Shoutbox

[request] custom nickname (that i think will work) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) (/showthread.php?tid=68412)

[request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by Jimbo on 11-13-2006 at 08:34 PM

Well many people have been wanting a custom nickname for each contact and i think i have found a sort of way of doing it.

Step 1
As you open a conv with a certain contact it blocks all other contacts and changes your name to something
Step 2
When this conversation is closed, all contacts and unblocked and thn the process repeats itself.

I think this would take a quite higly skilled scripter as it would need a GUI so you could set different nicknames for each contact

Maybe no one else likes the idea but i do.

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by Weyzza on 11-13-2006 at 09:03 PM

I think your idea will fail in certain aspects.

1. It takes time to block all but one contact, hence it'll make your Messenger "slow"

2. Before you open the conversation window, your special contact will still be able to see your "public" nickname :p
If I understand correctly, your custom nickname will only be used during a conversation.

Another thing, people will see you offline/appearing offline when you are chatting with a person :p

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by Psychotic-Retard on 11-14-2006 at 05:29 PM

and that could mean ur only able to talk to 1 person at a time because it blocks all other contacts

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by Jimbo on 11-14-2006 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Psychotic-Retard
and that could mean ur only able to talk to 1 person at a time because it blocks all other contacts
well yes but i rarely talk to more than 1 contact

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by deAd on 11-14-2006 at 09:52 PM

As soon as you unblock them your new nickname is updated for them...

Also, blocking everybody but one contact will cause a lot of lag.

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by MicroWay on 11-14-2006 at 10:13 PM

In StuffPlug there is an opition called "Chat Only Name" that if you're called as "Jimbodude > Hello to all", you can set this chat only name as only Jimbodude... But for all contacts it will appear when you type: "Jimbodude says:"...
This "Chat Only Name" was subject in other posts.
But remember:
-> StuffPlug 2 is only for MSN 7 and in 95% funcionality with MSN 7,5...
-> StuffPlug 3 is gonna be for WLM 8 (don't know about compatibility with 8.1). But is going to be released some day...
-> StuffPlug Website
;)

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by Spunky on 11-15-2006 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay
-> StuffPlug 3 is gonna be for WLM 8 (don't know about compatibility with 8.1). But is going to be released some day...

Messenger Discovery Live has it...
RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by MicroWay on 11-15-2006 at 12:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
Originally posted by MicroWay

Messenger Discovery Live has it...

I realy didn't knew it... Thanks ;)

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by Spunky on 11-15-2006 at 12:46 AM

[offtopic]
Then again, I trust Messenger Discovery Live as far as I could metophorically throw it. When I started getting messages saying "I Has tried to message flood you", I was a bit nervous. Not slating the author of the program as I'm sure it's all hard to code and so on, but some things about it really don't appeal to me. I'm scared to uninstall it after seeing JimboDude's screenshot AFTER he'd uninstalled... I digress :p
[/offtopic]

Only use it if you're confident you want it lol

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by trini on 11-15-2006 at 10:39 PM

[OT]
Lol, you can disable those notifications about flooding and profanity :D And if already those messages did scare you ,I wonder how much it's possible to scare you with !imitate command :p:p

But yes, MDL has the possibility to custom nick, and the option works just perfectly (Y)

RE: [request] custom nickname (that i think will work) by Plan-1130 on 11-15-2006 at 11:30 PM

StuffPlug 2 actually changed the name for you too, MDL just sends it to your contact...
But MDL has had a lot of trouble making bugs that prevented you from signing in... (For the first time since MessengerDiscoverX it finally works for me now...)