on by default = no sounds when: locked, "full screen app" option is checked, "busy" option is unchecked or "media" option is checked).
RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by bigbob85 on 12-14-2007 at 11:00 PM

How would you actualy detect if a full screen program is running though?

RE: New Message Audio Alert Script by georgea on 08-21-2008 at 09:52 PM

hi...
i have the script and thinks it quality but i was just wondering if you could turn it off whenever u wanted or did it already say it and i missed it lol...

thanks george...